Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Flying_Kiwi
  • Flying_Kiwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #1 by Flying_Kiwi
Not really a Group build but coincidence was created by Flying_Kiwi
I have had a go at creating my first diorama its supposed to be some routine maintenance going on in some un-named pacific island.

What is slightly special about this is its a present for my dad on his 65th birthday and the model is a 1:32 airfix P-40 we both built way back in 1983 it was all smashed up in a box unloved and i have put it back together, stripped the paint off and re done it, its not the best build but i think he'll like it.

anyway sorry to muscle in, but quite happy how this went,.. oh yeah and i built the palm tree out of toilet paper wire and ordinary printer paper

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Flying_Kiwi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #2 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic Not really a Group build but coincidence
NIce Work man! I'm sure he will love it! :cheer:

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
6 years 1 month ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Not really a Group build but coincidence
Fantastic and a nice story to go with it, the pilot might get a bit hot sat in there though (sorry don't you hate a smart ass.....)
What's the Hurri in the background, is it the 1/32 Revell kit?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #4 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Not really a Group build but coincidence
Hah! Gary i was thinking the same thing,...because this is an old kit and its literally been rebuilt (after Mr Muscle not only dissolved the paint but the glue) the cockpit is in a word sparse... it was going to be pretty difficult to rebuild in a closed fuse so i whacked the p[ilot in to cover up the lack of cockpit. the build quality is a bit lacking.. i was ten and the old man wasn't a regular modeler!

The Hurricane in the back ground is in fact the slightly terrible 1:24 Airfix version, not the best of fits but i have got some added extras and cut the flaps off to have them drooping down etc

here's a pic of the flaps being cut and the cockpit, sans pilot and webbing etc..

i built this kit a few years ago when i was living in the UK and even using brushes i was quite pleased with the finish, this time i have the full trumpeter PE kit and i'm going to town.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Flying_Kiwi.

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
6 years 1 month ago #5 by RossMack
Replied by RossMack on topic Not really a Group build but coincidence
Nice rescue and a lovely gift idea.
S/thing handmade shows effort and has a personal input. Have you thought of an umbrella over the cockpit?

I like the palm tree. For the abundance of A/M scenery out there it's surprising how simple it is to scratch s/thing together cheap.

yours in Christ

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
r-mcarthur.wix.com/717squadron# !
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Testors 1/72 Harrier, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago #6 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Not really a Group build but coincidence
An umbrella! what a great idea! hah.....nice one rossmack ! could paint a cocktail umbrella black

I was telling Azza this morning to buy a palm tree in the correct scale i was looking at 80-100 NZD when the shipping is thrown in. that tree took me a bout an hour all up.

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee