1:16 Heng Long Tiger I makeover. Conversion to lateTiger I - FINISHED

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
4 years 10 months ago #151 by Glenn
Top job Tony,master class in scratch building :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #152 by Bishop
I've got to take some photos. I'm really sorry not to be updating and posting as much as I want. Thankfully holidays are coming. A number of things have progressed so I'll post some shots on the weekend.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 10 months ago #153 by Xtr3meNZer
I'm sure whatever you have done is going to blow us all away...

More
4 years 10 months ago #154 by Bishop
Thanks. The list of things to photograph include the batteries, the bottom section of the rear firewall, the forward roof brace, the full shell stowage and the rear hull floor wiring. Oh and I'm half way through the front internal shocks. Photos tomorrow.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 10 months ago #155 by Flying_Kiwi
I genuinely have no idea of what i'm looking at, but whatever it is is incredible detail and skill, i applaud you sir!!!! wow just wow!!!!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

More
4 years 10 months ago #156 by Bishop
Finally some photos. I think they are obvious. The batteries have brass handles, the shell cases have writing all over them and are sitting in the hull looking like puzzle pieces (not glued until after painting), the rear firewall thing has the hole in it to let the drive shaft through and various pipes to duck air etc about the place, the turret turning mech sits in the middle awaiting drive shafts etc and so it goes.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #157 by Bishop
And

The beginnings of the shocks

These are the beginnings of the drive shafts. The circles will be split to make U shapes and we'll go from there.

Bits sitting in place

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #158 by Bishop
And finally

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #159 by Powder

Bishop wrote:

Those shell casings must be pretty complicated.
Among the scribbles I see x & y axes, overlayed with a sinusoidal wave form, the RMS line parallel to the x axis... and an arrow to show 'this way up'. :)

Very very impressive Bishop.

More
4 years 10 months ago #160 by Maarten

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #161 by Bishop
Powder said, "Those shell casings must be pretty complicated.
Among the scribbles I see x & y axes, overlayed with a sinusoidal wave form, the RMS line parallel to the x axis... and an arrow to show 'this way up'. :) "

:lol: :lol: :lol: Mate you don't know the half of it. :silly:

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 10 months ago #162 by Bishop
I must post some more photos. The lower fuel tanks are completed and in place as are the forward shocks. The drum brakes are also complete allowing the transmission to attach to the final drive. I will now do the floor plumbing so that I can actually start painting all the constructed items and install them. I have a shelf full of items waiting for painting. Photos hopefully tomorrow night. That would be Thursday.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 10 months ago #163 by Tiger
Wow Bishop, always a surprise when checking out your build.
That internal firewall is just amazing. Detail in this whole build is awesome.
More more :)

More
4 years 10 months ago #164 by Bishop
:( Maybe Monday for photos. :unsure: I'm actually almost ready to start painting parts of the interior as I've finished most things. I still have the crew seats and the wood covered fuel tanks to make then its paint time, but only for the forward floor, transmission and associated items. These all have to go in before the forward bulkhead does. Then it will be on to upper hull details. It is a complicated puzzle to get the transmission in place painted and ready to go. It must go in first :S

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 10 months ago #165 by grunzter
Wow, I have not looked here for a bit, so had some catching up to do...
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: This is looking like the best yet, lots of home made work here.

More
4 years 10 months ago #166 by Bishop
Finally photos. They are of all the bits I described above. The only extra thing completed is the shroud you can see at the rear of the transmission. This has now all been trimmed and filled where necessary and attached. Everything is just sitting there in the pictures. I'll finish the seats, the engine mounts, the upper fuel tanks (behind the cooling fans), the driver's pedals and steering levers and then start painting. I'll paint the lower hull and the transmission. I'll then install this and start building in all the details around it. I'll do this all the way to the rear. I'll then concentrate on the engine bay details. Once all this is done I'll begin detailing the upper hull areas running down the sponsons and along the upper rear fire wall. I'll also plumb in the radios and add headphones etc. I have 3 week's holidays coming up next week so I think I'll get quite a bit of this done. Then I'll keep painting the interior. I have to determine whether this should have the basic hull red interior or a return to the earlier ivory/ green grey. This was ditched for a time to save paint, but was restored after the crews complained that they couldn't see anything in such a dark interior. I just have to get the dates right for the colours I need.
Shocks in and the rods for the steering mechanism.

Lower fuel tanks

Transmission with brakes attached. These move so that I can install the transmission and then position the brakes.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #167 by Bishop
The wheel you can see on the hull floor is a drain plug. A close up of the brake details (not spot on, but you can't see them anyway. The foundation for these are the two large Tamiya paint pot lids I used in the Verlinden Tiger. They are the perfect size and have been dressed up so that they look the part from the right angle. There are more details I need to add to the arms linking the transmission to the brakes, but these will have to wait until installation. Also the shroud under construction. The shroud protects the area if the UV joint on the drive shaft lets go.

Recycled hand brake from the Verlinden Tiger. I will look the part when properly installed.

And the first of the "everything so far just sitting there" shots

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #168 by Bishop

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #169 by Tiger
Running out of compliments Bishop.
Just amazing mate.

More
4 years 10 months ago #170 by Xtr3meNZer

Tiger wrote: Running out of compliments Bishop.
Just amazing mate.

About the same here! This is looking really good, and looking forward to seeing paint go down :)

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 10 months ago #171 by grover
Awesome work Bishop

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
4 years 10 months ago #172 by Maarten

Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #173 by Bishop
Finally some paint, well, just a bit. To allow for the next steps the Transmission has to be put in place. This has meant painting the floor and walls around it. Now that this is done I can finish the crew area, seats, controls and so forth, and the interior of the upper glacis plate in front of the crew. There is some serious scratch work to do with things like the driver's vision block mechanism and the ball MG, which I would happily leave off doing till later, but it all needs to be done before the bulkhead is attached, and this needs to be done before all the central hull details are done. Basically, i shall be moving from front to back painting as I go and then weathering everything once its all done. A simple jigsaw that must be gotten right or there will be big problems in this scale. Loving it actually. This is some of the most satisfying modelling I've done in my life. I love these big scale tanks.
Quick photos
Oh, the interior painting for a mid 44 Tiger I should be hull red floors and lower walls up to the sponsons and then Ivory. Things like the transmission are in ivory and movable things are in black. Engine Nato black and weathered. Later in 44 (September I think), they left everything Hull red, but crews complained so much about the darkness that Ivory was restored at the beginning of 45.
The floor and pedals. The pedals are just there so you see something at the right time. The axles for the sprockets make it impossible to recreate the brackets etc.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #174 by Bishop
And
the wood covered fuel tanks under construction along with the painted transmission (details to come obviously), and in place. Now everything else can be added.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #175 by Bishop
Done a bit of shunting things around and the transmission now sits centre as it should. The driving and brake thingies are now in place too. I'll let it all glue and start working on the items forward of the crew. lots of work to do with it, especially the MG

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 10 months ago #176 by Maarten

Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #177 by mangusta
Wow,thats really cool!

More
4 years 9 months ago #178 by Bishop
I've started to work on the details forward of the driver/ radio operator. This includes the driver's vision block mount and the plug that holds the glacis plate in place before everything is welded together. All that is left to do is the MG :S I've also done the exhaust bracket on the rear engine bay wall. The radio operator's seat is in place, but not glued as I still have details to paint around it, but have to have it sitting there under the back rest that needs to be in place so I can add other details before the bulkhead goes in etc etc. Its a jigsaw puzzle alright. Other things have been painted and various crevices have been painted where the spray will not reach. This is all now waiting for me to buy some more rattle cans. So, photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #179 by Bishop

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #180 by Bishop
And finally

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary