1:16 Heng Long Tiger I makeover. Conversion to lateTiger I - FINISHED

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
4 years 9 months ago #211 by Bishop
Well, I've been working on this for almost 4 months now and have basically finished the hull. I still have to do a couple of things such as complete the wiring and make the forward stowage "buckets", but these need to be made to fit the floor plates that surround the turret basket, and that means making the turret basket and other components for the turret. So, I shall start work on the turret and finish the hull stuff along side at the appropriate times. Enough of the hull in any case, its time to make the gun!!! I'll post photos later today of the hull as it stands.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
4 years 9 months ago #212 by Tony Lee
My Goodness man this looks to be a new career for you.

Tony lee
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
4 years 9 months ago #213 by Bishop
Hi Tony, good to see you here. So, here are the photos. So I'm off now to start on the gun. The two extra boxes above the engine are the fan gearboxes. As I want to be able to display the engine out of the tank with the BergePanther along-side, I've made the two gearboxes removable. The engine won't come out otherwise. I'll paint all this at my leisure. Oh, the MG is obviously now installed. I need to put rings around the hydraulics pipes on the forward shocks and later add headphones and throat mics to the radio stack, but its basically all in place.... well, sort of.... you know me.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #214 by Bishop
And

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Bishop.

More
4 years 9 months ago #215 by Bishop
And finally

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #216 by Powder
I'm still following your progress Bishop - I just haven't been posting as I'd run out of superlatives - but now I've just realised I was limiting my vocabulary to the English language.

So, that's looking wunderbar. :woohoo:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Powder.

More
4 years 9 months ago #217 by Bishop
Just plugging away at the breach. I should have something to photo tomorrow. I have the shape mostly sorted and can plug it on to the barrel so that's a start. It is the hardest part so it is a good feeling to have it sorted.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 9 months ago #218 by Tiger
Still looking awesome Bishop.
Looks like you should be able to hop in when complete and crank her over. :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #219 by Bishop
So, photos of the breach, the two recoil cylinders and their brackets. As the breach side of the mantlet is solid I've shortened each tube to compensate. I'll have the roof glued in place so this won't matter.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #220 by PJNZ

More
4 years 9 months ago #221 by Bishop
I must get some more photos up. I'm back at work, but this is kicking along and now looks like a gun.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 9 months ago #222 by yak
holy $#%@!! :ohmy: sorry i've been awol for a month or more and haven't been keeping up with this it looks bloody awesome :woohoo:

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

More
4 years 9 months ago #223 by Bishop
So, some photos. The basic layout of the breech is done and the whole thing properly lined up and angled in relation to the Mantlet. I decided to swap out the Verlinden mounting plate for the gun and use the kit one which is correctly hollow. I had to make false extensions to give the recoil cylinders the correct length, but this will make everything look a little closer to the real deal, especially when it comes to the MG mount and the gun sight. The breech block has been completed since these photos. Next up the crew protection shield and the empty shell bin and holding railing. Then the elevation teeth. Then I can start to detail it all. Another three months of work here.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 9 months ago #224 by Bishop
And some beauty shots to show it all fits so far, plus a shot of what's coming up next.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony Lee

More
4 years 9 months ago #225 by Tiger
Still looking sharp there Bishop :woohoo:

More
4 years 8 months ago #226 by Bishop
So, the breech is now finished and I can move onto the gun sight and MG mount. The photos show the set up from different angles. I am again hugely grateful for the 1:35 items I can simply scale up. This time it is DML's breech from their late Tiger I with zimmerit. I still need to wire up various things like the firing button (added in the last shot) siting above the right hand gas cylinder. The main gun tube sitting between the breech and the mantlet came from a Vicks vapour nose tube thingy I found on a walk about a year ago. The nose bit was discarded, but this plastic sleeve survived. It turned out to be perfect for this. The bin was a piece of Duplo and the black section of the breech was the remaining section of a battery pack. I used the other section of it for one of the other breeches, the StuG I think. Snot and string, the whole lot
The first shot shows the detail now added to the late muzzle.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #227 by Bishop
I should add that the breech lever is set to open so that I can have the breech block open. The elevation teeth come from one of our many destroyed printers. Again, the perfect fit.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #228 by Bishop
And finally

Now with firing button in place

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
4 years 8 months ago #229 by Tony Lee
A M A Z I N G

Tony lee

More
4 years 8 months ago #230 by Tiger
Out blimmin standing. :woohoo:

More
4 years 8 months ago #231 by Bishop
Thanks guys I'm having a lot of fun with this. Next up the mysterious MG mount. I've never quite figured out what it properly looks like.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 8 months ago #232 by yak
:woohoo: Amazing work Bishop

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

More
4 years 8 months ago #233 by Maarten

More
4 years 8 months ago #234 by Bishop
Hi Maarten, sadly these are all the mount types I've seen. I have now got one okay shot of the gun mantlet MG mount but as part of a larger breech diagram. "Groan". There are, of course, lots of good shots of the Tiger II mount. It is similar to the first link, but not close enough by the looks. I shall keep looking around. I did get lots of other information for the interior which is great, but not what I need right now.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #235 by Bishop
I have now completed the MG mount and the gun site. The sight still needs it's mounting bracket, but at least the sight is done. The MG mount was adjusted to add the mounting plate (seen in the last shot), the photos show before and after. I will now complete the details around the gun (various things need to be added), and then its time to make the turret basket floor and arms and begin to occupy the space in the turret. Bit scared about this part, but we push on.
Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Bishop.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236 by Bishop
And

And the adjusted mount for the MG

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #237 by Gary
If modelling had apprenticeships, this would be your "Masterpiece", in it's own rights it still is, your ability to create something from anything or even nothing is bewildering.
Bravo old chap, now lets see some paint on it. :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 8 months ago #238 by Bishop
So, the next update in the midst of the crazy business. Firstly, I hardly have time to check things right now, but boy there is some great modeling going on here.

Secondly, we have reached that horror moment in the build when the last three and a half months have either been a waste or have been worth the blood sweat and tears as it were. Thankfully this has been one of those times when with a few tweaks its all come together. The moment every AFV interior builder dreads... when the turret basket has to go in place and also fit with the hull. Interestingly, when the Panthers were being rushed together mating the first hulls with turrets wasn't such a happy occasion as this Tiger build. There turned out to be a lot of cutting and shunting before anything would work.

So, these photos show the various stages of fitting the basket and the related components (floor, arms, seat/ gunner controls boom and the mount for the gun elevation mechanism. It has a name which escapes me. The photos also show the floor panels being fitted and then surfaced and the forward stowage bins, made with the assistance of no less than three glasses of wine. (Sure I can do it, I'll just whip this up now heehee). Some days, in a generally dry world, you just need three glasses. I've also added more detail to the gun, but this is not yet pictured. Once done I'll show some shots. I can now return to the hull and finish everything. I'll then continue with the turret gear. Its been nice to have a break from the hull, but there are too many loose ends which can now be sorted.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #239 by Bishop

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #240 by Bishop
And finally

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary