TOPIC: Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #2

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Pictures to follow in the next day or two, just a brief update.
Mr Surfacer 500 is a great product to use, it's really nice to be able to paint it on.
Man it is strong though! I had to do the application outdoors on the verandah. Such an imposition at my place.
However I think I should have sanded back the plastic to begin with because after 6 coats it's still not really smooth and I am wondering ....?
Finally decided to scribe some essential panel lines before applying more Mr Surfacer and those panel lines have come out trench-like.
I think I have gone the wrong way about this ...
Just downloaded some cockpit and interior photos because I find it hard not to scratch build nowadays.
I mustn't do too much though because, much as I like deep panel lines, I think the exterior surface might be next-to-ruined.
Cheers
Wally

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #3

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 929
No need to sand it, put some ISO on to a cotton bud and rub it until it goes down to near where you want it then buff it off with a cloth. That's what I do on panel lines now, it beats sanding all the detail out.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #4

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 428
I find ISO seems to struggle with cured mr surfacer. My solvent of choice is either tamiya lacquer thinner (which redissolves it and makes it easier to remove) or acetone based nail polish remover, but since tamiya lacquer thinner works so well and is easier to get (all the chemist seem to only stock acetone free) I just use that. But as G1 said, use a cotton bud/qtip thingy soaked in said solvent and rub away. If you are really careful you can get a smooth finish that will pretty much not need any other sanding.
Surfacer 500 is the filler of choice for this sort of thing, with 1000 or 1200 being used for primer purposes normally.

Regarding the kit, I think there's an engine hidden somewhere in the middle of all that flash... Holy flash, Batman! And what's with the decal outlines actually on the plastic, seems downright primitive I think... Especially since there is no way to remove it without removing all those golfballs, i mean rivets, from the fuselage....
Yikes!

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last Edit: by CyNaKyL.

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #5

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
Boy Wally, you got a goodun there...i agree with both Gary and Gaz re: cotton bud, thinners, rub n wipe method, works great.
Those sprues are rather chunky...however, I am sure you will weave your magic and out will pop this great looking sea urchin...looking forward to seeing the progress pic's s always

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #6

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers guys. Some progress pics will follow shortly today.
I'm glad someone offered an alternative to ISO because I don't have a clue what ISO is ...?

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #7

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Catch up.
Like I said, it's a major imposition working out-of-doors at my place -

I don't have any photos of the exterior with my new panel lines gouged into it but thanks for the tips on using Mr Surfacer and panel line removal guys.
I'll see how I get on.
Instead I turned to the interior, Googled "Walrus Cockpit", looked at CA Walrus builds and actual cockpit pictures, some being old drawings. The printer at the gallery here is faulty right now and only allowed me to print 2 pictures, so I went home and worked from those and from memory. I meant to take a photo of the Smer cockpit instructions picture. Suffice to say it is fairly basic OOB with a half-floor (correct), 2 half-walls (correct) - the rear one being the Navigator/Wireless Ops position - a pilot's and navigator's seat, a control column and instrument panel.
Walrus's actual interior is pretty damn fascinating to me, with a fold-down co-pilots seat and column, another set of pedals on a starboard half walkway, step plates in the 'turrets', controls and intercom radio equipment etc etc.
I seem to remember saying, "I mustn't do too much though ...." YEAH, RIGHT!
Off I went ...
Interior framing, seat cushions, conduit, fire extinguisher, Oxygen bottle (as seen on a CA Walrus build) ... and on it goes ...
Here's a couple of unpainted pics a la Great Wall & Kitty Hawk kitset ads -

Painted it all and mocked it up again in stages so hopefully the parts will kind of (time lapse) accumulate through these photos. Portside -

Some things got a bit 'cartoon-like' as in my wonky walkway scribing and so I exaggerated the size of the undercarriage raise/lower pump beside the pilot's seat. Walrus lends itself to a little cartoon treatment in my opinion. Here's the Starboard side -

And they fit together kind of like this

With a tread plate and partial walkway at the rear turret -

So my Smer Walrus is now more detailed inside than any Classic Airframes one I saw online! Perhaps unfortunately I also saw online a highly detailed engine and this one piece Smer motor - hidden somewhere amongst the flash as you say Gaz - is just begging for detail-up treatment.
All this detailing may effect the outcome of my entry. I'm not sure I now want to put plastic pilot figures in the seats, make the prop look like it's turning and have it displayed racing across the water ... I'll have a think about that ...? Leaning towards static on it's undercarriage now.
Cheers
Wally.
PS - as with other detailing exercises of mine this is moderately accurate at best. I am conflicted about my own attitude towards this. I could do better I guess and be more historically accurate as opposed to representatively so. However, as seen here this Walrus interior is as accurate and possibly moreso than any I have seen.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: Postscript

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #8

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 102
Isopropyl alcohol?

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #9

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
looking good Wally...seatbelts?

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #10

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Looking good Wally, Love ya work and your speed.
Almost tempted to build a winged kit watching all the flyboys builds at present.
You do a few commissions I believe, Do you have fair sized collection yourself, the way you smack them out I would say you have a few ?
Tiger

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #11

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers D2. Yes, fitted belts last night. I used the green Eduard USAAF belts for the pilot and just IJA lap belts (coz there's plenty of them) with USAAF anti-chaffs (same) for the navigator, all painted Tamiya enamel Buff.

Having refered to photos again I also made a rope reel and (loosely representative) anchor for the front 'turret' -

So here is what the kitset cockpit is made up of OOB -

There's three really comical pilot figures, all with moustaches!
Here's my (port) cockpit -

- plus of course the starboard side with walkway etc etc
Next challenge is making something out of the one-piece engine.

I've downloaded some photos of both the real thing and a finished Aires Quickboost Pegasus X.
Gotta get me some KM Weld off Gary to join the fuselage halves which are a long way off a perfect test fit.
Tiger, thanks and yes, I have a collection of around 60 aircraft at present. When I first joined KM I listed them one after another in Aviation Showcase so they will almost all be way in the depths of that thread. I occasionally sell built models to make space for new ones (and in rare moments of financial desperation)
Doing commissions and the Desert GB on here has expanded my interest into diorama, 1/32nd scale and realms outside the PTO too.
I'm getting increasingly interested in RNZAF in other theatres of WW2 and in the inter-war NZPAF & early RNZAF
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: add pics and text

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #12

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
The back yard looks fantastic!!!
...and so does the plan :)
The double prop is interesting to say the least.
Grant

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #13

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
The basic crankcase, cylinders and push rods on the kitset engine part are actually quite good.
Here's the main site I used for detail pictures, the great thing being the pictures themselves appear to be Walrus era!
www.seawings.co.uk/walmangal.htm
I've got quite a bit of stuff to connect to that basic engine structure.
And here's the wonderful online build which includes the Quickboost engine photo -
hyperscale.com/2007/features/walrus48cb_1.htm
I would also appreciate any experienced biplane modeller's input into how to do the rigging? Should I use stretched sprue? Or is there a wire product?
How do you make the connections? (One review I read said "pre-drill" .... really .... drill holes!)
Cheers
Wal

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #14

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
  • Thank you received: 55
Outstanding, Wally.
The detail pics are brilliant!

I still have the prop from the Matchbox (edit: not Airfix) kit built (and scrapped) yrs ago. Now I can pick up another with more optimism.

Regards

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
r-mcarthur.wix.com/717squadron# !
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Testors 1/72 Harrier, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D
Last Edit: by RossMack.

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #15

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
PM Dave Johnson (Moeggo). Since he builds so many of the wingnut wings kit he would be the best person to ask.
And yes, ISO is isopropyl alcohol. Pretty much what most of your acrylic thinners are based on. Meths would also work... But lacquer thinner works best for me, if you use tamiya lacquer thinner then it won't affect the plastic like automotive lacquer thinner will...

- Gaz

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #16

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
yeah...i got to agree with Grant, your back yard looks sweet, wish mine looked like that.
the interior detail you added looks great Wally...nice job

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #17

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers folks. Incidentally, that's my front yard. Here's the back yard, long view -

and here's both together with house ... cottage really. It's all very "off the grid" - (bit like me) - and all very unfinished (ditto) -

Back to Walrus. Here's a state-of-the-play with the exterior. It is maybe not so bad after all? I definitely want some panel lines.

Although upon really close inspection some rivets, insignia etc still show a tiny bit. I might try a coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 in some places.

So last night was an Obsessive Compulsive session with the engine. This is fun! The things you can do with a few drills, stretched sprue, rockets, superglue, cement and paint. Here's the basic unit with holes drilled in back for the fuel lines (I take them to be) and in front for the stubby exhaust outlets -

Said exhausts are sections of ICM 1/48 Spitfire rocket shafts -

Exciting huh? I also drilled holes just in front between each cylinder for ignition wires and fitted them and the exhausts and a cross tube on the back of each rocker housing -

Then I crowned the top of each rocker rod with a short 'arm' of stretched sprue - all very "representative" -

I painted all this Tamiya enamel XF85 Rubber (my Flat Black) and while that dried made some injector tubes. I first made V's by Supergluing 2 short sections of stretched sprue together which I had cut at an appropriate angle -

Here's a tip for Hadley and other stretched sprue novices or fans. For reasons of pure convenience I used Trumpeter 1/32 Corsair sprue for these and I found that it bends rather well (using grunty tweezers) whereas most others break -

I also drilled the exhaust ends as carefully as I could. And all that is preliminary to the really fun part ..... PAINTING!!!!!

Humbrol Gunmetal on cylinder edges. Tamiya Dark Copper ignition wires. Self mixed Tamiya Burnt Iron Exhaust colour. Humbrol 21 Gloss Black con rods. Tamiya Dark Sea Grey crankcase. I fitted the injectors and painted them Tamiya Gunmetal, then kinda dry brushed other stuff about the place, eg silver and Tamiya Bronze (for heat scorched metal) etc etc.

On my old reference picture there are two tubes at the bottom I take to be oil coolers or filters and some triangular shaped things up on top dead centre cylinder so I added them and some oil lines into the air intake [most of this is "representative assumption"] and voila .... the engine is ready and, to my mind, much improved ....

Crikey that's alot of photos .... enough already!!!
Most model making fun I've had since .... well .... since doing the interior detailing a couple of nights ago ... or since detailing Lockheed Hudson a few weeks ago ...
Cheers
Wally

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: more

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #18

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Damn, Wally, you really turned that mishapen lump of styrene into a pretty damn good representation of an engine. I'm impressed with the scratchbuilding and judicious use of whatever you had at hand. I doff my hat to thee....

- Gaz

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #19

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
wow!!!...great job Wally...you dab hand at detailing you...
how the heck do you store all your artistic renditions in the lil place...like the vistas and the country living

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #20

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers d2. I store my models crowded together on shelves.
I'd take photos except I am frightfully embarrassed about the dust that encrusts most of them.
The 'vista' you refer to is true New Zealand back-water country. The Mangamuka River where it joins Hokianga Harbour.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #21

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Awww go on, lets see
I am so envious, I miss NZ's countryside. Gotta say the smell and fresh air is one of the reasons I shall return for.
Beautiful place man...love it

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #22

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
That's a nice spot you have there Wally. Now I know how you find that peace you need to do what you do ;)

The Walrus is coming alng nicely too!

Paul

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #23

• SilverArrows
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
You a doing a bang up job on the Walrus Wally. It looks like a kit that could give you some trouble if your not careful.

For rigging advice, have a look here: Rigging , I would say it's easy but the three WingNut Wings kits I have in my display case at the rigging stage would say otherwise.

Regards

Blair

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #24

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks Blair, I will have a squiz at the rigging link when I get a chance. Much appreciated. I think the remaining components of Walrus will go together okay.
The fuselage join will be tough but Gary has promised me some KM Weld to help. Some filler will no doubt be required in places but the hard work of detailing is mostly done now.
The Smer kitset has surprizingly nice smooth 'fabric effect' wings which I might fluff up with a fine sandpaper.
My next Walrus, likely to be another Smer, will have the wings folded. The kitset joins are in exactly the right places.
And d2, YOU ASKED FOR IT !!! Here is my one remaining 1/72nd kitset on display at home on the never-cleaned top shelf ...

It's Academy's F4U-1 Corsair as NZ5485 Kohimarama IX. It became a work of art during my Applied Arts studies but has since been much improved by the resident spider ...! So it's also a living Fly Trap now .... although, I haven't seen the spider in quite a while ...
Such are the lengths us non-housekeepers will go to in order to justify our lack of cleaning activity.
I anticipate some more progress on Walrus during the weekend. Cementing wings etc. I am loving doing it.
Cheers
Wally.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwimav

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #25

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
If the roof was sky I would ask how big that spider was! :blink:

- Gaz

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #26

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
artistic license Wally, that F4U is going so fast and turning so tightly that....omg...LOOK at that...an all over vapour trail...a lot of condensation in the air, humidity

d2

Update In Stash:
Last Edit: by Kiwimav.

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #27

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
If the roof was sky Gaz I'd be more concerned about the size of the bird!
But really folks, we should get back to lavishing condiments on my deliciously roasted Walrus!
I hope to make some progress on it over the weekend. I am really enjoying building this old clunker.
Thanks Blair for the rigging link. Bit of a mission but it will be well worth it if I can get hold of the parts, those eyelets etc.
If not, some method of using monofilament (fishing line) definitely looks the best prospect.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #28

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 929
Nah sorry mate lets talk about that bloody huge spider web you got crawling all over your models, at least I think there's a kit in there............ :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #29

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
It's a very persistent bug this detailing and scratch-building virus and where Smer's Supermarine Walrus (Shagbat) is concerned I am completely riddled with it. So when it came to assembling wings, floats, engine nacelle etc etc I simply could not help myself. Everywhere were detailing and scratch-building possibilities. The flaps were barely connected to the wings, so they had to come off for repositioning (inspired by Jimmy's aileron efforts on his P-40N) -

I managed to resist doing the ailerons too, though they will get actuator arms as seen in the something like 30 pages of detail and rigging references I downloaded and laboriously printed out. However, the one-piece slab of horizontal stabilizers could not be left as it is OOB. My almost new and trusty razor saw made very long work of them, worth the effort after much filing, sanding and filling of the injector marks. These have hinges and actuator arms to build yet. [The Classic Airframes kit also has 16 tiny resin rigging point connections I will probably attempt to replicate somehow]

One thing leads to another with this virus. I started to notice small and larger protrusions, tubes and flanges around the engine nacelle and added them -

And then, after looking at another online builder's Smer Shagbat who had also done interior detailing then complained about it being lost to view I got thinking about the canopy. One is much more likely, thinks I, to look inside and to see inside if the canopy is open and, as it happens, Shagbat's canopy really does open very wide -

Mmmm, thinks I, I wonder if I can do anything with Smer's thick, one piece (but mostly correct and well proportioned) canopy ....?

There followed the truly dangerous and enduring cuts of the evening. I have often said you need nerves of steel in this modelling game and cutting the canopy into 4 parts tested mine to the maximus - You only get one shot at this sort of thing. Miss and you're up for another kitset I guess ...?

It worked though, apart from one small scratch, and I'm darn proud of it. This will improve the look of the thing no end ...
I also assembled the propeller and scratched it a bit with coarse sandpaper to replicate woodgrain and then filled the sink marks ... which means I'll have to sand it again right ...? Oh well ...

Last coat of Mr Surfacer this morning, regardless of what it does or does not cover up the hull/fuselage is complete.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: corrections and add pics etc

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #30

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
very nice Wally...all those bugs n things are really biting you huh...
must be that country living

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 4th Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Supermarine Walrus I 5 years 11 months ago #31

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Yes sir-eee, I got that detailing bug someit mean.
I realized I had done Shagbat's horizontal stabilizers but not the rudder so I hacked that off too and built up interiors for it and the tailplane -

A tad more progress on horizontal stabilizer hinges - which I made a bit of a mess of - and actuators, located as per my references but I used existing rocket launchers cut down and sanded 'rod-like' so they are not strictly accurate -

Cleaned up and filled the wings, floats etc and added aileron actuators. Flap actuators are not evident and must have been internal in the fuselage I guess -

Now I have to get my head around the several rigging options so as to decide whether I fit rigging points in advance or not and how many. I've been 'swotting' this and the two methods with most appeal are 1. (Most preferable for adjustment) The Double Loop Turnbuckle method

or 2. Single loop constructed turnbuckle (although I don't see how this can be applied both ends and also tensioned ...?)

Although the Classic Airframes Walrus kitset has 16 resin rigging points to clean up and glue on, my evaluation of the actual aircraft is that there are at least 32 of them for the main wings and possibly 8 for each float and possibly 8 above and 8 below the engine. Each of these requires, of course, a tiny hole drilled in it , so just how far I want to take this detailing I am not exactly sure yet ...
Also, it turns out fishing line is frightfully expensive (by my standards) but I managed to score some stuff called "Metallic Thread" from the $2 shop in Kaikohe

Meantime Eduard's Canopy Masks for CA Walrus are a reasonable fit with some minor cut adjustments (to each and every pane of glass) -

Can't wait to collect my KM Weld from the Post Office and start assembling all this!
See you next time
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: additions
  • Page:
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee