Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 5 days ago #2

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
Nice...just about bought me one or two of these in 1/48 off of ebay for $6...similar reason, RNZAF checkers scheme tho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 5 days ago #3

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
This Hobbycraft (Occidental & Italeri) kitset with fine recessed panel lines and rivet detail is generally considered superior to the raised panel line Revell version. I'd go along with that but hope like heck that Italeri have molded it in firm non-vinyl-ey plastic.
The cockpit has comprehensive framing and molded-in detail of controls, radio equipment etc -

The whole kitset "fell together" rather well actually and I am about at the point of beginning painting the main airframe -

I may need to buy decals for this one though, which probably means waiting for shipping from eBay, so I might as well ask here -
DOES ANYONE HAVE [1/48th scale equivalent] RED 24" CODE LETTERS & NUMBERS decals?
Obviously I need 'O' 'D' and '4' twice over, preferably with the 'squared' type 'O' as seen in the B&W photo that begins the first post of this thread.
I have all the insignia, serials etc.
Tonight I shall most likely fit the flaps and paint the first coat of 'Silver'.
Cheers
Wally.
PS - here's the only shot I have (obliquely) of the co-pilots IP -

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: correct photos etc

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 5 days ago #4

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice work Wally, as usual...Oldmodels Decals has them $18 set

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 5 days ago #5

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 428
Looking nice alright. I would think Italeri would have bought the molds themselves and used their own styrene, so I would think the plastic would be better.
I can't wait till I'm retired/semi-retired so I can start churning out kits like yourself....

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 5 days ago #6

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Geez Wally you are a machine!

Hey Ive got an "OD" x2 you are welcome to have, from the p-40N ventura decals, though the numbers are 22 not 44, I am guessing theyre the right size but I wouldn't know for sure??

Also have a look at this site for your Mr Surfacer
www.tamiya-shop.co.nz/shop/finishing-mat...-2686_2746_2768.html
I don't know if thats cheap, but seems OK to me? I haven't used the stuff either so cant vouch for it either way. Maybe another option.

PM or email if those "OD's" fit the bill and ill grab your details.

Jim :)
Attachments:

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 5 days ago #7

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh I think these ones are too rounded huh? My bad :)

These moulds must have done the rounds with a few different companies, I have a couple Heller kits that are the same but different plastic.

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 4 days ago #8

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationHi Jimmy,
Thanks for the offer and the link. I have never before heard of or encountered in searching the web a Tamiya-Store.co.nz but there it is eh? I find that kinda bizarre ...?
I wonder if they are actually based in New Zealand?
Unfortunately, moments before seeing your post, I had paid for 2 x Mr Surfacer 500 and 1 x 1000 from Hong Kong on eBay @ US$5.38 + $9 total shipping.
They'll probably take weeks to arrive so maybe I'll just buy one locally ... (assuming they are NZ based)? Good price too.
I actually have heaps of Ventura OD - 22s left over from Kittyhawk builds and yes, the 'O' is too rounded but gosh I wish I could use them. I am, as you may know, completely enamored with Ventura decals.
I hope these Fantasy Printshop decals I've ordered on eBay are half as good.

I had to buy 24" red codes to get the square 'O' and 24" red 1946 codes to get the rounded 'D'.
I am building up an enormous collection of Code Letter & Number decals, especially White, Yellow, Light Grey and Medium Sea Grey (and now Red), mostly 1/48 but all sorts of sizes (like they work across all scales really), so if ANYONE WANTS ANY SPECIFIC LETTERS OR NUMBERS JUST LET ME KNOW. I might have them and you'll pay only postage, maybe not even that .... what's 70cents after all.
I saw a Heller Harvard on eBay the other day and wondered if it was the same mold. It's done the rounds alright.
Cheers
Wally.
PS - I have found rebelalpha on eBay to be an excellent source of decals.
PSS - the Tamiya store is variously located in Hong Kong, Japan and Canada so it doesn't really matter that I purchased from Hong Kong on eBay. Might even be the same shop, just a different web address or something.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: PSS

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 4 days ago #9

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah I bought some compound off them the other day, incidentally I didn't know they existed untill the other day too, and it s only option is international shipping 7-14days so it all comes from not here but at $7NZD is about the same as here really..

On the Heller kits they advertise the T-6 D or G variant, I'm guessing they are same as the Mk IIa etc. but named the 'american' way? Either way looks like I'll be bookmarking another of your builds for future reference!

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 3 days ago #10

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Nice Wally. Love your work :-)
Tiger

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 6 years 3 days ago #11

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks TIger and Jimmy, I'd be interested to know if the Heller T-6D variant has a different cowling because I have encountered an accuracy issue rather late in the piece ... see the end of this post.
Anyhow, this build has progressed rather well in a couple more sessions.
(Evening sessions Gaz. I don't spend all day at the modelling desk. What I suspect is that brush painting is quicker than airbrushing. I may be slop-slappy too for all I know. Another factor is I don't struggle too much over accuracy issues - as you'll see - but just go ahead and build it to the accuracy level I know at that time or can [easily] manage).
Assembled to painting stage and masked.

You can see where Tamiya XF85 enamel Black [Rubber] has worn off the framing where I've been handling it. This is the nature of the vinyl-ey plastic.
I use Tamiya acrylic Flat Aluminium for my "silver". As far as I know this was painted on the aircraft, not its bare metal. Tamiya enamel XF-85 mixed with Buff for the anti-glare panel and walkways, which are lighter still, and Humbrol enamel Insignia Red for the top of the cowling -

For the Yellow wing bands I had the choice of Humbrol enamel Insignia Yellow or Tamiya acrylic self-mixed Insignia Yellow. I chose the latter for its quick drying properties and boy do I wish I hadn't. Applying this paint was a nightmare. It went off extra fast, I've no idea why. Two brushstrokes if you are lucky and then its all over. I ended up giving it three coats and I was literally praying as I did so ...

You can't see the horror marks in this photo. Parts of the yellow looked like Hadley's red helicopter he posted the other day on "Time to get an airbrush"

It worked out in the end, as things do, I applied some Silver shades to various panels, then panel lines. This will be about the least weathered aircraft I have ever built -

Check out the yellow showing through from inside the wings behind the wheel wells -

A 'problem' with Yellow plastic molds. If I was making it again I would literally prime or interior green the entire interior, wings and all. There's some original plastic colour showing through my Silver paint as well which I'll have to attend to.
I attached my modified long exhaust outlet, the Harvard IIA short version -

- then referred back to my photo references .... Oh oh!

The Kiwi Mk IIA Harvards clearly have a straight cowling rear edge whereas the T-6G (with long exhaust) has a cut-out -

So now I have to decide whether to try to correct this in-situ or just leave it ..... Hmmmmmm .... ?
(What bugs me most is not having noticed it until right at the end)
Aside from the exhaust/cowl issue [to be resolved] and masking the canopy - a major job as there are no pre-cut masks available I can find - I am very pleased with the outcome and now await decals from USA for this and Mr Surfacer from Hong Kong for Walrus, which means I can start on 1/72 PBY-5 Catalina & Grumman Duck ...
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: clarity

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #12

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Corrected cowling. I sanded back the protruding exhaust pipe and applied some Tamiya Basic filler. It seemed dry when I sanded and painted it but it sagged a tiny bit at the bottom overnight. I'm gonna leave it -

I await the arrival of 24" RAF Red Code Letters & Numbers from the USA, having sorted out all the other decals. It seems Harvard wore smaller roundels than most RNZAF aircraft, so I have had to pilfer from all and sundry eg fuselage roundels from one of the Walrus options, 1/72 upper wings from the oldest parts of my stash etc.
Meantime I contemplate my options regarding PBY-5 or PBY-5s, considering no response to my plea for 1/72 Airfix seated pilots and given that I am unlikely to produce my own decals in time .... (continued on XX-O Dumbo posting)
Cheers
Wally
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #13

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Looks like it's been fighting you all the way to the end.

One other thing I noticed between the reference photo you posted and the kit, is where the top of the engine cowling meets the bulkhead, on the kit it is flat, in the reference photo there is a small triangular hump. As I say, most likely weay too late to fix now but just something I noticed. I saved and edited your pics to show where it was. See below...

Otherwise it looks like you've wrestled it into submission pretty well. You are getting good at beating some of these older, ill fitting kits into shape.

- Gaz
Attachments:

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #14

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks "Keen Eyes" Gaz, Yes, on NZ1050 that fuselage/cowl area has a machine gun mount look to it does it not, a la Douglas Dauntless? Indeed I see many similarities between Harvard and Dauntless. However the same does not seem to be the case with NZ1041 in 1945 when the taxi-ing accident photo was taken
- photo to be inserted here from other computer
- see very first photograph in this thread.
Within certain limits, that process of knocking older kits into shape is becoming increasingly interesting to me. One day I might even take on one with raised panel lines and re-scribe the whole thing ... Revell's 1/32 F4U Corsair and Monogram's 1/48 B-24 Liberator come to mind.
Got any 1/72 Airfix seated pilot figures?
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #15

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Now that you mention the gun cowl it does sort of look like that, doesn't it? Oh well, I suppose every kit can't be perfect can it? :lol:
You've still done a bloody good job with it though, old chap!

- Gaz

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #16

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Here's the NZ1041 photo again -

The aircraft does not appear to have the gun cowl.
The assumption I am making is that NZ1041 - the subject of this build - has a cowling/exhaust connection as per NZ1050.
Got any 1/72 Airfix seated pilot figures?
Cheers
Wally.
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #17

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree Wally, I don't see it either...bloody nice job

(sorry Gary I swore, didn't mean too...ooops...bugga...ooops) :whistle: :oops: :P

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #18

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
The correct question for me would be "Got any airfix?" to which the answer would be no, unfortunately....
If I did, Wally, they would already be on their way to you... B)

- Gaz

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #19

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Point taken, darn it, because of the 1/72 pilot figures Airfix's are about the best in my opinion. They didn't put any rivets on them!
I might have to buy 2 x 2 seater Airfix kitsets. Grumman Duck can be one of those of course. It's just bugging me that the one's for sale on trademe are like $6.50 shipping to anywhere in NZ or $12.50 to Rural Delivery! (Anywhere else in NZ)
Any Hasegawa or other brand's pilots? I imagine you would have said so don't reply to that.
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #20

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Also can't help with any 1/72 pilots, since most of what I build is 1/32 or 1/48... Sorry matey!

- Gaz

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #21

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
No pictures today, just a brief update.
Having purchased RAF 24" Red Codes in 2 styles to get the different 'square' O and rounded D they arrived today from USA.
Would you know it ... the red colours are slightly different!
Looks like I'll be choosing between a squared D or a rounded O.
There's only a certain amount of money and effort a fellow can expend for 6 decal letters!
Darn it.
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #22

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Yep, darn it and darn it again. 1 decal issue becomes 2.
So I applied the brighter red 'squared' code letters last night -

The letters are about the right size, the 'O' is pretty correct as per my reference photo and the brightness of the red matches the red in most of the other random assorted spare decals that make up the set. But having applied them all I don't like the squared 'D' at all. It looks for the most part like another 'O'
(Incidentally, these are Fantasy Printshop Code letters from Scott Ziebuck or rebelalpha on eBay and they are pretty good decals. Thin, they release quickly, although they may lack a modicum of colour density. Scott has a great collection of decals for sale)

Having done the port-side this is where conundrum No. 2 arose. Assuming the fuselage roundel is in the same position starboard there isn't space behind it for the 2 x letters 'OD'. So how was the starboard side done? I referred to Ventura decals for Kittyhawk NZ3278 'OD-22' where the same situation must surely arise. To my astonishment the decal placement does not say what to do on the starboard side. I thought about waiting and asking online but I am an impatient modeller and also felt that surely logic and common sense must prevail both in reality and my model ...?
Either A) they moved the roundel forward and did 'OD - 4' or B] they positioned the starboard roundel directly opposite the port and did '4 - OD'.
Those, I figure, must be the options, other than perhaps overlapping the OD behind the roundel ...?
I have seldom seen roundels positioned differently on opposite sides so I figured B] is my most likely option and proceeded on that basis -

Thankfully this morning on WoNZ a member named John whose avatar name is Harvard1041 has posted a starboard side photo which vindicates my decision. Now I am only left with a choice of either living with the squared Code Letters or removing the decals and replacing with rounded Codes which are a darker red colour ... it's a tough choice because, although I think ultimately the rounded letters will look better, boy, one thing I hate is removing decals!

All preference comments welcome.
Wally.
PS - underside shot -

and a comment regarding my 'last two' (41) on the cowling. When I was building Lockheed Hudson I made the decision that (generally) where a discrepancy exists between what my eyes see in a reference photo and what is written about it I will trust my eyes. Robert Montgomery states the cowling code numbers are also Red (and he may very well be correct) but my examination of the photo with my trusty magnifying glass tells me they are darker than the cowl top and OD-4 letters and more-or-less match the anti-glare panel, known to be black. Therefore I think they are Black.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: clarity

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #23

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
looks great tho Wally...I agree with your assumption...the roundel as I have seen stays opposite each other on the fuselage sides

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #24

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Last evening I got out the MicroSet fully prepared for a long decal removing session but they came off a treat. Once I got some flat brush bristles under them it was all over for these Red WW2 RAF Code Letters & Numbers and on with Dull Red 1946 RAF Code Letters & Numbers in less than an hour -

Despite the 'O' now being too rounded I am much happier with these. The 'D' is correct and recognizable as a D and the slightly darker red is more accurate too. I applied a gloss coat this morning only to later in the day be faced with an email from John, who actually owns NZ1041, questioning some of the colours, eg the anti-glare panel may have been Olive Drab and there may exist hard evidence the cowling '41' was red after all. It's a minefield this historical accuracy thing! Oh well ... we shall see how it pans out. Meantime I must make the best job I can painting the canopy frame without die-cut masks!
Wally.
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #25

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Murphy's always lurking about eh? Soon as you finish doing something you find out it shoulda been done differently.

She's looking good either way Wally. Hows the kit go together so far?

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #26

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Jimmy, it all fits together pretty well but I wouldn't recommend the Hobbycraft version because of that slippery vinyl-ey plastic.
Even during decaling I actually rubbed off some silver in a couple of places just holding the thing! (I'd only glossed where decals were to go)
I recommend you get Italeri's version if possible but it is not a huge deal. Enamel paints may stick to the plastic a lot better than acrylic.
The separate flaps provide an opportunity to create "flaps down" like mine and the cockpit is quite nicely detailed OOB.
Having applied a coat of KM Klear over the whole aircraft after the decals I now have convincing evidence the 'last two' were Red not Black and it seems very likely the anti-glare was OD. Not sure I have decals to do the cowling codes but I'll look into this 'remedial' work over the weekend. Darn it!
All this is the result of my own stubborn impatience so I guess I deserve it.
Wally

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 11 months ago #27

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
The 1/48 12" Red Letters & Numbers decals arrived and I applied them last night along with OD anti-glare panel. Matt coated Harvard today with Dullcote aerosol after re-applying the broken pitot tube. Just the canopy, main aerial, aerial wire and a few other minor details to go now.

Then, of course, gotta think about how to display it for the competition ...?
Cheers
Wally.
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #28

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Here is the aircraft finished for my 5th entry, although I haven't paid the fee yet. (I'll rectify that shortly)
I found the Mk II Harvard canopy included in the T-6G kitset particularly difficult to mask & paint, unable as I was to find a commercial pre-cut mask for it. It is a bit untidy close-up.

I'm still experimenting with my elastic thread, which I have used here for the aerial wire. It splits into individual cores (with some difficulty) and this is about 1/2 original thickness. It still had enough tension once stretched to put ever such a slight bend in my stretched sprue aerial! The finest core I got from it appeared round in profile and was finer than a hair but still stretched the same.
Hopefully I will have time to build a tarmac base for my Harvard.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #29

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Again another nice Kiwi job, though I am a keen kiwi subject follower...
How many kiwi subjects do you have now, plenty I assume.
Cheers Grant

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #30

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Very nice Wally!

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #31

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Looks great Wally.
Tiger

• Page:
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee