1:16 Heng Long Tiger I makeover. Conversion to lateTiger I - FINISHED

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
4 years 8 months ago #241 by Bishop
I must say I can't wait to get to weathering all of this interior.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #242 by Xtr3meNZer
Looking great man. I would have been very surprised if you weren't able to fit it all nicely together dude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
4 years 8 months ago #243 by Bishop
Finally an update. These show various things under construction, the turret motor (the turret basket end of things), the commander's turret control from which the gunner's controls will get their power and the hull deck. The turret power equipment all links together. This will all become obvious once its made :whistle:

On the deck the new armoured cover for the forward crew air vent the vision blocks for the forward hatches and the armoured ring (shot protector), have all been added. The shot protector comes from the Verlinden Tiger so has been cut down a tad and bent into the right shape while being glued in place. The existing bolt holes will be filled and re-drilled in the correct spots.

So, photos

The completed detail on the gun. This includes the two gun travel locks that hook the gun to the armour running across the roof above the mantlet. The other locking arms are further back on the roof towards the crew. These shall be constructed with the other roof details.

Various pieces painted

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #244 by Bishop
These photos relate to the turret basket and hull roof.

I was very fortunate to still have 4 of the Verlinden vision blocks. I prepared 2 for these hatches and there is a third that will fit into the turret roof. These were completely incorrect for the commander's cupola, but the correct ones will be easy to scratch. Thankfully with a little adjustment these Verlinden ones were perfect for the hatches.

This gives the roughest idea of where things sit

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #245 by Bishop
So for now I will continue with the turret controls and I shall then move on to the gun elevation mechanism. Once this is all in place I'll make up the seats and the other turret interior details. I'll have to paint things as I go along as it will be impossible to reach everything as the basket is populated. There will be three seats to make, but unlike the Tiger II no bicycle seats are required. With these Tiger Is it was comfort all the way.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 8 months ago #246 by yak
:ohmy: you're really making this look amazing

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

More
4 years 8 months ago #247 by Tiger
What Yak said :whistle:
Attention to detail is just .......um........WOW!!!!

More
4 years 8 months ago #248 by Bishop
Thank you all. I've now managed, somewhat satisfactorily, to install the gun elevator mechanism. I've had to cut and shunt things to get them to fit closely enough to match the dodgy dimensions of the turret floor. Hmmmmm. Not the best, but not so noticeable. I was toying with the idea of having an open roof, but not now. Heehee. More shots today I hope. The gun has it's first coats of paint on too. It will have to be glued in place so needs to be sorted before hand.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 8 months ago #249 by Bishop
Incredibly I'm actually able to make an update. Finally a week of light duties. So, the breech etc has had a base coat, the usual three actually. Black, a dusting of red oxide and ivory. Everything now needs to be painted to bring it to life, but it is, yet again, an amazing moment when all the scratching around is blended under paint. The turret is being slowly populated with all the main components (almost), being fitted together roughly as they should be. This is actually as big a day as the locating of the turret basket within the hull setup was. All that needs to be added of the major hardware is the gunner's turret rotator seen under construction in the photos. The turret locator and the large recoil cylinder also need to be added along with the three seats, then its the detailed fit out of crew gear to follow. The other item to appear will be the fuse box. This used to be on the rear wall, but in the updated turret is moved to the forward turret basket arm and slung under the boom. The large recoil cylinder moves from beside the loader to the space beside the commander, no longer running along the turret wall, but from the ceiling to the floor. It will be connected to the gun via a chain. A rambling post sorry, but I'm somewhat exhausted, so on with the photos.

The gunner's rotating mechanism

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #250 by Bishop
And beauty shots of various things around the turret with the gun just sitting there.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #251 by Xtr3meNZer
Amazing, truly looking awesome mate

More
4 years 8 months ago #252 by Bishop
A bit further along. The main components are now mostly done, with lots of details to add. Basically everything fits. Under construction at present is the recoil cylinder and attachment bracket for the gun. The seats are all done and the turret ring teeth have now been installed. For the Tiger II I used L shape evergreen for the teeth. This time I've gone the easy route (as it is all covered anyway, and have used the internals of a giant bubble blower thingy. The ends of four of these were, if you recall, used as part of the engine cooling fans. The gunner's turret rotation control is in place as is the turret position indicator. There is a huge amount to do, but its nice to see the place being to be populated.

Photos

The loader's side with seat and turret ring lock now installed.

The commander and gunner's positions with seats etc

The commander's seat and the partially constructed recoil cylinder and holder

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #253 by Bishop
Next up a closer view of the turret position indicator and rotating mechanism for the gunner

First shot with the gun sitting in there for fun

And another

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #254 by Bishop
And finally three shots of the bubble blower thingy in place.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #255 by Bishop
What I didn't mention or show is that the gunner's foot pedals are also completed and installed. Next up the finishing of the recoil cylinder and the two side wall vision ports. These are rather complicated beggars, but there is a lot of info around about them so all is good. Then it is time for a bolt head fest... all over the interior. :S

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 8 months ago #256 by Bishop
Finally an update. I have been furiously building interior bits and have taken photos along the way. The first ones are from a few days ago and the last from this evening. I now literally have three items left to build in the turret, the MP 40 holder you can see under construction in one of the shots, one of the gun triggers and the mechanical arm from the gunner's foot pedal to the Mantlet MG. Once this is all done I can then start on the roof. I've ended up building one of the final Tiger interiors so I'll add the crane mounting sockets to the roof to make this post July 44. The final turret interior is bascally free of boxes and hooks for water bottles etc as everything was bundled into the stowage "troughs" around the turret wall. The roof will have quite a bit of detail, but more about that as we go through it. To bring the hull detail up to speed I've swapped out the driver's vision block turn handle and replaced it with a wheel. This should actually have only three spokes, but you didn't know that so just ignore the 4th :whistle:

So photos.

These are the two turret side vision blocks, the only two of this type that remain in the later turret.

This shows the recoil cylinder now in place with its rolling arm that has the chain attachment ready to be mated with the gun

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #257 by Bishop
The next shots show the uninstalled junction box (this used to be on the rear wall of the turret, but was moved under the boom when the turret was redesigned), and the gunner's foot pedals in place. The bracket for the MG remote firing mechanism will be joined to the front of the pedal that is joined directly to the turret traverse gear box.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #258 by Bishop
We now move to the shots of things as they stand tonight. The stowage is in and various bits of wiring are in place. The main gun trigger is now in place behind the gun elevation wheel on the boom.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #259 by Bishop
And finally

Wiring

The MP40 mount to be

And the updated wheel

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #260 by Bishop
It is almost to the point where I can start some serious painting, but I will make sure the roof is done so I don't lose momentum. I can't believe I've been at this so long and haven't even started the exterior yet (well sort of).

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 8 months ago #261 by Maarten
Structures of surpassing magnificence !

''I looked this one up''

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

More
4 years 8 months ago #262 by Nosferatu
It is an absolute pleasure to watch your work...

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
4 years 8 months ago #263 by Xtr3meNZer
So close to painting! I'm excited for you!

More
4 years 7 months ago #264 by Bishop
A quick update. Work is mad again, but I'm making sure I grab every moment at the bench. The turret is finished apart from some bolts I've changed out and in that need sanding. The round ones you see at loader's hatch just won't cut it through the open hatch so I've found some proper bolt heads that now need sanding to make them flat. Other than that everything is done. I scratched an MP40, which doesn't look wonderful front on, but works well through the loader's hatch. I've also added the linkage for the gunner's remote MG firing mechanism. This is the the bunch of linkages coming from the gunner's foot controls. I'll add the last linkage once the gun is in place. I've also done most of the work in the roof. It all needs wiring in and I still need to do the commander's cupola vision blocks and hatch mechanism plus work out how in the world to make the gun sight bracket reach the roof. It will be the last thing I make before painting and closing down. I also need to make up the head phones and throat mics for the commander and gunner. I will also go back and do the same for the driver and radio operator. And then, once its all done it will be time to paint. After Christmas I should be ready to start work on the exterior. Funny to think that I haven't really even started on the "kit" as such, still playing around with the interior. Under construction as I type is the final details for the roof loader's hatch.

So, photos

A shot of the remote MG firing mech for the gunner

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #265 by Bishop
The roof details including the gun travel lock (partially covering the exhaust fan), the gas mask extension holders (the tubes) and the loader's hatch opener (under construction and the self defense weapon . Still to come is the loader's hatch lock and the other items mentioned. You can also see the three crew lights waiting for wires and the two crew intercom boxes near the commander's cupola.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Bishop.

More
4 years 7 months ago #266 by Bishop
Finally some shots of two exterior add ons. The fan cover is now in place and the armoured cover for the loader's periscope is also in place. There is also a shot of the MP40 and of the roof sitting in place. This will be glued down as it would sit nicely otherwise (as the hull top does), and because you can actually see everything through the three hatches. The detail is well worth it as it will not be lost as in other builds.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 7 months ago #267 by Andrew
Awesome Tony B)

Just spent the last 10 minutes catching up with this one :woohoo:

I noticed on the Trumpeter website tonight that they have announced a Pz.Beob.Wg. IV Ausf J in 1/16 scale. I somehow doubt Trumpeter would go to the extent of moulding a 1/16 StuG cupola just for the Pz IV kit ;)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
4 years 7 months ago #268 by Bishop
They might. There are plenty of aftermarket ones to be gotten in any case. That could be a great build. I'd love to build their JagdTiger when it comes out, but this would be a good build too. More interesting that just the standard IV

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 7 months ago #269 by Andrew
I noticed they have the H, J, Beob.Wg J and now the F2 in 1/16

Can see Brummbar and Wirbelwind/Ostwind versions coming. As well as StuG IV then hopefully the III :woohoo:

The Jagdtiger will be massive. I imagine with a fairly massive pricetag :lol:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
4 years 7 months ago #270 by Tiger
Wowza !!!! looking fab Bishop
Can we expect to see a large kit being bought sometime Andrew :whistle: maybe a conversion to Stug III
I would love to get a large kit but funds are hard for 1/35 let alone 1/16 :(

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary