• Handbag87
  • Handbag87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #1 by Handbag87
Airfix 1/76 Kiwi Sherman was created by Handbag87
Hi all,
My second (and second-to-last, probably) 1/76 armour build is finished! I bought the Airfix 1/76 M4A2 Sherman with the intention of cross-kitting it with the Italeri 1/72 one with an engine, but got impatient and decided to do it OOB.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I made some minor additions: a white metal MG for the commander's hatch, boxes for stowage on the front and on the turret bustle, a rolled up bit of whatever, some bits on the back and a stretched sprue whip antenna. Done with kit decals as a representative Kiwi Sherman from the Italian campaign.

My final planned 1/76 build is Airfix's Bren Gun Carrier done as a "what if" - my 6pdr-equipped one from the game World of Tanks. No idea when that will be as I haven't heard back from the shop as to when it's actually coming.

Cheers, Zac in Whanganui

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #2 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Airfix 1/76 Kiwi Sherman
Great job on a 55 year old kit.
I've had a couple of goes at the Matchbox/Revell 1/76 Sherman over the years but I've yet to do the Airfix kit. I should pick one up and give it a crack.
Did the decals behave with this kit? - You mentioned you had trouble with the decals in the Airfix M113 FSV kit.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Powder.

• Handbag87
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #3 by Handbag87
Replied by Handbag87 on topic Airfix 1/76 Kiwi Sherman
This had classic blue-paper decals which went on like a dream! The M113 ones were on a brown-tinted paper. Very odd.

Thanks for your kind words! It was a lovely little build, but the tracks were hell to try and fix together. I ended up using a heated scalpel as my smallest screwdriver was too big. The tracks also needed a lot of touching-up as the paint flaked off like crazy when I was trying to put them in place.

I have my eye on a Matchbox/Revell Firefly with Aussie troops on TradeMe, probably a cheaper and easier prospect than a 1/35 one.

Cheers, Zac in Whanganui
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Handbag87.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #4 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Airfix 1/76 Kiwi Sherman

Handbag87 wrote:
I have my eye on a Matchbox/Revell Firefly with Aussie troops on TradeMe, probably a cheaper and easier prospect than a 1/35 one.

If you don't want the troops there's a cheaper one here:
www.acornmodels.co.nz/products/kitsets/r...,72-vehicles-/50198/

I think it's still regarded as the most accurate Firefly in Braile Scale - possibly it's the only kit :) - but I think it's still pretty good.

I really like the Firefly story - how the US sent over the Shermans and the English said sorry this isn't going to cut it with the big boys we're dealing with - so they fitted their own 17pdr guns and created the only British tank capable of tackling Tigers & Panthers. The disruptive camo patterns on the long barrels is because the Germans always targeted Firefly's first so they tried to make them look a little more like a regular Sherman.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Powder.

More
5 years 2 months ago #5 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Airfix 1/76 Kiwi Sherman
Very cool little build mate :)

• Handbag87
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #6 by Handbag87
Replied by Handbag87 on topic Airfix 1/76 Kiwi Sherman
Thanks! You're very kind.

Powder - lovely, thanks for that. I don't think I'd do anything with the figures as I've got no room for dios.

Cheers, Zac in Whanganui

More
5 years 2 months ago #7 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Airfix 1/76 Kiwi Sherman
That's a very nice build indeed.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary