Not entirely convinced with the olive drab I painted the cushioning with, I mixed up some Vallejo olive drab (80%) and khaki (20%) and repainted the middle and bottom sections. I then added a small amount of buff and touched in a few highlights. Also painted the black stripes on the yellow release handle and finished the session by painting the buckles with Mr Color stainless steel lacquer. Much happier with the look of the seat now. Still more detail painting to come.
Detail painting finished. Might be hard to see in phone photos, but I went to town on the finer details such as the braided hose you can see running up right hand side of seat by painting the sections of yellow tubing, black and yellow stripes on the red mechanism that is between the pilot's legs at front of seat etc. i've given it a light drybrushing with AK Interactive's dark grey oil paint. Tomorrow night I will apply Future and then apply the washes. After this stage and a flat coat I will burnish some areas that show wear by applying some graphite and will go over the buckles with another coat of the Mr Metal Color stainless.
It's funny how it took me most of the week to paint the first seat and then I smash the 2nd one out in just a couple of hours. 2nd seat just needs dry brush and coat of Future and I can then give both a wash with oils.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Thanks guys. I mixed up my own batch of insignia white with Tamiya acrylics (75% flat white, 25% deck tan) and airbrushed the drop tanks. It's amazing how much better the coverage is compared to straight flat white.
This arvo I glued some plastic strip to the top of the wingfold to fix the excessive dihedral the Tamiya designers cocked up when they created this kit. Will fit the wing tips and then trim down the excess plastic strip. I shoild have done this earlier, but it's no biggy.
After a week of copious OT at work and then being crook yesterday and half of today, I managed to fill and rescribe the gaps at the wingfolds and re-prime; sand, polish and re-Future the canopies where the sprue gates attached, airbrush the black inside the canopy frames, handpaint the inside of the centre section and paint the insignia white on the gear doors, underside of the tail section etc. Might paint the red on the doors later tonight.
Just sprayed the undersides with custom mix of insignia white. Took a while with the 0.3mm airbrush. Didn't need perfect coverage on this first coat because I'm going to add some weathering, maybe even a panel line wash before hitting it with another coat of white to tone it all down.