Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #31 by Wally
Yes sir-eee, I got that detailing bug someit mean.
I realized I had done Shagbat's horizontal stabilizers but not the rudder so I hacked that off too and built up interiors for it and the tailplane -

A tad more progress on horizontal stabilizer hinges - which I made a bit of a mess of - and actuators, located as per my references but I used existing rocket launchers cut down and sanded 'rod-like' so they are not strictly accurate -

Cleaned up and filled the wings, floats etc and added aileron actuators. Flap actuators are not evident and must have been internal in the fuselage I guess -

Now I have to get my head around the several rigging options so as to decide whether I fit rigging points in advance or not and how many. I've been 'swotting' this and the two methods with most appeal are 1. (Most preferable for adjustment) The Double Loop Turnbuckle method

or 2. Single loop constructed turnbuckle (although I don't see how this can be applied both ends and also tensioned ...?)

Although the Classic Airframes Walrus kitset has 16 resin rigging points to clean up and glue on, my evaluation of the actual aircraft is that there are at least 32 of them for the main wings and possibly 8 for each float and possibly 8 above and 8 below the engine. Each of these requires, of course, a tiny hole drilled in it , so just how far I want to take this detailing I am not exactly sure yet ...
Also, it turns out fishing line is frightfully expensive (by my standards) but I managed to score some stuff called "Metallic Thread" from the $2 shop in Kaikohe

Meantime Eduard's Canopy Masks for CA Walrus are a reasonable fit with some minor cut adjustments (to each and every pane of glass) -

Can't wait to collect my KM Weld from the Post Office and start assembling all this!
See you next time
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wally. Reason: additions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 3 months ago #32 by Kiwimav
Nice job sir

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 3 months ago #33 by jimmy07
Lookin good Wally! :)

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #34 by Wally
Shagbat!

About ready for the paintshop, where it will be painted in 2 main parts, as per pictures 1 & 2, with engine nacelle, floats and inner wing struts painted separately.
This is so interior rigging around the engine can be done first and rigging attached to the upper wing before it is attached to the lower wing. Should be fun!
I've gone on and on adding details as I discovered them, a step on one engine strut, bollards and anchor points, fuel line flanges and rudder actuators with tailwheel-rudder actuators yet to come.
Classic Airframes Walrus resin rigging connector 'eyelets' are described by one online builder as being "smaller than gnat's eyeballs". I can't do gnat's eyeballs so mine are grossly over-sized and out of scale, as, I anticipate, will be the rigging itself (which I am still researching). They are 1/48 rocket fins, drilled 1mm on the rocket, cut off and cut down and sanded in some cases, then CA'd into location. It's a good process but I need a much smaller drill ....!
The interesting conundrum arose of not having painted inside the engine nacelle. I tried pouring some black in and shaking it which made an awful mess.
Eventually painted it dark green and added some (what I take to be) oil pump/oil cooler detail underneath.

Cheers
Wally.
PS - If anyone knows about a source of plastic micro-tubing 1mm diameter or less, please let me know. By installing the eyelets I have more-or-less committed myself to the single-loop method for which I need dozens of short lengths of micro-tubing to create turnbuckles. (Could maybe be brass too?)

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wally. Reason: Add info & pics

More
6 years 3 months ago #35 by Gary
The hobby shops in Auckland sell the brass tubing plus I've seen it on TM a few times

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #36 by Wally
Shagbat painting and decals!

The whole process is stalled [like Harvard NZ1041] due to one (actually two) incorrect code letter decals. From all the thousands of decals I own I did not have a 'rounded' Black B in 24" - 30" RAF style. The Ventura decals 24" letter being too 'squared' ...

It's so infuriating! So off i have sent yet another order to Scott at rebelalpha on eBay for 24" Black 1946 codes and, just to be safe, 30" as well. I can't afford this hobby! Now I have to think about whether I can rig and assemble this Walrus completely except for that one decal either side and apply it when it arrives, then gloss coat, weather some more if appropriate and then matt coat? Or just sideline it until the decal arrives? That will make 3 builds sidelined at present.
Oh well, on with Grumman Duck I guess ....
Anyone got any 1/72 pilot figures of any kind whatsoever they don't want ...? Email me if you have.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wally. Reason: try to remove italics

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 3 months ago #37 by CyNaKyL
I don't want to hear these excuses about lettering or codes... It's not good enough, Wally!!! :lol:
I jest, it's starting to come together mate, and looking pretty good as usual... Hopefully the codes turn up soon so you can get this one squared away too...

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #38 by Wally
No excuses now for not finishing Walrus -

Another awesome delivery time from Scott at rebelalpha on eBay!
If because of the approaching deadline I have to choose between my Catalina diorama and this Walrus build and it's display, Walrus will win.
Smer's Walrus and CA Lockheed Hudson have been my favourite builds of 2013 so far.
I hope to have lots more to post after the weekend.
Cheers
Wally.
PS - You see what I mean about decals? Here's 2 sheets of black code letters and I will initially use just 2 x 'B's from the front 24" sheet because the rear 30" letters are too large for Walrus. So if anyone wants black code letters in either of those sizes to scale (or approx 48" & 60" at 1/72) just let me know ... and especially if you've got 1/72 pilot figures to swap.

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Wally. Reason: PS addition

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #39 by Wally
Over the weekend Shagbat got its letter 'B's applied and the whole thing gloss coated -

Then an application of Dullcote, either the final one or the first of two depending on how rigging and final assembly goes.
Emboldened by practicing some rigging on Grumman Duck I embarked on the lower central motor 'tower' which must be rigged before anything is attached above it ... like the engine. I continued with elastic thread and because of my configuration of holes - which are not very realistic - I was able to 'weave' the same thread through several holes, saving a lot of time -

I created one 'turnbuckle' each side using 1mm insulation off electrical multi-core cable but what I notice in these pictures is that the thread is kind of flat as opposed to round and some twists have shown up. Some of this could be the result of my over-use of superglue and trying to superglue the cross-over points. The thread has a strong tendency to osmosis and superglue may distort it. I won't be doing any more of that. Anyhow, this area of rigging will be perhaps the least noticeable once the engine and upper wing are in place -

I can certainly understand builders who favour this elastic thread over fishing line because it is so easy to create tension. Whether it will go through the 1mm insulation twice to create a loop I have yet to find out.
I'm a little disappointed in myself now for not waiting until I had smaller drills so I could create lighter rigging. I knew when I made the rigging connectors using 1mm holes that the rigging was going to look 'heavy' and it does; almost moreso in 1/48 than in 1/72 on Duck, which I find peculiar. However, it is a satisfactory first attempt and I like the look of the turnbuckle, over-size though it may be, and look forward to finding ways to create more of them.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Wally. Reason: clarity

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #40 by Wally
Continuing with the slightly cartoon-like theme of this build, I have now fitted the floats and attached the engine nacelle to the upper wing and rigged them both, though it is not really done in that order. I attached one end of each wire first then cemented the float then fitted turnbuckles or attached the other end as required.

It's a good test of patience and dexterity this rigging business! I'm developing my technique as I go. I really like the elastic thread but wonder whether a truly circular (or tubular) version of it is available. Anyhow, my best way to attach the non-turnbuckle end is to tie a (stretchy) knot before applying a dab of Superglue on the end of a pin. This will harden and the loose end can be cut off. When everything else is in place I slide the turnbuckle (wire insulation) over the thread - this can get really tedious - and push it up the other end. Feed the wire through (or into) its connection point, stretch, loop it around itself, apply glue and wait a few moments. Cut off the excess thread, slide the turnbuckle down and apply a dab of glue at its base. Done! Nex one ....
I have discovered that this thread stretches a long long way and I believe I can reduce both the thickness and flatness on the upcoming long runs between wing struts by stretching it a lot more. It apparently stretches six times its own length! Stretching it a long way does not result in a huge amount of pressure either. It's great stuff. I think it will be my future preference for aerial wires too.

I mixed up some Tamiya 'brass' colour to highlight the turnbuckles. All this rigging is shamelessly over-scale.
I'll definitely have some touching-up to do with minor glue and paint marks.
Despite the unrealistic size of the rigging I am liking the look of it.
Wally.
PS - the thick black tubes or hoses either side above the engine nacelle are fuel lines up to the port & starboard tanks in the upper wing. They are fairly realistically sited but like most other details on Shagbat the hose is over-size in scale.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Wally. Reason: spelling

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #41 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I
Hey Wally, for the rigging try E-Z Line. Comes in four colours and two weights - 0.03" & 0.06" - Brown, White, Black, Green. Around thirty metres per roll and stretches to 7 times it's length.
Cant find anyone in NZ stocking at the mo, but i'm continuing the search. It is available offshore.

It is all the rage at the moment, and it is round in profile. I have a roll of black and several members down here have used their own for ship and aircraft rigging and it looks beaut.

D1

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #42 by Wally
Hi D1, I've heard of E-Z line and I think maybe that's what WingNut Wings calls it?
Now I've looked it up. I'm not sure if it's the same stuff but interestingly it is called RAF Flat Rigging Thread so the profile may not be incorrect.
wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3068&cat=5
Mine looks like the stuff on this site except maybe mine is thicker ...?
They do say though, as do others - Hannants I think - that it is a sewing product - Prym 977 770 Knitting-in Elastic - and may be available at your local sewing shop. I believe I have struck something very like it here in Kohukohu of all places, except for the slight flatness of the profile and maybe the diameter. My bobbin cost $2.70 and today I bought another one for good measure.
Tonight I'll try stretching it a whole lot more and see how it goes.
Anyhow, thanks again and keep me informed if you find some. I'll keep looking too. Meantime I have committed to this elastic thread whatever it is for Shagbat and will proceed with the oversize rigging on this one.
Live and learn.
Wally.
PS - interestingly for me, despite all the supposed detail of WingNut Wings - of which I have zero practical experience - their website does not seem to promote, describe or supply anything to represent turnbuckles. I would have thought this was even more important at 1/32 scale on an otherwise highly detailed model ...?

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Wally. Reason: add PS

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #43 by Wally
Well, I was going to document my entire rigging process on the wings in the event it might be of use to others but Smer fatefully intervened and I wonder what use my novice attempt would be to other folks anyhow ...?
With all but the two forward-inner wing struts fitted to the top wing I set about tying, then gluing, then cutting off the excess elastic thread, after which I fitted a 'turnbuckle' over each and pushed it to the top -

Then I had to invert this wing, align all the struts after adding the two forward-inner ones and cement it all together with 8 or 9 lines dangling under each wing and - to my surprise - some of the turnbuckles sliding down or off. There was a rather large gap between struts and wing in the forward engine area which eventually required prizing off and regluing and generally quite alot of brute force (and cursing) applied to it.
I more-or-less stopped taking pictures at this point until I got it together satisfactorily but with some considerable mess to clean up.
Eventually the stretched wires and glued turnbuckles looked quite good -

Better unpainted than painted perhaps? (This is how all the examples on WIngNut Wings appear, with the thread apparently its original colour, a kind of whitey-translucence)
I went ahead and painted mine to match the other rigging already fitted.

I even ran over some wires with self-mixed Tamiya Rust colour, although it tended to bead atop the enamel gunmetal and I probably brushed most of it off again with a dry brush. I then painted the turnbuckles with my Tamiya Brass colour.
I didn't take any photos of the remaining finishing work, tidying up the mess from fitting the upper wing, cementing the cockpit, some ropes and a little pair of windscreen wipers - just like on the real thing - but it all went pretty well.
AND HERE'S SHAGBAT!

So after all the applause has died down .... Here's some things -
- The elastic thread did not work so well for aerial wire. The flat profile and twists are just too evident but I am going to leave it.
- The rope on the front is too thin compared to the rear-side ropes and the rigging. It's stretched sprue and superglued so I'm leaving it too.
I've really enjoyed building Walrus and I'm very pleased with the result despite some lack of 'realism'.
Feedback welcome including critique.
More finished pictures will follow soon.
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Wally. Reason: more

More
6 years 2 months ago #44 by jimmy07
Looks blinkin good Wally! I agree about the rigging elastic looking flat-ish, BUT you don't really notice unless you have your macro eyes on, right? Also if you compare this to having no rigging at all this beats it hands down any day.

And I really like that camo scheme., maybe 'cos it's different to the norm, but a good different. I think I will do an Avenger in the same and maybe even a Corsair (don't worry, RNZAF aircraft are still my preference!)

Jim :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #45 by Grant
Excellent stuff. :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #46 by Nosferatu
Luv it!...Inspiring stuff! :cheer:

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #47 by Wally
Thanks guys. Jimmy, as per a previous post, it appears RAF rigging wire was flat, leastwise according to WingNut Wings website. I think the main (or only) problem with mine is it is too thick.
I took around 47 photos of 'Duck' so here's some more. These are not my competition entry photos.

At maybe half the price or less than a Classic Airframes Walrus kitset - possibly a lot less - Smer's 1/48 (or 1/50) Walrus is a good option I reckon. Not an easy build by any means but since when was a Classic Airframes kit easy and personally I'd [almost] rather scratch build a styrene cockpit than deal with a resin one. HpH has recently released a 1/32nd scale Walrus at a fairly hefty price which would be a massive undertaking. I hope I get to see someone build one on here ... Moeggo .... Gary ....?
If time allows, I'm now considering building a base for my Shagbat with tarmac, sea wall, a wooden ramp and water as seen at Hobsonville in Weekly Review # 106. Possibly a circular or oval base.
When's that deadline again?
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Wally. Reason: adjust pics & add

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 2 months ago #48 by Kiwimav
Awesome rendition Wally...Looks great. The rigging tops it off.
Great job sir!

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 2 months ago #49 by Tiger
Awesome job there Wally.
Love ya work
Tiger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wally

More
6 years 2 months ago #50 by grunzter
Nice job Wally, ever expanding that Kiwi Airforce...
I like the crimped ends on the rigging!
Regards Grant

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 1 month ago #51 by Wally
Thanks so much for the positive feedback guys.
Just to keep this thread alive, got me a picture frame that might be suitable for a Walrus base, although it isn't large enough to have a ramp -

Maybe I should've put Walrus on it so you can see the area it covers huh? (Another rushed morning)
It will be an area raised quite high, 25 - 30mm, covering all but one corner - forming a sea wall - with tarmac surface and a tiny corner of grass. There will be an area of water lapping at the sea wall in one corner of the frame constituting maybe 1/6 of the area and not very deep at all.
I hope ....

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 1 month ago #52 by Wally
I also "kinda" finished a base for Walrus. I didn't have the time or space to make a ramp so it is parked up to one side of the tarmac over by the sea wall at Hobsonville (and I have no idea if that is in any way realistic). I had major trouble with Vallejo Water Effects on this and ended up giving up and leaving it how it is.
I'm also not going to post a final five pictures for this entry but I must say that, all things considered - like surface treatment and scratch-building - and notwithstanding the base, I feel Walrus is the best model I've built this year, slightly ahead of CA Lockheed Hudson!

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee