Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #61

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Thank you kindly DA. I shall name all of my village children Dad's Army as per Fred Dagg & the Trevs. DA 1, DA 2 etc.
I hope the farm life is treating you well?
I highly recommend Dullcote, as you know, and I will now fulfill all your requests, continuing in some detail as before.
Firstly, something has to be done about CA's Bolton-Paul turret to make it sit safely and straight in its basic opening. The next one of these I build will include a scratch-built interior mounting plate as per MPM's 1/72 version, which is realistically accurate. It was too late to add such a thing to this build so I went in search of something 'representative' of the turret base. My recently acquired Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D Mustang eventually supplied a centre-section of 150 gal pressed paper drop tank into which I could fit a Revell PV-1 Ventura seat back and the CA gunners seat with PE belts -

This 'tube' fits perfectly into the turret base. The Montex masks have done a reasonable but by no means great job of masking the turret. I tried some freehand corrections but gave up for fear of ruining it. Like many aspects of the project it is "adequate" or "reasonably good" -

This scratch-built addition certainly does the job of adding weight, stability and some sense of interior to the fitted turret. I'm very pleased with it in this regard and since the 'tube' can't really be seen it's a good outcome (for me) -

Having gone down this "representative detail" road with this build I decided to go the whole hog. I added underwing depth charges as seen on "Hudsons taxiing at Guadalcanal" photo in Chris Rudge's 'Air-to-Air' book -

I added the aerials and set about the aerial wires, a task I inevitably find very trying because it places glue in the vicinity of a more-or-less finished model.
I used Oldmodels Decals placement drawing which I take to be accurate -

Once again I think the outcome is worth it -

All sorts of little details like wheels and the pilots external gunsight (used in conjunction with a fold-down ring sight inside the canopy) -

And the removal of all those masks, which was quite an undertaking in itself. I also had to poke a small paintbrush inside the nose and up the fuselage interior to remove debris from inside some of the windows. There has just been so much filing, filling and sanding in and around this model -

But to be perfectly honest with you, I am chuffed with this -

More finished photos to follow. Once again, thanks everyone for all the encouragement and feedback.
Cheers,
Wally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: correct and add to

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #62

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Looking fantastic Wally :cheer: Boy you could teach me a few things about how to make progress. You make me feel like I'm standing still, or possibly even going backwards!! :lol:

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #63

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Yup, Chuffed is what you should be Wally. Now a little something to mount it on?? :whistle:

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #64

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks Paul and Yes, David, the next thing is a base, which it certainly needs. I have been looking at ready-made PSP bases but they all have limitations especially size and finish. There's a great looking 1/32nd scale base on eBay but the seller says "STRICTLY NO INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS".
It's looking like I'll have to build something, darn it, and in a model building competition at that!
I keep seeing what I think are gaps in the marketplace. It makes me want to go into producing things myself, commercially, like diorama bases, as I would like to do with decals.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #65

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 428
That looks awesome Wally. One to be proud of for sure. The turret looks like it's sticking out way too far but I know they are like that in RL, it just looks weird and I had forgotten how much they sit proud of the fuse.
I reckon a small base with some sand/coral and some of the metal planking stuff plus a palm tree or two would finish it off just nicely...

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #66

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks Gaz, I am thinking exactly along those lines for a display base.
Here's some more photos of the finished aircraft.

Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #67

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Very nice.... All these builds you do just keep getting better and better. A lot of those shots you'd be very hard pressed to pick that it wasn't airbrush. Top job with the hairy stick!

- Gaz

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #68

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
very nice job wally...well done...looks fantastic actually

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #69

• steveh
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That is a superb model Wally & a really useful thread, I'll be happy to use this for reference. I noticed you mentioned some info that Dave Homewood supplied for your colour scheme, was this something on WoNZ or directly. As a bit of a camo junky, this makes a great alternative & I'd be keen to know morw about it.
Steve.

Wally, I've answered my own question, flipped over to WoNZ & found the thread on the 1st page so all good, really interesting all around.

Last Edit: by steveh.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #70

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Top stuff Wally. Plonking it on a base is just going to make this look even better. Steel planks, sand/coral and palm trees is just the way to go.
Looking forward to it Wally
Tiger :-)

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 week ago #71

• Hadley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 130
what do you use for the "wires"?
as in the ones from the top of fuselage to the tail?
need something like that for my antenna wires
thanks

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars
On hold:
1/48 KA50 Hokum
1/72 Bell 412

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 week ago #72

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Hi Hadley, I use stretched sprue and I used a larger thickness of it at the connections to the tail.
I attach the 'wire' with superglue but holding it in place is often very difficult.
Many modelers recommend very fine fuse wire, 0.05 I think [?], but I have never tried it. Some modelers somehow get a spring-like winding into the connection area which I believe is totally realistic. A master of aerial wire is Calum on Wings Over NZ. Have a look at his last PV-1 Ventura build.
On my Hudson the connection areas between the main wire port-side and the 2 wires running down into the fuselage is simply superglue build-up over about 3 applications. Then I painted it Tamiya XF-85 enamel Rubber.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 week ago #73

• Hadley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 130
Stretched sprue? Do u just heat it up or something? Wouldn't it break be that thin?

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars
On hold:
1/48 KA50 Hokum
1/72 Bell 412

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 week ago #74

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Not if you do it right. It takes a bit of practise to get it consistently thin like that. I did try a while a go and I got a few thin bits but nothing useable, I need to practise more. I know Gary uses an elastic thread on quite a few of his kits. Looks nice and small and if you happen to bump it it just stretches more. He reckons you can get it in the railroading section of hobby shops but I've searched high and low and haven't seen it. Either I'm looking for the wrong thing or in the wrong place. Care to fill me in here G1?

- Gaz

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 week ago #75

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Hadley, in my experience some sprue is better than others. I find Hasegawa, Accurate Miniatures and some Academy sprue best but most sprue will do it to a greater or lesser degree. I heat a section with a lighter, not just an area the size of the flame but run it up and down about 2 cm maybe. About when it folds over and hopefully before it catches fire stop applying heat and wait a second. The longer you wait at this point the thicker the strand will be. Now pull gently, relatively slowly and evenly in both directions. It does take practice but nowadays I can often get maybe 300 - 400mm of useable strand from one pull sometimes. You will feel it tighten as it cools and being really gentle you allow it to kind of stop by itself, otherwise you'll break it. Then hold it for a few moments especially if its thicker and you want it to stay straight. While it's still warm you can mold it to some degree by, for instance, laying it over another long piece of sprue (in my case held in my mouth) to create a curve, ring or spiral, or some other object. If warm, not molten, you can bend it with your fingers, that's how I did the Hudson fuselage aerial arrays. I just bent a series of approx 90 degree corners in the strand as it cooled.
The finer the strand the less its breaking point but it is surprisingly strong.
Have a play and see how you go. You'll find your own best way of doing it after a while.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 week ago #76

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Hi Wally, your Hudson is looking fantastic, just had a good look through your photos!
This will definitely take pride of place on the shelf.
Always liking your Kiwi themes and builds.

Also will give the stretched sprue ago, as I have never managed anything more than an inch long :)
Grant

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 6 days ago #77

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Wally she's an absolute stunner! I have bookmarked this thread to use at a later date. Thanks a bunch for sharing with us!

Jim :)

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 5 days ago #78

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks guys. I'm certainly pleased with a great proportion of the build, especially my decision to buy a scribing tool and re-scribe all the panel lines - plus some new ones like the ventral gun tunnel - and to give the scratch-building a decent go, even if some of it is not strictly historically accurate.
For anyone building an operational RNZAF Hudson please have a look at this build's thread on Wings Over NZ. Subsequent to finishing the build I have been informed about some extra aerials - not such a worry - and particularly that Hudsons on operations were fitted with 2 additional Vickers machine guns in beam positions. These literally poked out of removed fuselage windows port & starboard back towards the entry door. There's a detail photo on WoNZ (provided Dave Homewood has paid up his photobucket account).
As always, of course, there's some things I'd do differently - like fade the Dk Earth a bit more in places - and I've learned heaps from it.
I'm bustin' to do another CA 1/48 Hudson if I can ever afford another kitset.
Meantime I plan to build a 1/72 MPM version sometime this year.
Cheers,
Wally.
PS - Jimmy, hope you bite the bullet soon and begin your Lodestar.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 9 months ago #79

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
This is a day late but heck, I've posted 3 entries now so I might as well put up the other 2. So here's a selection of my best Hudson pictures -

Very difficult to choose. I would like to have included these as well -

Cheers

I enjoy doing research
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee