SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #1 by Gary
I started a 1/32 P-47 but I didn't like the engine so it's on the back shelf for now. I dug this one out a couple of weeks ago and started throwing it together at our local club night. It's gone together really quickly hence the lack of photos. It's painted and I've just started the weathering, more photos to come (and better quality as these were just with the little point and shoot).
It's the first time I've used Alclad and actually got the base coat right, quite please with the metal effects, just hope I don't stuff it up with the weathering........

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 2 months ago #2 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
Jeez Gary, that metal finish looks great. The detail pops well, nice looking SBD you got there. Would like to see the weathering etc a little clearer tho. Like it.

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
Top result on the Metal finish

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

More
6 years 2 months ago #4 by Taylor
Replied by Taylor on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
Nicely done there Gaz. Beautiful work from you as usual. A very nice rendition of a subject from a bigone age in aviation. Good work buddy.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #5 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
Thanks for the kind words. Not only am I playing with the metal paint on this build but also the weathering method. I read an article a while ago and I could only remember that the guy used pastels for weathering so I decided to have a play myself with some black pigment powder.
I've not done any more since the last photos, I've just taken some better photos, only one wing and half of one side of the fuselage is weathered so far.

Only the left wing has been done.

Close up

Comments and advice welcome.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Gary.

More
6 years 2 months ago #6 by Taylor
That panel line weathring using the pastels appears more authentic that a line wash. I would imagine that it is easir to control as you can build the effect slowly as apposed to a wash. What type of brush did you use for this method?

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #7 by Gary
It's way harder than using a wash, panel line. I used a big wide brush and dabbed it in then moved it around a bit (sounds kinky I know).

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 2 months ago #8 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
Looks great Gary. Awesome job. This would happen to be one of the nicest looking SBD's I have seen in a while. Really like that metal finish now that it's getting tarnished/weathered.

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
6 years 2 months ago #9 by Tony Lee
Replied by Tony Lee on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
Knock out tin work Gary B)

Tony lee

More
6 years 2 months ago #10 by eyepaule
Replied by eyepaule on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
Really nice work! What Alclad colours did you use?

Paul

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #11 by Gary
Thanks Paul
White Aluminium, Burnt Ali, Airframe Ali, and plain Aluminium, also mixed them, the engine cowl is model master buffing Stainless.

More
6 years 1 month ago #12 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
How realistic is that tarnishing along the edge of panels?
Not that I'm especially worried about 'realism' because the effect looks bloody fantastic. It has an authentic 'metal wear' feel to it.
A very good "throw together" job Gary.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #13 by Gary
Thanks Wally, praise indeed, much appreciated.
I did actually do the other wing but stuffed it up, I was fortunate enough to work out that simply wiping the wing with White Spirit removed the pigments without damaging the paintwork (I did coat it in Alclad Clear after painting it, just to seal it in) so I was pretty lucky there.
Considering you're a bit of a stickler for detail I'm glad that you like the effect, I'm still working on the method so maybe the other side will be better (I'll settle for the same lol )

More
6 years 1 month ago #14 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
Wow looks good.
This brings back some old memories...
The first ever 1/48 scale plane I made was a Monogram Devastator with a similar scheme, now it is long gone with maybe the figures and torpedo still floating around the spares box...
Grant

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago #15 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but the panel lines need to be dialed waaaayyyy back on this. You did a superb job on the NMF, best I've seen in a while, but the black pastel kills it. You going all Spanish on us, senor?

The SBD-1 was the pride of the Navy and USMC when first built. If you look at period pics, these things were maintained in a pristine condition.

You had it right here

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A JAWS conversion

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago #16 by Craig Sargent
Also, I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the Dauntless should have yellow upper wing surfaces - that was a huge visual feature of the period and the era of the famous US Navy/MC yellow wings...

On The Bench

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17 by Gary
Thanks for the honesty, bit late now, I might be able to clean up but not as clean as it was. Spanish?
Yeah I read the instructions wrong, but I prefered the metal wings so meh :P
Besides I wasn't going for the prewar look, I liked the NMF ones, I've seen some photos of them looking pretty dirty just after Pearl, that was my inspiration.

Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Gary.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #18 by Craig Sargent
Google "spanish school of modelling"...

Irrelevant section removed - ;)

On The Bench
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Craig Sargent.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #19 by Gary
Nope I don't follow any school of modelling, the only club I subscribe to is the 6 foot club.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #20 by Gary
I wiped all the pastel off and wish I hadn't now as it's rubbed some of the alcad off in places and the black is showing through. I can't respray the wings as I don't have replacement markings, it's pretty fcuked up, to be honest I nearly put a hammer through it last night.
From what I've seen including that one that was posted up they didn't all have yellow wings anyway, and some of them were quite grungy, wish I'd just left it now :(

More
6 years 1 month ago #21 by Taylor
Aw Gary!!! What did you go and do that for? Just because someone says that stuff is too weathered or whatever doesn't mean you have to go and stuff it up!! I agree you should have left it as it was because it was a beautiful model as it was.

More
6 years 1 month ago #22 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic SBD-1 Dauntless by Accurate Miniatures
I can remember a film shot in the late 1930's pre war that had US dive bombers from the 1930s in it and thy were all pritsine condition from what could be seen in the film.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 month ago #23 by Craig Sargent
I apologise Gary. You asked for comments and I was trying to be helpful. Didn't realise you were so far through when I posted - figured that being pastels they'd just wipe off easily, without the need for thinners or spirits.

As for the yellow wings,thought you could simply mask a strip and a circle and paint the yellow, if you chose to - figured you would chose not too if you didn't want to. Hope it's recoverable. I'd offer my help, but probably not wanted now.

On The Bench

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #24 by olive drab
The movie was Divebomber shot in 1941 great scenes of all the US early war aircraft what was interesting as the year developed the aircraft used went from the chrome/yellow finish to wartime grey perhaps the US military knew the war was coming?
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by olive drab.

More
6 years 1 month ago #25 by Wally
I had a suspicion the 'tarnished look' panel lines weren't realistic but I don't consider Craig's comments and photos to be sufficient evidence for no panel line colour at all. Probably best just left as it was (or maybe written off) as a test case but I personally think it would have been perfectly good with 'usual' style washed panel lines , which, after all, is as much about enhancement (or beautification?) as it is about gap shadow or weathering. For me personally, most NMF aircraft without washed panel lines look somehow unfinished.
It's personal preference of course but I wish you'd left it as it was too Gary. You gotta work out who you're trying to please mate ...?

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 1 month ago #26 by Taylor
It shouldn't be about who Gary is trying to please Wally. As you've said, it's personal preference and he liked everything the way it was so it's a bit contradictory to then say "You gotta work out who you're trying to please mate ...?".

Everything should have been left as it is because Gary did a great job on it. Well Done Gary.

More
6 years 1 month ago #27 by Wally
True, and my apologies for any offense. I originally posted the question "was it realistic?" and also that I really liked it regardless.

I enjoy doing research

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #28 by Gary
No offence taken from anyone, and I only did what I wanted to do, anyone who knows me should know I can't be "made" to do anything I don't want to do. No I made the choice on my own cognizance and I'm happy with the choice, just not the outcome. I'll touch it up here and there and she'll be OK (sorry Wally I'm still in the running against you :P )
I realised that I'd made a gaff with the yellow on the wings and hoped that no one would highlight it as I'd gone past the point of no return, but hey I got caught :D
I tried to mask some other areas with the decals but they pulled off, hence having no spares to redo what's been done
I'll put it down to the experience and move on. At least now I know how to do NMF to a fairly good standard and if it needs weathering how to do it :)

More
6 years 1 month ago #29 by olive drab
How about an email to Accurate Miniatures asking for a new set of decals?
Show them the finish you achieved and the problem you had and the web address here that promotes their products Im sure they would soon ship a set for it for a small postage cost?

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago #30 by Gary
Not enough time mate, need it for beginning of November, got to have something to put up against Wally's 97 builds :D
Not a problem got a few more models in the stash to build..........

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee