• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #1 by Gary
October Update was created by Gary
Hey Folks
I think the site is probably big enough to warrant some kind of semi-regular updates topic(s). I'll use this space to inform you all of the changes and ideas. I know it sometimes looks like there's nothing going on I can assure you I make adjustments almost daily. While I don't need to document all of these I thought I should share some of the things being done and the changes etc.

Forums
I don't know about you lot but don't you hate it when you spend ages creating a post only to see it slip off to page 2 and obscurity inside a day? Having said that, this is actually a really good thing because it means we're busy which is fantastic. To hopefully massage some feelings I've decided to double the number of active topics displayed in the Category list.
Yes this means you'll have to scroll further down but it does mean you won't have to change pages and resend the data etc. I might help with mobile data for those using the site on mobile devices. It may take a bit longer to initially load the forums so if you have issues just post them hear.

Group Builds
As you should be able to see we now have a nice scrolling banner advertising the Group Builds. I'm trying to make the Group Builds a bigger part of the site than it currently is. I think we get a lot of interest in this and what we are building which in turn generates more foot traffic. I think that having lots of different subjects/builds to choose from will involve more people overall.
I think a good way forward on deciding topics and such would be to use steps like this.
Someone suggests a subject/theme
We create a poll for people to vote on whether they would get involved in this. Only vote Yes if you are actually considering entering, Vote No if you are not interested etc
If the Poll reaches say 6 (or maybe 10) positives it gets the Green Light
A new forum is created for the Group Build
Each Group build requires, 2 Admins/Champions, who will go forth and promote the GB and administer it through to it's final stages. A set of rules, these could be copied from another GB and modified accordingly. Some dates, (start/end)

Recent Site Outages
Due to recent site issues the hosting company has decided to move us to a new server in the Datacentre, this is in part due to the increase in traffic and the load it puts on the server. They've not said anything about extra funding so hopefully it's a free upgrade. :D

New things to do around here
Real Estate is at a premium here so to be able to add the new features etc I'll be expanding the menu system, so please use the menu to see what's new. Don't forget there is much more to see and do around here than just the forums ;)

Photo Galleries
Some of you may be aware that we have a growing collection of images in the various Reference Photo Galleries. I'm trying to build the photo galleries in to a one stop shop for model building. Eventually it will include subjects from all the differing topics that we build, topics and pictures from Ancient Rome to Galaxies far far away.
Declan aka Gibbs has kindly agreed to oversee the uploading of images but he also has a busy life to work around lol. So if anyone else wants to help out with this just give me a shout.

Other Stuff
I'm currently working on a "Kit Collector" component for the site, why bother some of you may ask, well I want this site to become the one stop shop for modelling plus I like everything in one place so that you don't have to go trolling the net ;)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, Grant, RED, Fritz, Kiwimav, Woadism, Von Drinkoften, Xtr3meNZer, rastanz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
6 years 3 months ago #2 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic October Update
Thanks for the updates and work in the background G1!!

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
6 years 3 months ago #3 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic October Update
Yea thanks heaps Gary, doing a great job.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
6 years 3 months ago #4 by grover
Replied by grover on topic October Update
Yup, thanks G1. Will look forward to a Kit Collector system.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
6 years 3 months ago #5 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic October Update
Awesome work G1!! We all love this place and we certainly appreciate the behind the scenes work that all the admins do! :cheer:

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 3 months ago #6 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic October Update
Thanks G1. I know most of what you do goes unseen in the background but it all contributes to make the site a better place for all. I would love having a "Kit Collector" section of the site, as you say it saves us using 2 or 3 different sites for various things.
Plus it means we can all see what everyone else has in their stashes! :evil:

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 3 months ago #7 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic October Update
Yes, thank you G1 for doin everything that you do for all of us, we all appreciate it!

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 3 months ago #8 by jimmy07
Replied by jimmy07 on topic October Update
Thanks very much!... What's a kit collector???

More
6 years 3 months ago #9 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic October Update

jimmy07 wrote: Thanks very much!... What's a kit collector???

Likewise, what's a kit collector? Please let it not be a 12 step programme :lol:

More
6 years 3 months ago #10 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic October Update
Some good positive stuff there Gary. Thanks for your work behind the scenes to make it all happen.

I was thinking with the Group Builds that given the number of suggestions being posted in recent times it is obvious that they won't all fly at once. Therefore, it would be a good idea if we could have a permanent suggestion board for the Group Builds that we could pin and add to and choose from in the future.

I wasn't all that keen on building for another Group Build after the BoB G/B finishes but seeing all those F-14 images has rekindled my interest in the type and pointed to what I will end up building next year. Participating in this type of event feels quite infectious at times. :blink:

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #11 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic October Update
Migration to the new servers was completed over night and you shouldn't notice any difference. I had to change the DNS Name-servers so you might get pointed to the old site randomly over the next 5 days until the removal of the old entries is complete.
Other than that it should be as the captain of the Titanic said, "Full steam ahead and $%#k the icebergs" :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #12 by grover
Might explain a few missing posts this morning :blink:

Kane

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #13 by Gary
Not sure how, it didn't start until 01:00 GMT+12 which posts are you referring to mate?

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #14 by grover

Gary wrote: Not sure how, it didn't start until 01:00 GMT+12 which posts are you referring to mate?

I saw some posts this morning from K2 and added a couple myself, but when I got to work, they were gone. Unless I dreamed them...... :huh:

Kane

More
6 years 3 months ago #15 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic October Update
Yeah I noticed the same thing K1. Was wondering why all of a sudden it was showing a whole lot of "new" comments, though I had read them, and my replies are gone.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #16 by Gary
Ah yeah maybe lost a couple during the night, sorry about that.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #17 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic October Update
Hey Thanks for the updates G1 :woohoo: , I'm sure we ALL appreciate the wonderful site and the community we have here, which would not be here but for your efforts.
As 'Kojak' used to say: "Who Loves yah baby?" I'd say we all do mate, damn fine effort. :cheer: ;)

D1

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #18 by Gary

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary