1:16 Heng Long Tiger I makeover. Conversion to lateTiger I - FINISHED

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
4 years 7 months ago #271 by Bishop
They are very expensive, but well worth it. I would still love their Tiger II, but been there done that, hence the JagdTiger. The cost has been the reason I've gone for busted Heng Long examples.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #272 by Bishop
The interior roof is now finished with everything (minus the gun sight bracket), in place. There are wires hanging everywhere ready for mics and headphones etc. Everything is ready for a final clean up and then for particular top coats depending on the item. The commander's hatch mechanism actually works as does the loader's hatch push arm. The loader's hatch will also lock in place when required. I shall now give the rest of the turret interior it's base coat as well then I can paint and weather and close it all down.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 7 months ago #273 by Maarten

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
4 years 7 months ago #274 by Nosferatu
Inspiring!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
4 years 7 months ago #275 by Wally
What they say + 20 x EXTRAORDINARIES!!!!
A pleasure to watch the master at work ...

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
4 years 7 months ago #276 by Tiger
Truly friggin amazing :woohoo:

More
4 years 7 months ago #277 by Bishop
I literally have four things left to make for the interior, the headphones and mics for the hull crew. The rest is ready in the turret for me to weather. I confess I feel like I've run out of steam so I'm going to start some exterior work to psych myself up for weathering stuff. The only tricky thing left will be to plug the turret wires into their slots and get the lengths right so I can shut the roof. I can't do that till I weather everything and so need the mojo back for that. I should have it all done by Christmas as suspected, but we shall see. The one thing I'm not going to do is rush it. I must say I am looking forward to the umber wash. I rely on this to add the brown tinge to the interior grey so that it takes on the ivory hue I want. Almost ready to start the exterior makeover. As there is now a KVI coming on the scene I want to keep moving, but as I'm not rushing I'm happy to do both at once. Photos to follow after Pizza... its pizza night and its arrived and one must have one's priorities right.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 7 months ago #278 by Bishop
And the photos These just show everything painted except for the headphones and mics. The wires await pluging in :S and the chain waits to be attached to the gun when it is installed. The gun sight bracket also needs to be trimmed when the roof is ready to go on. I'll paint the radio gear and then just let it all settle before the big push to shut it. There is also a photo of the stowage bin which has had a new outer layer added to give it the right dimensions, I just wasn't happy with how it was. It is one thing to be able to look at a make believe interior through hatches, but in 1:16 you really can't get away with too much nonsense on the exterior. I will come back to the turret exterior shortly, but it is time to return to the hull and start the outside work. It has all been in bits for so long I can't wait to see it all come back together.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #279 by Bishop
And

And a quick shot of the bin makeover

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #280 by Bishop
So, I'm currently doing various exterior things such as putting on the fenders and working on the engine deck. The main adjustment on the rear is the deck cover for the rear of the engine bay. Various things were dropped and the hatch locking block was shifted to the right (stage left for all you actors out there), The hook on the engine cover was able to be moved because the air filter set up was removed by this point. The fenders were a right pain in the bottom (so much easier for some reason on the Kursk Tiger I), but they now look okay. As this is a relatively new Tiger to the front they are still in okay nick. The rear fenders will be added as we go. I've done the initial weathering (canvasing up), of the spent shell bag. Hard to believe it was once a Duplo block. The engine deck grills have been prepared and some "something inside" detail has been added to the section that opens up a little to reveal the fans. The inner grating is actually much thicker, but I have no idea how it fitted in the space. It certainly doesn't in the DML Tigers. :whistle: :lol:

So, photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #281 by Bishop
I forgot to mention that the very first item I made for this, the engine, has now finally got some paint on it. Early days yet, but I'm ridiculously proud of it. Pathetic really :lol:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 7 months ago #282 by Bishop
I have been tearing a KVI apart so have done little on this yesterday. I have thankfully fashioned the latches for the engine cover and radiator grills. These hooks are simply molded on to the engine deck on this models so its a job one must do each makeover. Hate it, but I'm pleased with how these have turned out. Photos to follow when they are finished and fitted.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 7 months ago #283 by Bishop
Okay, shots of the rear decking ready. I've decided that I'll attach the hull roof as it will be a hassle to remove cables and so forth when I want to take it off. You can still see just about everything through all the holes anyway. So, it really now is time to finish and weather the interior so I can lock it all down. The engine will remain removable.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #284 by Grant
Just catching up on you thread. Amazing work as usual! :cheer:

More
4 years 7 months ago #285 by Powder

Grant wrote: Just catching up on your thread.

Same here.

The engine looks great. When it's still in the colour of the raw materials it looks like a scratch-built model assembly - but now it looks like it's ready to start making broom-broom noises.
I hope you stick at this one - that KV-1 must be very distracting. :)

More
4 years 7 months ago #286 by Bishop
Thanks guys. Oh yes I'm quietly plugging on with this and the KV1 is just the distraction I needed to catch my breath. I'll now start the interior weathering as the exterior is beconing.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 7 months ago #287 by Bishop
Skirting around the interior weathering by doing some outside work and preparatory work on the engine area before closing down. The photos show the now prepared exhausts, ready to be attached and to be painted along with the rest of the hull when the time comes, and the installed cooling fan ready for weathering and the attachment of the armoured deck grill. This needs now to be weathered and that will give me the push to get on with the rest. It seems strange to be placing this decking first, but this will help me to line up all the other decking as I move forward to the main section and back around to the other fan section. I'll finish with the engine cover. I'm doing things this way as I know that everything will need to be adjusted before fitting (sanding, adding plastic etc), so this will allow me to put the puzzle together a piece at a time rather than trying to adjust the main section (for example), to fit a whole lot of differing pieces all at once. Makes sense to me anyway :silly:

So just a few shots to give the idea.

The engine area

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #288 by Bishop
And the exhausts. These are all in base coats and once the area is all painted I'll be able to go back and add the rust etc I want. The mufflers had two mounting points a piece so I removed the top ones a filled the holes to allow the muffler to stand away from the hull wall. I chopped off the silly detail from the muffler tops and added the pop up caps to each.

Shots of the progress and sitting in place not yet glued.

It really is now time for the weathering.... but I do need to sort out the jack.... :whistle:

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #289 by Viperbuilder
Truly awesome work once again Bishop and a pleasure to follow.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
4 years 7 months ago #290 by Bishop
The turret interior is weathered and the roof is on :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: That was one thing I was not looking forward to. Once I started the weathering I remembered how much I enjoy it. It is now rough enough inside for a newer Tiger coming in for a service. Thankfully all the wires have fitting in place as has the mount for the telescopic sight. The roof has gone on nicely now that the gun is secured and the chain from the recoil cylinder is now attached to it. I was worried about whether I could get the rough on level, but CA gluing sections at a time has ensured a smooth attachment. I can now go round and fill the holes that came with cutting it off the top of the turret. As one member said, it is indeed a scary thing to hack these models up as you have no idea if they'll fit together again. So its very nice to have this turret back in one piece the way I wanted it. The SD card filled before I could finish taking photos so here are the 5 I was able to get. I've cleared space now so can go and get some more.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #291 by Bishop
And some of the roof on, the last showing the changing of the welding details at the front of the roof. Just under some black to see what filling needs to be done. And some shots through the hatches to show that all the detail is not actually wasted. With a light inside you'll see the lot.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Bishop.

More
4 years 7 months ago #292 by Bishop
So, yesterday I finally attached the various parts of the turret roof and glued it all in place. It took 6 months as suspected. Stupidly I forgot to post a shot of the weathered interior so you can't see it all now, but in person the detail is not lost. It just doesn't show up in my dreadful pictures :lol: It is a good thing I did attach the roof as it would never have sat there otherwise. The main thing is that it all fits and I can finally move on to the outside in earnest. I will clean up the areas where the bog reigns supreme at present, do some rescribing and then work out how to add the welds. This AFV will require a mixture of scribing with the dremel and welding with the putty. A lot of it is thankfully covered by the zimmerit. Today I'm painting the wheels. and the area under the sponsons. I need to add welds to the tongues of the front and rear hull plates, but I think I will scribe these as they aren't seen, the just need to be there. The wheels will have the black/ hull red/ yellow treatment, but I will paint the interior surfaces will old paint stocks I have rather than wasting the main colours. I have lots of OD from the Sherman days which will go off if not used.

So, photos.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #293 by Bishop

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #294 by Bishop
And finally

The engine bay now needs to be completed with lips for the hatch to rest upon. This will not be glued in place so to allow removal of the engine.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #295 by Nosferatu
Bishop....I dont know what to say mate...I follow your builds and I understand the volume of work you put in and yet when I see the results..Its still astonishing. You sir..are an inspiration....Bravo!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
4 years 6 months ago #296 by Bishop
Nosferatu, thank you for that. I just wish I was half as good as you guys at a whole lot of things. My plane still sits in pieces because I still don't feel confident enough with an airbrush and you guys are across the ditch so I can't pop around and watch while you all paint things. Funny how it works. Anyway, yesterday I painted the wheels and put them all in place. I then broke one of the mounts for the drive wheels and then realised that the set up I has wasn't strong enough for the metal tracks and that I could have kept the complete brass rod hidden behind the transmission and then realised that I also needed spacers on the outside of the cogs so that the drive cogs wouldn't move out of alignment and rip the front off. So, I watched more of the making of the Lord of the Rings and waited for the shops to open this morning. A new brass tube now joins the front axles to make them one (like that ring), and an old cotton reel has been chopped into two spacers so now, finally, the whole thing fits together. A link each side came off the tracks to that I'd get the right sag and blow me down, the money spent on getting the metal wheels and tracks to go with them has paid off.

They look great, but they will tear the fenders off in a minute as on the real deal. The hull is now so heavy I could use it for weights training. It makes the whole thing feel and look awesome, but I'll have to wait until the tracks are finally installed before gluing on the rear fenders. It made me realise yet again just how heavy the 1:1 is and how both incredibly reassuring and incredibly dangerous it must have felt and been to ride in one to war. Changing wheels and tracks would have seemed worse than a transfer to the Russian front (even for Klink :lol: ).

So, photos

Yesterday, a lovely cool sunny day in High Summer. Perfect for a beer and some painting. And then today the fitting of the tracks and some weight training. These tracks feel like you're carrying a belt of ammo and they behave like tracks should. So glad I bought some for the KV1. My only real problem is that I don't want to weather them. A dust up perhaps. We shall see.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #297 by Bishop
And a walk around of the tracks.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 6 months ago #298 by grover

Nosferatu wrote: Bishop....I dont know what to say mate...I follow your builds and I understand the volume of work you put in and yet when I see the results..Its still astonishing. You sir..are an inspiration....Bravo!

Well said mate. Yup, I feel privileged to see these builds come together.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
4 years 6 months ago #299 by Bishop
Starting to populate the rear of the hull now. The jack is a spare Panther one (same jack), with the crank adjusted as per storage on the rear of the Tiger. The engine starter adapter has been brought up to late Tiger specs and has now returned home between the exhaust cowls. Both the C shackles have been scratched together and are now being bogged up before final shaping and the adding of texture. As with the F05 Tiger these shackles actually work, the middles turning to allow them to be attached to the towing Ubolts. These will sit on the front as the Tiger has come in for an engine change. This will mean that I'll be creating brackets for the hull top and rear mounts for these and leaving them empty. I'm using the Ubolts as they came with the tank, apart from a clean up, as they are a perfectly good representation of the real deal. I've also scratched a new aerial container which sits in the rear right hand corner of the hull roof. I'll also need to create an aerial base as these HL Tigers lack one for some reason.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #300 by Xtr3meNZer
Loys of details... as per usual lol. This is going to look fantastic

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary