1:16 Heng Long Tiger I makeover. Conversion to lateTiger I - FINISHED

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
4 years 10 months ago #121 by Bishop
Next update. This series of shots shows how I build up different shapes to create a part. This is the casing that surrounds the gears within the gear box sitting between the front steering section and the main part of the gear box under the rectangular cover. I look for shapes within the main shape, such as the main cylinder running through the area and then build the other shapes, bumps and recesses around it.

As you can see I don't trim things until the final shape is close to formed. This helps hold things together, and in the case of the long square "tubing" supports the structure while other things are added. Once everything is where it needs to be it all drys and then I start trimming. I can then add and subtract sections to begin to fill in the missing details.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #122 by Bishop
When the section is complete it can be added to existing sections so that the whole can be blended together with more adding and subtracting of parts. These photos take us up to the completed basic shape. I can now work from front to back with all the details as I did on the engine. I like to work methodically along the structure so that I don't miss things. Some things need to be added after everything else, but following the orderly process means that I know I have to go back and fit them. Nothing worse than breaking things apart to add something forgotten. Once all the details are complete (and there are mountains of them), I'll then make the items that sit on top of the transmission. These, mentioned in a previous post, are the radios and dash.
Believe it or not the transmission is only a millimeter short. That will do me.

The two sections you can see on the rear of the transmission will connect the transmission to the drive train, the larger box thingy on the left, and the hydraulic pump for the turret traverse motor on the right.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #123 by Bishop
It has to be said that this is all still very very rough with lots of trimming and filling to do, but it is now at least starting to look like the 1:35 item

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 10 months ago #124 by Tiger
You are a very cleaver man Bishop, new name I think for you Yoda of Scratchbuilders :whistle: :silly:
Looking great mate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
4 years 9 months ago #125 by Bishop
Literally doing nuts and bolts with this slowly covering the front end with details when I get spare moments away from work. I'll take some progress shots tomorrow.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 9 months ago #126 by Viperbuilder
Masterful work there Tony and great to watch.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #127 by Von Drinkoften
I continually get blown away by your attention to detail mate. B)

More
4 years 9 months ago #128 by Bishop
Photos as promised. They show the progression of the detailing, including some adjustments I've had to make. Still lots to do, such as adding a million bolt heads to various things and some trimming and filling of other things, but I'm almost ready to start building the dash and the radios. I think I mentioned before that the radio stack is actually meant to hang from the roof, but it is usually attached to the top of the transmission for ease of installation. I think it is attached in both places on the actual tank.
So, they are starting to look like each other

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #129 by Bishop
More bolts added waiting for bolt heads, and the gear shift lever under construction. The teeth need trimming and so forth so everything is just sitting there for now.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #130 by Bishop
Very glad to be working on all this. Work is so busy I hardly even have time to look at the forums let alone post, but plugging away at the builds is keeping me sane. The work all you guys are doing is also keeping me inspired so thank you.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 9 months ago #131 by Wally
Keeps you sane Bishop .... drives most of us INSANE ... with awe, admiration and/or jealousy ... ???
To me your model making and scratch-building are from a parallel universe ...
A joy to behold ...

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
4 years 9 months ago #132 by Xtr3meNZer
I swear it's going to start itself once you're done!

More
4 years 9 months ago #133 by Maarten

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #134 by Tiger
Hi Bishop
Echo the last 2 comments :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #135 by Bishop
Plugging away at it the transmission is basically done. It needs lots of wiring behind the dash and the radios will also need to be plumbed in, but it can all now go on the shelf with the growing interior and wait for painting and installation. The radio sets still need the batteries added so I'll do that and then move onto the suspension. The time has come to make pretend torsion bars. The layout of the wheels doesn't match the Tiger at all so this will be smoke and mirrors. I need to add this all now so that I can start to work on the forward components (seats, break drums, etc).
So, photos
The original part

The new part

Behind the dash so far

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #136 by Bishop

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #137 by Bishop
And finally

The growing collection of innards waiting on the shelf

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #138 by Xtr3meNZer
Truly amazing - I can't wait to see it painted and detailed :)

More
4 years 9 months ago #139 by Maarten

Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #140 by Bishop
Struggling to find any time to post, but I've plugged away at this. The torsion bars have been laid in the floor of the hull so that I can start building details in. The hydraulic pump for the turret motor is also under construction. Photos asap

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 9 months ago #141 by Bishop
So, the floor is done and the turret drive motor is now in the middle of being detailed. The floor is nowhere near exact as we are working around a completely fantasical suspension system that sticks into the hull sides completely unlike it does on the real thing. However, most of the offending extras will be covered (as will much of the interior you can now see :( ), so that's okay. The torsion bars and frames are as you would expect to see them if you looked inside a Tiger. What is rather nice is that with the hull roof on the turret motor sits just where it should. Next up all the wiring.
Photos
The turret motor that is driven by the drive shaft from the engine which turns into two drive shafts running to the transmission. This part of the turret motor sits below the top section seen on the floor of the turret basket and is connected to it by a small drive shaft running up from the hull unit. The top section is the "motor" and this lower section provides the power off the main drive train

Sitting in between the other main components.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #142 by Bishop
The torsion bars and welded floor framework. This provides mounting points and some protection for the suspension.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #143 by Bishop
And finally just for fun, various bits sitting in position. Quite a lot has been made, but it is very early days yet.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #144 by Bishop
Apart from the wiring I now need to construct the final drive linkages with brakes, the lower fuel tanks, the details in the engine bay, the batteries, the forward bulkhead and the lower shell stowage bins. I can then paint the floor area and begin installing things. Plenty of fun ahead.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Bishop.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #145 by Maarten

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Maarten.

More
4 years 9 months ago #146 by Tiger
Stunning work Bishop.
Yes more fun stuff to come, can't wait to see more

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #147 by grover
File Attachment:

You are a legend Bish. Thats awesome work and I do appreciate the time you take to post and share

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by grover.

More
4 years 9 months ago #148 by Bishop
I have some wiring in place just so I can say its there. I've never bothered with models in the way before, but I'm doing so with this. The turret motor hull component is finished and the four wall ammo bins are under construction. These run along the walls of the lower section of the hull. The shapes are done and will hide a lot of the "toy" parts of the lower hull. Once in place I can do the batteries and the forward cross beam. I can soon start painting and installing. I'll work front to back I think. Photos hopefully today. My first day off in 6 weeks.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 9 months ago #149 by Bishop
Photos
The bins and turret unit just sitting there and with the cover in place to give the idea of how things will look. You can see some of the fantasy wiring as well. This is done so that the wiring towers have something hanging off them. These you will see if the floor pieces are removed when the turret is off. These pieces surround the turret basket floor when it is in place.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 9 months ago #150 by Terry
Lovely scratch work Bishop. I love this sort of stuff, particularly when paint gets applied and the parts spring into life as it were. Watching with interest.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary