WWI Group Build

It has been 100 years since the world was plunged into its first global conflict spanning 1914 to 1918.

To mark this, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning 11th November 2015, and finishing on the 12th of October 2016.

The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in World War I.

The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread. By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread.

There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome

The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 12th of October, ending Midday the 19th of October. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

Moderators for this GB will Andrew and D1 (David)

WW1 GB - Takom Whippet

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Moeggo
  • Moeggo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 1 month ago #1 by Moeggo
WW1 GB - Takom Whippet was created by Moeggo
Yes... Yes.. I finally pulled my finger out of my ass and made some good progress on a project!

Takoms Whippet which I picked up at Telford for 30 pounds, which I thought was a pretty good deal! I am building it from the box, so it should be straight forward build....

I have started off by gluing and sanding one side of the wheels and then realized that its going to be all hidden. So I stopped the hard task of sanding each wheel and quickly cleaned them with sprue cutters. I find the wheels are pain in the ass to do, so I skipped one side for the moment and came back to it later on...

One small little mod I made, was with the tension bolts for the rear main wheels. I removed a section of the bolt between the hull and middle nut, and re-glued it into place.

Side hulls are attached to the floor section. Nice fit no issues what so ever!

I did have a small fit issue with the roof... I couldn't get the small gap to close, but I have seen a couple of other builds with the same issue... So maybe its a Kit issue and not me!

I left the door ajar a tad to give it a bit of character, as I planning to display it on a base looking abandoned...

And with a little bit of Child labour, my oldest son gave me a hand clicking all the tracks together. Took us about 5 minutes to do both sides...

So this is were I am currently... Pretty quick build, maybe 4-5 hours spent this afternoon. A couple of small things to tidy up.. But I should be getting some primer and paint onto pretty soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #2 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
Nice and quick :) Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing the paint

More
5 years 1 month ago #3 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
Looking very nice David. Looks to be a good kit to build. Much to clean up?

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 1 month ago #4 by Moeggo
Replied by Moeggo on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
Not really Bish... juSt your normal sprue attachments.. and the couple small gaps in the roof.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #5 by Moeggo
The last couple of nights I have been spraying the Whippet... I started first by paint it with AK interactive Khaki Base from the Brit WW1 tank set... Took me age to get the paint to spray nicely... I don't know why I try to use the AK paint, as I always have to clean out my Airbrush 2-3 times, and its a real ass to get it to spray correctly.. But it did look nice and smooth once it was dry...

Till I realized that I painted it the wrong colour!!!!!!!! :angry:

So after checking the paint call outs (which I should of done in the first place!) I had to figure out what Ammo paints convert too... I couldn't find any charts from Ammo to anything else, so I jumped onto 1990.co.jp website and had a quick look what Meng had listed for their Whippet... Luckily it was Vallejo 71.015 Olive Grey which worked out to RLM 71, which I have plenty of! So back to spray booth and this is where I am at the moment....

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Moeggo.

More
5 years 1 month ago #6 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
Looks good.

Agree on the AK paints. They are quite hit and miss.

More
5 years 1 month ago #7 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
Well, least you got the right colour in the end! lol.

Looking good man, nice pictures also

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 1 month ago #8 by Moeggo
A little bit more work last night... Tracks were primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 Black and then given a mist and a random spray in areas with Hull Red to start giving it a rusty look. I will hit them with some pigments soon..

The ID Stripes or whatever they are called are masked off with some Tamiya Tape and then the areas are first sprayed with AK Worn Effect Chipping fluid, and then painted with Tamiya Flat White and Red.

So now its the fun part making it dirty! I will mostly likely hit this part in the weekend...

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 1 month ago #9 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
Looking good! Looks like we'll have our first finisher before Christmas!! :woohoo:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
5 years 1 month ago #10 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
Coming together nicely indeed.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
5 years 1 month ago #11 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
LIKE !!!

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 1 month ago #12 by grover
Replied by grover on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
That's come together really nicely Moeggo. It's going to look awesome all muddied up.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
5 years 1 month ago #13 by Beavis
Replied by Beavis on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
This looks great. I made the same mistake regarding picking up the wrong paint and spraying it on my zero, goodbye preshading. I've only ever attempted aircraft, but some of these armour builds for the WW1 group build are starting to lure me to the dark side (i.e. amour) at least for this group build.

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #14 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
That looks awesome!

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #15 by Michaels Models
Replied by Michaels Models on topic WW1 GB - Takom Whippet
Really awesome results.

Love the whippet.

Michael

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

Moderators: Andrew