Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #2

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
wow, that is an old kit...nice job on the cockpit area...hope the wing fold works for yah...the radial looks a tad dodgy...like the history behind this build. must have been pretty neat and inspiring to talk to the man who flew the bird in WW2...watching the progress with lots of interest.

d2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #3

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
Man, you don't muck around alright Wally!! It seems to have a few challenges for you - I'm looking forward to another masterpiece :-)

"Rough as Guts Production's"

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #4

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Thanks D2 and DA. What you call "not mucking around" is a minor aspect of and issue with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder! The build becomes my only pastime, although I did watch Dynamo Magician Impossible on TV last night. I jest of course. I'm a well rounded [borderline] personality.
I spent quite a long time on the instruments in this Corsair's IP, deciding eventually that gloss black backgrounds with silver detail worked best. As stated on EyePaule's Lotus build yesterday I am certainly not ready to "die happy" and these instruments do not stand super-close-up inspection. They look good at normal viewing distance though (as you'll see later) -

I also finished and assembled the cockpit, which looks pretty good in-situ against added sidewall detail -

and the engine, which is painted fairly much as per the Trumpeter builds, except there's not much I can do about the oil cooler (I think they are) shapes etc -

It could certainly be alot worse and at least there is something to see inside the open cowl flaps.
I got some work done on the undercarriage, adding a couple of extra struts and brake lines and began painting the wheels and tyres -

Revell's Prop is surprizingly accurate. It is a correct F4U-1A prop, despite the box lid saying F4U-1D, although each blade has a sink mark in it that needs filling -

- and which is still ever-so-slightly visible after painting. I didn't spot it. The prop will get a set of stencils in this case ...

While I am enjoying this build immensely I've kinda raced ahead of myself and I shall almost certainly turn my attention back to Lockheed Hudson tonight now that I have a subject aircraft, NZ2049, thanks to Dave Homewood ...
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: more pics and info

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #5

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Wowzer, coming along right nice like Wally . . .

D1

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #6

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Looks great Wally
Tiger

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #7

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks guys. Couldn't leave it alone again last night ... (where have I heard that before?) ...
I got the wingfold mechanism to 'work' - loosely speaking, such as it does - but it is only for the purposes of fixing in the up or down position anyhow. It's not viable as a working wingfold -

So I have fixed it in the down position using (what little remains of) my trusty KM Weld ... Can I get more Gary? (I keep asking in PMs but you seem to miss it)
The wing assembly leaves these very open wheelwells with no walls on the inside, front or back, only the outside -

And it's surprising what a difference simply drilling out the exhaust outlets makes. They still need a tidy up.

The fuselage goes together quite nice and tightly indeed and shows off the cockpit rather well -

It ALMOST didn't require any filler but I'm skimming the seam just to be sure -

Having a ball doing this old bird!
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #8

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
very nice sir...some plastic card and a lil scratch building (fiddly as it looks) and those wheel wells will look the part...the cockpit has come together really well, looks great...she's starting to take shape...watching keenly as always Wally

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #9

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers D2, however I will not be improving the wheelwells. The client and I agreed to focus on the stuff that can be seen in normal display conditions, eg the uppers.
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #10

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
As with most of the Corsair kitsets I have encountered, fitting and cementing the wing root area is an issue. Revell is no exception. Thank goodness for KM Weld (and again I appeal to you Gary - Can I get some more?). I cemented the front & rear fuselage areas of the wing assembly to the fuselage and then KM Welded the upper wing join -

then I distressed the engine mount/firewall and cowl flaps, fitted the engine and the cowling -

So basically NZ5286 is ready to paint, if I can decide what scheme to paint her. There is a debate going on over at WoNZ about the camouflage scheme and suggestions or speculations are welcome here too. Currently I somewhat favour a field repaint in Non-Specular Sea Blue, possibly with a yellow cowl ring ....? It's alot to infer from that crusty old Rukuhia photo though.
In the meantime I got out the old Trumpeter parts and built another bomb rack, in the absence of anyone making a 1/32 ventral drop tank - although I must say Vitran's 3D printed Mazda wheels have given me all sorts of After Market ideas ...!!!!! There is a whole bunch of things I might just print!
An unused Trumpeter F4U-1D wing pillar, bent rocket, rocket mount, flat sprue plastic and stretched sprue makes an acceptable semblance of the Brewster carrier -

The bomb will be a 500lb 'Daisy Cutter'. I have to find out what the extended fuse looked like.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #11

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Discussions and negotiations about the colour scheme are now concluded. It will be a USN Sea Blue field repaint with an lighter coloured, replacement USN 3 tone cowling ring. In some places where there is new wear-and-tear on the aircraft the old USN 4 tone colours will show through, as on the front gear doors in the Rukuhuia photograph. I'm looking forward to beginning the painting possibly as early as tonight.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #12

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 929
Paint it the lower colour, hairspray it then the top coat and rub it back, would be interested to see if hairspray works under brush painting, should do.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #13

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
The idea scares the s*** out of me!
It seems like such a freaky idea, although I have seen some wonderful results on here.
You mean spray the whole thing with hairspray? Or just patches?
Also, while I have your attention, can I get another bottle of KM Weld?
Wally

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: ask about KM Weld

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #14

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I'd start with spray patches, try it on some scrap plastic.
Sorry meant to reply to your PM, so I've managed to convert you to the DARKSIDE of Gary glue aka KM Weld muhahaha. Will sort you out with something next week as I'm on leave and able to get to the post office.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #15

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Yes, my transformation to WELDER is more-or-less complete.
I still cement small parts but the larger the fuselage or wing joint the more I'm inclined to reach for KM Weld.
And when I see the bottle nearly empty I go into paroxyisms. I need more!
Damn it's hard in social situations to explain and at dinner parties to eat with these fangs though!

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #16

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
spay patches but don't flood the areas tho...could use the good ol salt method too...looking forward to seeing more...this is one of my all time favorite aircraft.

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #17

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I often use Rock salt and Hairspray, I spray the hairspray and throw the rock salt on, this lets you "knock" off the salt chunks. Over the next day or so it also picks up moisture in the air and turns the surround paint a white shade of the base which makes the chipping look better in my opinion, take a look at one of my vehicle builds.

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #18

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
yeah Gary, it works very well and yes your vehicle builds show it off well...would look good on Wally's Corsair

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #19

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Is there a tutorial or step-by-step instructions somewhere on here? Or someplace else?
Like, in this case a USN 4 tone Corsair has been repainted Sea Blue, so do I paint the original 4 tone paint first, then hairspray, rock salt (a clove or two of garlic and a sprig of parsley) and then paint the Sea Blue on top of that ...?
Hi everyone, my name's Wally and I'm a compulsive procrastinator ....
I'm an absolute wimp when it comes to trying or learning new things. I either need guidance at every step or I wait (sometimes years) until "It feels like the time is right" (which in reality is utter garbage or self-delusion) like with CA Lockheed Hudson. I bought and sold 2 others before working up the courage to finally build one.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #20

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
Have you considered painting some of the kit with Tamiya rattle cans Wally? I ask this as you may run into issues with the salt method when brushing on the top coat. You really need to spray the top coat on, using the brush will most likely dislodge the salt crystals.

Check the link Gary posted below, it is the step by step I followed when trying the salt method on my Opel Blitz a few months ago

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Last Edit: by Andrew.

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #21

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #22

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers, thanks guys. I'll look into this. Maybe just hairspray first up.
I have some wing issues to resolve before painting. In preparation I was handling the model and one KM Welded wing folded up on me. The other one cracked away from the fuselage. In both cases there is very little to hold them, though the wingfold has small tabs I had not cemented before. I Superglued them before applying more KM Weld. There's a little clean up to do.
In masking the cowl ring I also discovered it is grossly under-proportioned, nowhere near deep enough. I can't scribe a new panel line because the existing one is raised ..!
I'm going to sit tight and have a good think about all this.
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #23

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I downloaded and printed out both tutorials on hairspray/salt weathering and took them home to read. What with the delicate nature of salt once attached, possibly needing Tamiya rattle cans and upon realizing another requirement is an additional dullcote layer I decided to forgo the method on this particular build. I am certainly keen to use it sometime. I also decided to go ahead with the cowl ring "as is". We are dealing, after all, with a ancient and fairly poor rendition of F4U-1A and I originally committed to building it more-or-less OOB. Hence I began painting. I opened my re-used Tamiya jar of self-mixed Color of Eagles [Aircraft Colors] Faded USN Sea Blue only to find it was almost empty. Here, I thought, is my opportunity to attempt to do something about the very thin "Vallejo-like" nature of CoE paints ... and having purchased 2 bottles of AeroMaster RLM 24 Blue (because an FS colour matching chart told me it was the same as NZ Blue Sea Grey [and it isn't] ... I wondered if I might mix the 2 best model paints in the world and come up with a Super Best Model Paint ....?
AM's RLM 24 is quite a 'bright' blue but mixed approx 35/65 with CoE US Sea Blue the resulting colour is an acceptable Sea Blue shade. The AM paint certainly thickens up the CoE nicely, however on application I discovered that these proportions still don't allow for "blending" on the model like AM does straight.
It's better than it was though. So the undersides got NS Sea Blue, the uppers Faded Sea Blue and the tops some shading with Very Faded Sea Blue, after which I back added some darker paint on panel line areas -

This becomes the somewhat weathered NS Sea Blue repaint coat of the aircraft. I then painted the cowl ring in 3 tone scheme and added back some areas of chipping, scuffing, edges etc where the previous 4 tone colours are showing through - this proved more difficult than I expected because most of the tops was Sea Blue beforehand, only probably more faded -

So I focused on now Sea Blue areas that were previously Intermediate Blue or Insignia White. If you are thinking, "He's overdone it" you are correct. I couldn't curb my natural inclination to harshly weather the beast - this is a battle-hardened war-horse who's been campaigning in the tropics for over a year after all - and I also thought, "Well, how are we going to know it's a repaint unless there's clear evidence of the previous paint scheme?" [And in this way I could justify almost anything!]
But I like the result and I hope the clients Allan & Brenton do to.

I also fabricated my own canopy masks, successfully painted the canopy and made a "daisy cutter" fuse and painted the bomb and its rack.

I will be applying decals tonight if I can drag myself away from Lockheed Hudson ... which is another whole different sort of challenge ...!
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: add words & pics

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #24

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Wally, you are very good with a brush! :whistle:

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #25

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Looking bloody awesome Wally
Love your methods and looking forward to seeing this big bird complete.
Tiger

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #26

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
love the weathering wally...you detail is on point sir

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #27

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
WOW . . . and here's another one too . . . WOW :woohoo:
Paul suggests you are good with a brush. Understatement !!!

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #28

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Here she is upside down on the decaling cloth about midnight last night -

I was most of the way through by then, having begun about 7pm with an attempt to use Roodecals roundels bequeathed me by a previous client. They proved too old and wrinkley. The paper behaved very strangely and the first roundel-bar more-or-less disintegrated upon attempting to slide it. The Roodecals have a dark roundel blue but most everything else about them is incorrect. There is no offset bars, the white indents too far into the roundel, the bar colours are all the same and the wing roundels are too small. I reverted to plan A which was Ventura decals 3269 "Tutae Wera" set. These are correct in every way except the lighter roundel colour.

Applying these decals (or probably any decals) to Revell's rivet happy, raised panel line Corsair is no mean feat. Ventura decals are notoriously fragile at the best of times. I've messed up the starboard fuselage roundel yellow ring somewhat. It proved impossible to shift and I was terrified of breaking it. Those separate yellow rings are devils of things and I for one don't understand why they aren't simply printed onto the roundel-bar ...?

Even on the port-side I couldn't get them to meet the white bar because, of course, they are calibrated for NZ5416 where the yellow ring didn't do this.
With enclosed raised panel areas such as the gun bay doors, drying the decals was a mission as water got trapped - lots of it in cases where I needed to move the decal around. I ended up doing quite alot of decal cutting before using much more than the usual amount of Micro-Set on them. (I often find Ventura decals don't need any). I gave NZ5286 a full set of gas sealing tape, perhaps freshly applied at repaint time -

1/32nd scale 8" black serial numbers are not readily available as sets like 1/72 & 1/48 are. The "Tutae Wera" decal set provides the 'NZ5' and the '6', a previously used Ventura Kittyhawk set gave the '2' but I had to crack into a new Ventura 32nd scale Kittyhawk set to get the '8'.
And I couldn't resist putting the code number on one gear door as was sometimes the case. I wanted to hand write it but my white paint pen hadn't been used for so long it wouldn't go. Colorado Decals French White Codes provided the rounder little numbers, though they still don't look hand-painted -

The larger white and yellow codes are Techmod US 45 degree code numbers. Very good thin decals if a little prone to lifting if touched later. The white cowling codes have yet to be "stencilized" with paint after the next gloss coat. HobbyBoss's 1/48 F6F-5 Hellcat provided the prop stencils -

One thing you can count on with HobbyBoss kits is that something will be way out of scale! Trumpeter's 1/32 F4U-1D prop stencils are the same. They are far too big. So with nothing much to do while the decals dry thoroughly I made a bpg (bullet proof glass) for the windscreen -

- and scratched up a couple of enclosure release handles for the canopy. These are made from cut down Revell 1/48 PV-1 Ventura bomb bay door actuators. Little details like this don't take long but make all the difference I reckon.

Cheers
Wally.
PS - Oh and I just want to show off my exhaust stains -

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: add

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #29

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I "stencilized" the white code numbers on the cowl. Really close up it is obvious how but at any distance the new paint just looks like more weathering -

Attached all the 'bits', Brewster bomb rack, "Daisy Cutter" bomb and the gear doors and she's all glossed up and ready for dullcote -

And here is the model on the dullcote bench (a separate room in the house, currently a general workshop & storage area capable of being ventilated and quickly evacuated after spraying)

The next photos will be of the F4U-1A Corsair NZ5286 finished.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #30

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
WOW...WOW...WOW...awesome, I'm drooling like a fool...excellent job

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 3rd Entry - 1/32 Revell RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair 6 years 1 month ago #31

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Good stuff Wally,
No race to the end on this group build, I think you will have your RNZAF squadron complete before some of us have even finished some individual track links :P
Grant

• Page:
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee