Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 10 months ago #1

• sjr_76
  • sjr_76's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey All here is my entry for the Pacific groupbuild I will be doing a 1/48 A6M2 Zero Type 21 in makings of Pilot Lt Sumio Nono who was based on the carrier Hiryu from the strike on Pearl Harbour 07/12/1941.

Kits and Parts Used
Kit:- Hasegawa 07333 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Fighter Type 21 'Junyo fighter group'
Extras:- SBS Model 48028 1/48 A6M2 Zero Cockpit Set
Techmods 48097 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero Decals
Eduard EX062 1/48 Canopy Masks
Wako Inc FP-13 1/48 IJN Standard seat belts (Made from Fibre)
CMK 4119 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M2/A6M3 Zero Engine Set (On its way to replace the kit cowl and engine)

Kit and Bits

Resin Bits from SBS Model from Hungary

Seat Belts and Decals

Cleaning up the cockpit sills and old attachment points ready for the resin to be inserted in, just need to do

Some of the cockpit resin bits ( Some of the best resin I have seen so far)

For a supposed new release from Hasegawa some of the molding and steps in the fuse seem very amateurish,I think it comes from the fact that this mold does all of there Zeros from the 11 up to the 52 with some slight tweaking. Its not going to effect the build at all it'll just need to be sanded out and then the detail scribed back in and I may even do some riveting to add to the surface detail. The cowl will be replaced with a resin replacement from CMK and the engine will also be resin due to the lack of detail in the kit engine and the crapness of the kit cowl molding

I have also seen a couple of resin and basswood 1/48 IJN flight decks that I would like to use as a base for the kit just need to see how it goes with the build.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regards

Steve R
Last Edit: by sjr_76. Reason: Cant spell to save myself

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 10 months ago #2

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Cool! Look forward to seeing more of this!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjr_76

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

Have a geez at my FlickR page
www.flickr.com/photos/65989117@N03/

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 10 months ago #3

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 516
nice...looking forward to seeing more on this build

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 10 months ago #4

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Me too! Bring it on. I'm a great fan of WW2 IJN aircraft though I have no time to build them anymore.
The resin looks excellent.
Those Wako Inc fabric belts in 1/48 are welcome news to me too. I'll be looking them up especially if they also make Allied seat belts.
Can't wait to see more of your build.
There's been one of those Model Master (I think) IJN Carrier Deck bases on trademe lately at what seems like an excellent price.
Cheers
Wally

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 10 months ago #5

• sjr_76
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Cheers for that Wally, But I just splashed out on the 1/48 Nautilus IJN basswood IJN carrier deck so will get building up that after the zero is finished.

I am also waiting for a couple of reference books to arrive from Japan, so when they arrive I will look at doing some riveting, not rivet counterish riveting more for the general effect.

Thanks once again now its back to beating the fuse into submission. :evil:

Regards

Steve R
Last Edit: by sjr_76.

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 10 months ago #6

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
I've had the privilege of seeing Steve's finished aircraft in person, oh lucky me, and they are superb. So expecting your usual or better rendition on this one Steve :evil: No pressure mate . . . :whistle:

Glad your now onboard

Cheers
David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 10 months ago #7

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
Looking forward to it Steve :cheer:

"Rough as Guts Production's"
Last Edit: by Dads Army.

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 9 months ago #8

• sjr_76
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Okay well I have managed to get a little bit more done this week, I would of posted this up earlier but our macs keyboard gave up the ghost after 7 yrs but its been changed now so here goes. I received some more refs and the CMK 1/48 A6M2/3 engine and cowl set which I have removed and separated from the resin trees ready for clean up.

The cockpit resin floor has had its resin and PE detail added, I was going to get some resin wheels for the Zero but could not find any for this type so I decided drill out the wheel hubs ready for brake lines and I used the missus iron on a low heat and baking paper to weight the kit wheels to give the impression of being full of fuel ready for the attack on Pearl.

The fuselage side wall detail has been added to both side walls one thing I did notice was that the side walls from SBS are not accurate dont get me wrong the resin is amasing but its just little things that stand out when you have some great refs and detail drawings. I used most of the PE but substituted some of the levers with fine wire and put a drop of CA on the PE and wire to bulk out the levers. I also added fine wire of the control cables and electrical wiring for the radio gear. For the rear cockpit bulkhead that the seat attaches to I represented the seat adjustment rig with fine wire and small PE, I also drilled out all of the lightening holes in the bulkhead to give that sense of depth. The 7.7mm type97 light machine gun have had there PE charging handles added and a blob of CA to bulk out the knob.

I also received the Nautilus Models bass wood 1/48 IJN Japanese carrier deck with its laser engraved detail and mini routed tie down points, it'll have to wait till I am down with the Zero as at present i have no ideas on how I would present it seeing as I last did any wood working in 3rd form, but I'll start looking for ideas and go from there.

Engine and Cowl set

Engine and cowl set in all its glory

Cockpit resin floor with PE detail

Kit wheels weighted and drilled out

Fuse side wall detail added

Rear cockpit bulkhead and 7.7mm machine gun detail

Port cockpit side wall detail

Stbd cockpit side wall detail

Also my Nautlius models 1/48 IJN basswood carrier deck arrived

Wooden deck with tie down points and individual board and nail details which have been laser cut and mini routed to give this awesome detail.

Hope you enjoy the update and I have now realised how much i still hate PE but it does look good and I am thankful that the carpet where I model is dark so the carpet monster only managed to get one little bit of PE that I was able to scratch build anyway, now comes the part I really like the painting of the cockpit so in the next update she should of had a primer coat of Mr Surfacer and be sitting pretty in her paint. I am also looking at riveting the fuse and wings but dont know whether I should do this before or after the primer coat. I had seen a build where it was done over the primer and looked really good does anyone have any thoughts???

Regards

Steve R

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 9 months ago #9

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
very nice indeed...looking forward to seeing the build progress

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 9 months ago #10

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Funny that about PE isn't it? Love it and hate it. Me too.
It does look good though. The carrier deck section looks excellent too.
Following this one with great interest.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 8 months ago #11

• sjr_76
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok it's been awhile, but i have some updates for my Zero which now needs to be finished before the 27th of Oct as I am now going to Aus for work and have to get it to D1 to take up to Armistice for me to go into the club display.

I have riveted the entire plane the jury is still out on how it will look under paint but I enjoyed the exercise in doing the riveting, sorry no pics yet still working on it

The cockpit and engine have entered the spray bay and been detail painted and now have a gloss coat ready for a wash then they'll get a matt coat to tone everything down.

The CMK engine is almost done and the engine leaves alot to be desired, the fit is crap the resin parts dont line up at all and need alot of trimming a test fitting, the PE that comes with it defiantly was not designed to be used on this engine because it doesn't fit it, with the from cowl support ring being way to big to fit and yes the overall width of the engine is 22.5mm what CMK recommend, the ignition wires come in PE and most dont reach the front cylinders let alone the back ones. The resin exhaust and cowl flaps have no locating posts and the instructions say "Cut asunder and dilate as needed" I think a whole load of asundering and dilation will be needed to get it to sit right. But hey at least it fun.

Group build pic

Had to leave the GB pic out for the macro shots the white was causing the focus to go all funky
Cockpit floor - A dark wash to add the shadow and then a tone down with some matt and I need to pick out the little window in the cockpit floor to simulate glazing

Port Side wall - A dark wash to add the shadow and then a tone down with some matt

Stbd side wall - A dark wash to add the shadow and then a tone down with some matt

Seat - Just needs a wash

CMK resin engine - Light wash to go on the cylinders and a grime wash on the air intakes and cylinder housing, the exhaust and engine cowls area also in need of some paint

Prop & spinner - Spinner and prop spray in MrMetalColor MC218 Aluminium which is buffable and comes up really well

Gear legs & wheels - Wheels need some touch ups and wash, the gear legs need brake lines

Regards

Steve R
Last Edit: by sjr_76.

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 8 months ago #12

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 101
Looking really good. The interior cockpit detail is brilliant. Excellent work!

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 8 months ago #13

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Wow that looks great Steve. Lots of detail in there.
Looking forward to the final product.
Tiger

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 8 months ago #14

• sjr_76
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok here we go again, I really don't like the look of the cockpits all glossy but it does give a good base to lay down a wash. I used the MIG dark wash and several of AK's enamel washes to create the effects of shadow and to give a general lived in feel to the cockpit and engine. After the wash had dried for a day I applied a Gunze flat coat from a rattle can which really helped to tone down the wash and unify the colours

GB proof pic

Sorry about not having the GB proof pic in these shots the macro on my work camera really doesn't like the contrast between the light and dark with it playing havoc with the focus.
The CMK engine after a wash and matt coat

Cockpit side walls and floor

Wheels

Next up is to prep the canopy for klear and painting, then it'll be onto putting the cockpit into the fuse and closing that up. I also need to cut out my wooden deck in preparation for attachment to it's rimu base.

Regards

Steve R

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 8 months ago #15

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Good stuff old son! That engine looks brilliant. Tell me, what have you used for ignition wires on it?
I love the shadowy recesses of your cockpit and you've certainly created the "lived in look" you set out to achieve.
Excellent. Can't wait to see more
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 8 months ago #16

• sjr_76
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Wally wrote: That engine looks brilliant. Tell me, what have you used for ignition wires on it?

Wally I used the CMK ignition harness which is crap, but i should of just drilled the crank and put in my own 0.3mm wires to simulate the ignition harness. At the time i was ready to throw the resin engine across the garage but i'm glad i didn't as it's come together really well now, but I will now do my own ignition harness in 0.3mm wire in stead of using PE. The wire colour was the new AK rust arcylics brush painted on which I was really impressed with.

Regards

Steve R

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 8 months ago #17

• sjr_76
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have started to install and thin down the SBS resin cockpit to fit inside the fuse all seems to be going well the cockpit floor is down by about half and wheel wells are thin to within inch of there lives ;)

I added 0.4mm lead wire for the brake lines and used the Gunze Iron metalizer to give a good contrast between the black of the gear leg and the brake line. I tried to paint up the fibre seat belts and that was an epic fail so painted and washed the PE belts but i think they look really good. The cockpit side walls have been fitted and the gun well insert in front of the cockpit was glued in place and the Mk97 7.7mm guns and instrument panel added to the cockpit.

For the wood deck I sealed it with Mr Surfacer 1500 and then sanded it down to a nice smooth grainy finish, I then started to paint individual boards with a range of AK acrylic paints which I laded down perfectly apart from the light rust colour which I exhausted all of my bag to tricks trying to get it to spray right in the end I gave up and sprayed gunze RLM75 Sandy brown to try to vary the tone and shades of the boards. For the top coat I mixed thinned coat of 30% buff and 70% deck tan and added some more buff to darken the deck as I went, to blend the top coat I thinned out the dregs in the colour cup and sprayed the highly thinned mix over the deck. Next I let the deck dry and started to apply yellow ochre and burn umber oils paints sparingly, a large flat brush was used to apply the oils and a cut up sponge was then used to streak the paint to simulate the wood grain in the deck. The next step I mixed up a very thin mix of 25% clear orange and 75% clear yellow to try to get the light honey colour of Hiryu's wooden deck built up with multiple light coats then adjusting the mix as it was needed. Next for the deck will be to paint the tie down points then apply the white deck markings seal the acrylics with a gloss then go to town with enamel washes to give a deck that heavily used look the period pics seem to show followed by a matt coat to tone and blend the deck ready to be attached to it base.

GB obligatory pic

Brake lines installed

Side wall with instrument panel and guns installed

Gun sight ready for glass panels

Seat with PE belts added, the fibre ones didn't take the paint very well so back to the drawing board with that idea

Wooden preshaded up with various colours and painted with a mix of 30% Buff and 70% Deck tan then oils applied with a large flat brush to simulate wood grain effect.

The deck after a unifying top coat of 25% clear orange and 75% clear yellow to replicate the yellow tinge of Hiryu's carrier deck whihc appears to not be made of teak like its sister ship Akagi.

Regards

Steve R

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 8 months ago #18

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
That deck looks stunning SJR! I really like those tones! Nice stuff!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

Have a geez at my FlickR page
www.flickr.com/photos/65989117@N03/

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 7 months ago #19

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
The carrier deck section looks great but GEE WHIZZ that's superb cockpit detail!
I'm liking this more and more ...

I enjoy doing research

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 7 months ago #20

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Great job all round...he cockpit and engine detail is fantastic...as is the deck base...cant wait to see this one finished

d2

Update In Stash:

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 7 months ago #21

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Wow pretty blimmin cool.
Tiger

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 7 months ago #22

• sjr_76
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Quick up date, the centre line and parking lines sprayed with AK cremswisse and Vallejo white onto the deck as well as the aircraft tie down points in dark sea grey. It was then sealed with a gloss spray and left to cure over night. AKs enamel Dark brown AK045, AKs Dark wash for wood decks AK301 and Migs Wood aging solution was used in successive layers to build up the tonely variation and to give a used/worn look to a wooden flight deck on an active aircraft carrier. A final couple of coats of Gunze Matt out of a rattle can was applied to tone down the colours and help to blend them in.

I'm happy with the final result I didn't want to go to over board but if you look at some of the WWII picks of IJN wooden carrier decks there was a very wide scope to weather the crap out of them. I still need to work on my macro photography to try to get better close up shots.

Regards

Steve R

Steve's - Pacific GB - 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 Zero Type 21 5 years 7 months ago #23

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Awesome!

I enjoy doing research
  • Page:
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee