Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #1 by Gary
Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48 was created by Gary
After the untimely death of my Dauntless I've had to pull something new out of the stash and start it. I pulled this one out on Saturday, sorry about some of the images, I'm just using my cheap point and click at the bench.
This is a Hasegawa P-51 Mustang straight out of the box no additions except maybe the decals which I seem to have a custom set of.

The Box and stuff

Work starts on the office

Some poor shots of the office

Sealed up, ground down and ready to go

Alclad gloss black laid down, I think I've got the hand of this after a couple of bad experiences with it early on (a couple of years back).

A quick lick of Alclad Aluminium

Masked up for some panel variation

Looking good with different tones laid down.

Black stripes airbrushed on, getting them straight and even was a pain in the arse but I think they look ok at 12m each

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Gary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago #2 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
Nice, now don't screw this up :whistle: :pinch:

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A JAWS conversion

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
Well I got the colours right this time but I'm not sure what to do about the weathering on the aluminium, it's something I'm trying to get right for when I come to do the big B-17. I like the stained look of the Dauntless and had it not been for the wings being the wrong colour I probably would of left it like that. I'm not in to washes on NMF, I'll chip up the stripes when I've decalled it and look at maybe using some white here and there to simulate salt stains on here and there. I need to read up on weathering NM finishes.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 1 month ago #4 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
Have a look at the article I sent from TMM same finish as this one.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #5 by Gary
I didn't think it included weathering I guess I should read it again

More
6 years 1 month ago #6 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
Think it talks about the prop and the engine cowling for a start but what is weathering? Some have made it into an art form but how realistic is that?

More
6 years 1 month ago #7 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
My goodness you build stuff quickly! I'd love to see focused shots of the cockpit but I guess it's too late huh? I can sorta tell it's good.
The whole thing looks excellent to me so far.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 1 month ago #8 by Dads Army
Replied by Dads Army on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
Nice work skipper!!

"Rough as Guts Production's"

More
6 years 1 month ago #9 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48

Wally wrote: My goodness you build stuff quickly! I'd love to see focused shots of the cockpit but I guess it's too late huh? I can sorta tell it's good.
The whole thing looks excellent to me so far.

I agree with Wally, you do build things fast!! Looks really nice Gary. That cockpits looks really nice. Would love to see some more pics of that.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
6 years 1 month ago #10 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
Nice work - and real quick. I'm looking forward to seeing it all finished on Saturday !!

Ian

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #11 by Gary
I've given up on it, I didn't realise I'd put the stars on upside down, someone at the local club took great delight at pointing this out to me (repeatedly), there's no way I can change it as I've already sealed them and the white shows through the replacement ones too much.
So I've lost interest in it, it got to one point where I nearly smashed it up in front of him to shut him up I was that annoyed.
I've calmed down now, I get short tempered at the moment because I'm in constant pain and I'd messed up my medication that day.
I'm now using it as a test bed for when I get round to my 1/32 version.

More
6 years 1 month ago #12 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
Fair enough, mate.

Isn't it infuriating when you do something like that and other folks just leap all over it. Really difficult to do the whole 'count-to-ten' thing when some MoFo is winding-you-up like that !!

Ian

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #13 by Gary
I think you summed it up nicely there mate :)

More
6 years 1 month ago #14 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Hasegawa Pacific Mustang in 1/48
Gary, there are always assholes....some people just can't see the beauty of the whole and can only nit pick. i don't even try to build hyper accurate models i juts build to a standard i find pleasing....and i'm a pretty harsh critic of my own work.

I have to say the P-51 is an aircraft i hold dear and you were doing an awesome job, can i ask the shot of the gloss black looked like you picked out the panel lines? how? or is that a trick of the light.

Such a pity it didn't work out, i have a few still in boxes half done,... i cant even open and look at the [email protected] uos! i cant bare to put them in a bin bag either..

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #15 by Gary
Ah nah he's not one of those, he's a mate. I was in pain with my neck and I don't think realised how mad I was getting until I started turning green, I was just about to say "Me SMASH!!" then I got a handle on myself and put the inner me away.
It's not a trick of the light it's the white primer showing through, I use thin mists of black which don't settle in the lines very well so I seem to always get the white lines (insert 80's drug joke).

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee