1:16 Heng Long Tiger I makeover. Conversion to lateTiger I - FINISHED

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
4 years 11 months ago #31 by Bishop
I typed a post about what I've done on this, but it has vanished. Lots done, but I'm now away for the week for work so I will try to retype things when I return Saturday. Have a nice week all.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #32 by Tiger
Smashing stuff Bishop.
Those new goodies you have got look superb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
4 years 11 months ago #33 by Kiwimav
Masterful work Bish, really like how all the lil extras and loads of patience and time, you bring these huge scale beast to life...awesome stuff...watching in awe bud

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 11 months ago #34 by grover
those addons look great. Are the hatched die-cast?

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
4 years 11 months ago #35 by Bishop
Grover, yes they are die-cast, well done too. Some of the large scale die-cast stuff is ... well... not so good. Anyway, hello all, I've returned from the week away with work and have had a few hours in the junk room. Just a quick update. The best news is that I could get the rear decking off the late DML Tiger so I could have access to the Verlinden HL 230. This means I can now reproduce it in 1:16. Its a great little model of the engine. I may make a fake to replace it so that I can keep it out of the Tiger and use it in other builds.

I've also finished lining the interior of the hull, all that is necessary anyway, and can turn to making the two bulkheads, the forward one between the forward crew and the turret basket and the main firewall between the turret basket and the engine/ cooling units area. Once this is done I'll add the plastic sheeting to the exterior of the hull and begin the zimmeriting process. THEN, the interior construction can begin. I'm working on the hull first.

So that the interior work can start I've sorted out the axle for the drive sprockets and have added plastic tubing to keep the sprockets the right distance from the hull side. Using plastic around the brass axle allows me to glue things in place with normal glue rather than splashing mountains of CA about. So, photos

The engine and the linings.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #36 by Bishop
The "mud flaps have been moved to the correct position. They were molded pointing downwards :blink:

The axle and the sprockets sitting in place for the photo

And the rings the forward crew hatches sit on both completed. The hatches are sitting there not yet glued as they will need cleaning up and further details will be required. They work nicely now that I've worked out to position them correctly when open.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #37 by Xtr3meNZer
Nice work! That engine looks awesome

More
4 years 11 months ago #38 by Maarten

Xtr3meNZer wrote: Nice work! That engine looks awesome

i entirely agree

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #39 by Bishop
I can take no credit for the engine (I haven't made the large scale one yet), but it certainly is awesome. Hats off to Verlinden for that one.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 11 months ago #40 by Tiger
Again, awesome work here :woohoo:

More
4 years 11 months ago #41 by Maarten

Bishop wrote: I can take no credit for the engine (I haven't made the large scale one yet), but it certainly is awesome. Hats off to Verlinden for that one.

Than i'll take my comment back ;)

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago #42 by Von Drinkoften
I like the looks of that engine. Looks to be progressing well. B)

More
4 years 11 months ago #43 by Bishop
Some photos of the zimmerit slowly going on. The process involves gluing thin plastic sheets over the parts of the hull you want the zimmerit to appear and then doing the old school melting thingy. This allows you to do a number of things you can't do when using plaster/ bog/ putty etc. You can make the coating as new or as damaged old as you like. You can cut and shape the places to be zimmerited as you like. You can't start the process and then stop when you are bored out of your scone and simply turn the soldering iron off. You can then come back when you have half an hour or so and do some more. You can simply peel the plastic off and have another go if you stuff it up and you can cover up a whole lot of stuff underneath the plastic sheets. Down side, its boring, other down side, it uses lots of plastic and only really works in this scale. Purists will laugh and say that I'm just too scare to try using putty (which is true :lol: ), but I really like the way this turns out. I'm doing a fairly new vehicle so the zimmerit is still pretty good. I still need to do the rear and the right hand side then the hull is done. I'll not do the turret until I've done the interior of the hull. A bit like the Tiger II this is really a two model build until such times as its time to blend things together. This will come about the time I want to align the turret basket to the hull flooring.

What I do need to do is go back and check the Tiger I timeline so that I get the build date right and then include all the relevant variations. At present I'm building an early 44 Tiger with the older muzzle brake (April 44 for the smaller one), and the standard turret hatches. I will try to match the hull and turret to a particular month, though there was always variations to be found. Looking at the interior I am wishing that there were 1:16 aftermarket examples of the engine and transmission. These will be major builds in themselves. I also wish there were aftermarket examples of the MG ammo bags. These are a paint to reproduce. What I won't have for the turret is a cupola MG, but I do have the mount so will go with the MG being installed in the ball mount. So, photos
These show the plastic sheets in place and the progress with the zimmerit

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #44 by Bishop
I should add that the strip (they are cut into four sections) you can see running down the length of the hull sides will actually mount the fenders. I decided to add them before adding the sheets to be melted so that I could have the fenders sit in the right place rather than trying to attach them over the top of the zimmerit. The strips are much wider than the fender mounts actually are as the bottom half will mount L shaped plastic strips the fenders will be glued onto. It is the same way that I did the fenders on the Kursk Tiger, the only difference being that I will be constructing the fenders "glued to the tank" as it were rather than making them and then trying to glue them in place. :huh: It makes sense to me :lol: so stay tuned
I'm so glad of these armoured transmission mount covers.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #45 by Bishop
I should add that to blend in the edges and fill certain gaps as per the rear of the hull (some bits still need trimming), I will actually use putty

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 11 months ago #46 by Tiger
Wow Bishop, that looks awesome.
Very slow and tedious I bet but end result will make it worth it :woohoo:

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #47 by Von Drinkoften
That zimmerite looks very good.

For my first Tiger 1 (early) I was considering doing it in an overall panzer grey scheme on the Eastern front and possibly with a white wash.
As you can tell, I haven't put much work into looking up reference material yet but was wondering if the zimmerite would have been applied to these units as well?
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Von Drinkoften.

More
4 years 11 months ago #48 by Bishop
It is estimated that there were only four Tigers that wore the German grey before the new orders re Dark Yellow were introduced. They were to be seen in Leningrad and white wash would do well. You need to make sure you have the right stowage bin(s) for the turret. Some had the smaller preproduction bin, others a Pz III bin and others had two bins one in either side of the turret. I'll give you some links to reference sites when I get home tonight for you to check out.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Von Drinkoften

More
4 years 11 months ago #49 by Bishop
Ha, so much for "tonight". Life is crazy busy, but I'm stopping every so often to work on this a bit. Anyway, VonD here is the link. This is a great site. There is one other I'll hunt up for you.

www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 11 months ago #50 by Bishop
A quick update as not much has happened. The Hull zimmerit is all but done, just a few spots on the rear to finish. The Mantlet zimmerit is also almost done with just a few spots to add filler to to join the sides with the existing pattern. The turret has been started. This meant creating the new side hatch to replace the early one. I was going to leave this till later, but realised that I needed the hatch to be able to match the zimmerit pattern. I will also need to make the bottom holders for the spare tracks. These will need to go in to place before the rest of the zimmeriting is done. Thankfully I've been able to open up the rest of the Verlinden interior Tiger hull so I'll be able to get all the measurements I'll need to create the interior parts. This will be an April 44 turret so I've had to change the muzzle brake for one of the brass ones that came with the replacement barrels. By this time the smaller muzzle was part of production. So next up is the construction of 7 spare track racks for the turret sides.
Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #51 by Bishop
And

Turret shot 1

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #52 by Bishop
And the rest of the turret and hatch interior. The interior has had a shot of red oxide so that the locking bolt (pictured Nato black), can be set in place with a pin that will go into the hole (waiting to be painted), that has been cut into the bolt. This will make more sense once its assembled. What the photos don't show is that I've moved the original hole I cut in the side of the turret down 2mm as it was sitting too high for the later style hatch. I was going to leave it, but well, you know... :whistle:
Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #53 by Maarten

Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #54 by Xtr3meNZer

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago #55 by Von Drinkoften
That interior is looking very busy already. Awesome work mate.

Many thanks for the link. I'll have a good look over that site later this evening.
The kit I was intending to use is the Academy "early" Tiger 1. So not sure what it has/doesn't have in the way of turret detailing etc.

More
4 years 11 months ago #56 by Bishop
Its a 43 vehicle with most of the standard features, but still with the HL 210 rather than the HL 230 engine. It is a terrible kit to build, but if you have the interior details they build up nicely, and the engine is a very nice HL210

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 11 months ago #57 by Tiger
Nice Bishop, envious of your skills here :)

More
4 years 10 months ago #58 by Bishop
So busy with work its not funny, but I've plugged away at various things in short bursts and have finished the zimmerit, the details of the turret side hatch, the feet for the spare track holders and the rear firewall. Its rather nice to have actually started on the interior and the next stop will be the engine. Time for some major scratch building not unlike the winch in the BergePanther. I had to adjust the inner walls of the lower hull as I'd made them too narrow, however everything is now pretty good, being only 1mm too wide. I won't complain about that. There will be a lot to hide as far as the inaccurate suspension is concerned and quite a bit of fake suspension to add, BUT, for now, then engine is next.... once I've finished adjusting the spare tracks to make them presentable.
Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #59 by Bishop
And
Turret zimmerit part 1.

The side hatch with the bar in place and the white peg thingy holding it place I was trying to explain the other day :lol:

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #60 by Bishop
And finally more zimmerit and one completed piece of spare track with the others waiting for sanding.

The zimmerit went on okay, but the thing that brought it all to life with giving it all a good sanding to remove the rough extra melted plastic. This gave it some uniformity, but more like the real thing. The real life stuff was never as uniform as the models or aftermarket stick on things are concerned as the coatings were done by people who had a deadline to meet rather than modellers trying to get it authentic. A little like the D Day stripes on the planes. Anyway, on now to the engine and the components of the rear engine/ fuel and cooling areas.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary