Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #31

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Aha Jimmy me lad! This is the very kitset you nearly bought off me. Indeed it was that 'process' that ultimately decided me to build rather than sell it.
It sure is a deal of work this CA kitset but the old truism, "It's the really difficult ones that give most satisfaction" is coming true with it.
Doing the detailing and watching the epic lines of Lockheed Hudson emerging is really cool.
I can't wait to see your upcoming Lodestar conversion build. You must post every single detail of it on here and, in my opinion, enter it in the PTO CBI Group Build.
Cheers
Wally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #32

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
looking good Wally...

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #33

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Over the last 4 days or so I've spent about as much time on CA Hudson as on Revell's 1/32 Corsair. The Corsair is painted and ready to decal. Hudson is still quite a long way off that. This is the difference, I suppose, between a long-run (& somewhat basic) kitset and a short-run kit requiring lots of clean-up, correction and detailing.
On WoNZ Bruce Salmon described CA Hudson as pretty much "an empty shell" and I agree. I couldn't leave the wheel wells completely blank as they are OOB. Bruce's Rukuhuia build was the only reference I could find and, done properly like he has, it is fairly major surgery. I opted for a (sort of) 2D version -

I also found a set of soft coloured pencils I had purchased ages ago and one proved a good way (for me) of 'smoking' the wheel well structure -

The black part is supposed to be an actual square depression into which the wheel sits when the undercarriage is raised. The later addition of the wheel strut cover required more surgery in order to get the 90 degree angle with the ground. I opted to open a slot just large enough for the undercarriage, rather than enlarge the entire bay opening. It is technically incorrect but I couldn't work out another way -

Doing these adjustments, especially the last, meant I could avoid CA's strange instructions on fitting the landing gear and rear nacelle -

I'm not up for that, especially considering I am going to paint the wings off the fuselage and more importantly that one has to adjust the gear as it's being fitted to achieve the desired angle, which compensates for a 6 degree wing dihedral while achieving 90 degrees with the ground.
It takes ages to do this kind of adjustment and constant test fitting and with CA Hudson it is like this at virtually every turn. Challenging, worthwhile and immensely satisfying Jimmy!
Lots of filling to do on the fuselage seam and I drilled out the astrodome opening, which the instructions neglect, appearing to indicate one should site the dome on top and (supposedly) paint the opening. Plus I added the two small protrusions - are they lights? - which are prominent on this part of the fuselage (I have seen them for real on a local Hudson caravan). I used Hasegawa 1/32 P-40 clear replacement lights to achieve this.

This is just a part of it ....
I finally assembled the nose halves and set about the required filling -

I then fitted it and after cleaning up the join I decided I must carry the fuselage panel lines through roughly as indicated on decal placement drawings -

The great thing is that every additional thing you do on this kitset will improve the final outcome ... theoretically at least.
The vertical tailplane-to-horizontal stabilizer connections required endless sanding, some filing and test fitting so the fitting the entire tailplane assembly to the fuselage was a breeze by comparison. I have a feeling it may not require any filler!

Then I returned to the engines and wing assemblies. Nacelles and cowlings both require fill & sand the joins because they are not panel lines. Regards positioning of the parts in relation to each other, there is bugger all to guide you here either except the exhaust flange on the nacelle and an impression of the exhaust pipe on its counterpart rear nacelle/wheelwell. The resin crankcase rear is all that connects the cowling to the nacelle. It glues onto the centre flat left unpainted -

BUT .... one must decide how one will line the three parts up? It's a big BUT if you ask me. I elected to fit the nacelle (fronts) to the wings first and, sure enough, they do not fit very well at all. I don't have pics of just how badly but suffice to say a whole lot more sanding was required and then I scribed the join line back into it -

And I have added some rudimentary structure to the wing root join. It provides guidance, at least, if only minimal additional strength.

Phew! A long post covering maybe 3 or 4 or 5 sessions at the desk.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: correction

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #34

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have a winner already . . . :woohoo:
Awesome work Wally, I'm really looking forward to the end result here, as I image, are you . . . ;)

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #35

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I'm flattered David but I reckon I'll have to find a mighty spectacular way to display it to win the comp up against stuff like your Peliliu diorama.
By the way, how are the millions of tank track parts treating you!!?? Tehehe!
Just wrote a long-ish reply but my session timed out, damit!
Painting it will feel strange because it will mean all the assembly and detailing challenges are over.
I also want to appeal to anyone with RNZAF Hudson information and/or images. I'm getting conflicting information about code letters and want to have the largest possible pool of reference material to choose from. If you can send anything or link me to any info please let me know.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #36

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Don't know if you have looked here Wally . . . rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/ven1.html

Hope this is of use
OOPs, sorry, this is for PV1 Venturas but may still be relevant as code letters etc would not have been particularly different.

And here's something too . . . www.adf-serials.com/nz-serials/nz2001.shtml

David

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Last Edit: by 1/35th Battalion.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #37

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

On the Bench:

Last Edit: by 1/35th Battalion.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #38

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Looking amazing Wally. Your skill and attention to detail is truly outstanding, and proves to me I am definately not ready to tackle mine yet. Though when I do I will absolutely be using your thread as a guide and reference! :cheer:

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #39

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Great skills there Wally.
That is looking really nice
Tiger

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #40

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers guys!
I've now fitted the engines and cowlings to the nacelles. This is another area where there is no guidance, just a flat area of resin crankcase to bond to a flat area of injection moulded plastic. The air scoop should be top-dead-centre and the gap between cowling and nacelle, presumably, equidistant all around. I used a pencil mark dead centre underneath as my primary guide because there is another air scoop to add under there. I elected to use Superglue because I wanted the bond to be strong and I just wasn't too sure about Contacta in such a situation. Superglue, however, leaves little or no time for adjustment -

And, to my consternation, the gap is slightly larger underneath, where, if anything, I'd like it to be slightly smaller. This will mean greater adjustment necessary to the air scoops before fitting. (The instructions tell you to fit them ahead of the engine/nacelle combination which would all be rather suicidal in my opinion).

A more engineering oriented modeler might find another way of getting this more accurate ...? For me its a case of "too late now". I stand by my procedure though, I think its best done in this order 1] Nacelles to wings 2] Engines to nacelles 3] Air scoops to underneath of engine/nacelle in situ.
The build is creeping along a little bit each day.
Cheers
Wally.
PS Thanks for all the links David. I'd forgotten about some of those references and rather like the look of Hudson UH-N. So if I can find out its camo scheme and serial number I will seriously consider it. The code letters look light grey to me!
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #41

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Finally got the wings completed. This involved quite alot of work on the lower air scoops which diminished in size somewhat in the process. The exhaust pipes and [flap actuators?] fitted like a dream by comparison -

So Lockheed Hudson is ready to paint once I have cleaned up all the dirt and dust which has accumulated on it during the building and as soon as I decide on a subject aircraft. I fear the latter is going to be quite difficult. Ultimately I guess I really want to do one in the NZ Blue Sea Grey (or Blue Grey) and Dark Slate Grey over NZ Sky scheme recorded against the photo of NZ2035 SJ - F in Classic Warbirds - wearing faded RNZAF Blue-White-Blue roundels all over, narrow fin flashes and Lt Grey code letters - but not that particular aircraft (assuming that camo scheme actually even existed).
Here is the model with the wings 'mocked up' although they won't be attached until very late in the build process (to allow easy access to the inner wing & nacelle areas for painting, weathering and panel lines) -

Cheerio
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #42

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The hard work is beginning to provide evidence of being worth the effort ;)

Keep it coming Wally - you machine :lol:

David

On the Bench:

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #43

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
looking great Wally

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 1 month ago #44

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Looking awesome Wally. Cant wait to see what you do with the paint.
Tiger

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 4 weeks ago #45

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I have not done an awful lot in the last few days for a couple or three reasons - 1) Fear of committing myself to a particular individual aircraft. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But there you go. Not sure what decals to use on one, how I'd create the nose art for another ... all sorts of odd details - what size exactly were those fuselage code letters? 2) A pause while I had some email contact with Denys Jones about interior detail, he being the owner of a 1:1 scale Hudson. It proved too late to alter anything as I'd already closed up the fuselage & undercarriage bays but I am armed with heaps of info and pictures for next time. So now, whatever the cost, there will absolutely have to be a NEXT TIME. This build becomes "a good first attempt" .... ce la vie. 3) PAINT - The exigencies of paint never cease to baffle me. I was expecting to use my Testors acrylic US Dark Green but upon opening it I found it had gone all "gritty" like my Testors Flat Black after I put Tamiya thinners in it. Testors is another acrylic requiring a branded and powerful chemical thinners all of its own. This has resolved me to mix my own US Dk Green based on the Testors colour (which I take to be accurate) from available AeroMaster stocks of Nakajima Navy Green, US Green 42, US Olive Drab and UK Dark Slate Grey, with the possible inclusion of Mister Kit RAF Dk Green because it appears to be a water thin-able paint.
Meantime I studied drawings and resolved there is no panel line at the tailplane join so I filled that -

And finally I resolved to depict this aircraft as NZ2049 at Guadalcanal in late '42, early '43 in the partially repainted 4 tone scheme recommended by Dave Homewood. I've begun with UK Sky Gray on the undersides (after cleaning the whole model with meths) -

My re-scribed panel lines are showing up nicely. Probably way too deep for some but that's how I wanted them.
As far as I can gather as yet, NZ2049 flown by F/O Gudsell with 3 BR Squadron, was the first RNZAF machine to really tangle with Japanese aircraft in the Pacific Theatre, being involved in several running battles soon after the squadron's arrival at Cactus. I'll find out more ....
Paint mixing and colour matching tonight ....
Cheers
Wally.
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 4 weeks ago #46

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
loving it Wally. I secretly have one of these in 72nd part built. I am coverting it to the Howard Hughes 1938 around the world plane. One day I must get back to it!!

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 4 weeks ago #47

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Its looking really good in 1/48... perfect for a RNZAF collection.
I have a 1/72 waiting to be built :)
Grant

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 4 weeks ago #48

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
In a strange twist of fate the 1/72nd Hudson, assuming you refer to the MPM (and now Revell) kitset, is actually more detailed and accurate OOB than this Classic Airframes one, though it retains some of the same "short run" characteristics. I'd like to see those builds and Grant I hope yours will be an RNZAF example ...? Ventura decals new PV-1 Ventura decal set contains suitable roundels in a darker RNZAF blue or their P-40 Kittyhawks "Island & Home Based" can supply faded ones (in my humble opinion, though most modellers disagree about the lighter colour)
Thanks again for your encouragement.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 4 weeks ago #49

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Wally,
yes I have a large number of boxes filled with potential RNZAF flying machines, mostly in 1/72, and have been slowly offloading all my non kiwi stuff over recent years.
So mine will be a kiwi one for sure!
Grant

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 4 weeks ago #50

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Wally wrote: In a strange twist of fate the 1/72nd Hudson, assuming you refer to the MPM (and now Revell) kitset, is actually more detailed and accurate OOB than this Classic Airframes one, though it retains some of the same "short run" characteristics. I'd like to see those builds and Grant I hope yours will be an RNZAF example ...? Ventura decals new PV-1 Ventura decal set contains suitable roundels in a darker RNZAF blue or their P-40 Kittyhawks "Island & Home Based" can supply faded ones (in my humble opinion, though most modellers disagree about the lighter colour)
Thanks again for your encouragement.
Cheers
Wally.

Mine is the Italeri. It has been a nice kit so far, but I haven't touched it in years.. I will finish it one day. It wound be nice if someone made a decal set for the version I am doing though!

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #51

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Other than Airfix the various brands of Hudson are all from the same molds, originally MPM I believe. As far as I know the Italeri does not include a sprue with engines, cowls, air intakes etc to make the Mk III version, far and away the most common RNZAF machine.
So if you are not building an RNZAF one ... you traitor .... what is the version you refer to? Decals can generally be scrounged together for almost anything. I have a huge stash of decals - including things like Lt Grey & Sea Gray code letters - and I'm happy to help other modeller's where I can.
In fact I reckon there'd be a place on this site for a "Decal Swap" forum within each modelling thread ... aircraft, cars, AFV etc etc .... ? Whatcha reckon?
Let me know what this Hudson version is though eh?

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #52

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Wally wrote: Other than Airfix the various brands of Hudson are all from the same molds, originally MPM I believe. As far as I know the Italeri does not include a sprue with engines, cowls, air intakes etc to make the Mk III version, far and away the most common RNZAF machine.
So if you are not building an RNZAF one ... you traitor .... what is the version you refer to? Decals can generally be scrounged together for almost anything. I have a huge stash of decals - including things like Lt Grey & Sea Gray code letters - and I'm happy to help other modeller's where I can.
In fact I reckon there'd be a place on this site for a "Decal Swap" forum within each modelling thread ... aircraft, cars, AFV etc etc .... ? Whatcha reckon?
Let me know what this Hudson version is though eh?

He hee, yeah I'm a bad man Wally. Or am I?.. From memory I seem to have the parts I need. I want mine to look like this when done :)

Attachments:

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #53

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
Italeri kit actually comes with parts to do III, IV or V, some are just greyed out as "not for use". I plan to build a non-RNZAF variant when I get around to mine also, albeit an ex-Australian aircraft impressed into foreign military service, and even better - with noseart.

On The Bench
Tamiya 1/72 F-16C Barak conversion - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 ADF - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/48 F8U-2N (F-8D) Crusader conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D Mustang
Hasegawa 1/72 P-51D Mustang

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #54

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Awesome subject Paul. Howard Hughes and Emelia Earheart (sic) certainly made the Electra versions famous in their time.
Craig, here is the line from Brett Green's 2006 inbox review on Hyperscale which led me to believe the Italeri kit wouldn't build a Mk III
"Spare parts include the Wright Cyclone engines, but please note that the early cowls are not included."
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #55

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
A kitset fraught with challenges and now a build fraught with difficulty. I'm not sure whether it's me or the kitset making it difficult (over the weekend) but suffice to say this came awfully close to getting the DA P-51A Mustang treatment when I got really annoyed with myself. Also DA - I know you are lurking there somewhere - I have commandeered your signature for this one, "Roughs as Guts", because it is getting that way ...
Firstly a predictable difficulty. Disrupted camouflage pattern is one of the most difficult things to brush paint because you have to go around curves somehow

Some brush strokes are inevitable (for me) but they can be ameliorated by shading. I have assumed the Dark Green is only slightly faded, the same as the Dark Earth - which only remains on vertical surfaces - but the US Blue Grey applied at Santos is fading fast. First shot is US Blue Grey + Faded BG, second shot is as above with some Very Faded BG added - (three shades doth a colour contrast make!)

Once satisfied with the camo scheme I did my usual thing of adding panel lines, paint chips & exhaust stains in advance -

The second picture is of the ventral gun tunnel which I scribed into the kitset. I used lead pencil for all non-opening panel lines and ink pen around the bomb bay, tunnel, ailerons, rudders etc. Then I started making poor decisions. Firstly I decided I would fit the wings now rather than after the decals because without guides and locators - other than my own - the risk of glue showing is greater. This in itself is fine but the port wing join wasn't clean, I didn't check it carefully enough and it has a slight upwards indent between fuselage and wing. Still, I got the dihedral pretty right and the wing joins are strong -

Next I gloss coated with KM Klear where the decals will go. I'll never do this again because I have finally realized that gloss coating is cumulative. I shall henceforth only gloss coat the entire model prior to decaling. Lengthy searching through my decal stash obtained the following decals for an early combat RNZAF Hudson. Ventura 1/48 Avenger fuselage roundels (the incorrect ones) with the white bars cut off, Aussie Decals red centre dot, Techmod Sea Grey Code letters & Ventura 'stenciled' black serials from Avenger NZ2509 and PV-1 Ventura (the '4' from NZ4509). This left me with 2 options for the wing roundels - AeroMaster 1/48 RNZAF in WW2 Avenger underwings with no white bar - or - Ventura PV-1 Ventura upper wings with white bar removed. Foolishly I opted for the AeroMaster (I will never do that again either) -

It looks alright that wing roundel, doesn't it? It certainly had me fooled. 20 hours later when I put Klear over it the damned thing bubbled up. They were all less than perfect but I decided to remove the uppers to replace with Ventura and 'damage' the underwing AM decals. Removing decals is a bastard of a job!
Sometime in-between I left the aircraft with the turret resting on it - which is all CA's turret ever does do, there being nothing to hold it in place - then I picked up the model and inverted it, sending the turret crashing to the floor. The guns broke and came out. Considerable repair was needed. This was about when the whole thing came closest to being scrapped ....
Anyhow, the Ventura roundels went on a treat as they always do (though my cutting off of the bars isn't perfect) and with another gloss coat and some damage added my CA Hudson is ready for Dullcote and final details -

It doesn't look much different does it, except this Ventura decals roundel is nano-millimeters thin compared to the AeroMaster one. The panel line can be seen and 'washed' and the decal lies perfect when a gloss coat is applied. Always use Ventura decals if you possibly can Wally!

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: conclusion

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #56

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
:cheer: My 9 year old son who just saw this said "Wow that's Cool" !!!
I agree!
Grant

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #57

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice Wally, that is looking really nice. Sounds like a few little issues along the way. Glad to see it not scraped.
Looking forward to it finished
Tiger :-)

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #58

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks guys. I tend to over-dramatize. Those issues were never really enough to make me scrap the build.
But speaking of poor decisions, I went home last night and couldn't think (or didn't) of what else I needed to do before Dullcote application, so I went ahead and did it, 2 light sprays each side -

It looks quite good I reckon. Then I remembered the external fuselage aerial arrays which I want to add and must scratch build -

These would best be fitted at the gloss coat stage because more Dullcote will be needed to matt them and any surface blemishes created in the fitting.
Oh well, this model is going to be heavy on Dullcote I guess ...? [Expensive too!]
So I set about working out what parts I have that might scratch build these little things and there was nothing entirely satisfactory. I tried stretching sprue but couldn't get the shape of the frames so I finally settled on using all of my remaining PV-1 Ventura bomb bay door actuators from spares plus 2 un-built kitsets, cut down, with stretched sprue aerial wire and a central base of P-47D rocket launcher base also cut down.
Speaking of TEDIOUS David, I made up a 'soft jig' out of blutak and proceeded to superglue these bits together -

I should be thankful there is only 8 of them in total eh? 5 more to go. We all undertake our own forms of 'tedious' when we deem it necessary. I get a little quicker at assembling them each time. They are not as clean as I would like but they will do the job. There's 2 types of detail in this game I reckon, "absolute" or historically accurate detail and "representative" detail. My aerial arrays are of the latter ilk.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 3 weeks ago #59

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Once I got into mass producing these little aerials they didn't take too long. Then I had to fit them -

I even managed to make a mistake in siting the first rows, you can just see the extra placement mark in the photo where I drilled a tiny indent for the Superglue to attach to. I couldn't keep them perfectly straight in the building and even less so in the fitting -

They also protrude a little too far. I couldn't find a way of scaling this dimension from the photos I had as I managed to do the length and placement.
Nevertheless, despite all that, I am reasonably happy with them in that "representative detail" sense and I'm glad I built and fitted them. With a little (yet to come) natural metal enhancement here-and-there I think they add quite a lot to the finished model -

The next challenge is what, if anything, I can do about the turret which although it has a seat is missing a whole 'below floor' structure and any form of anchorage. I've chopped a A-20 Havoc cowl ring off which it fits into quite nicely but I can't find a way to secure that inside the closed and essentially finished fuselage. It's also not realistic. The actual turret had a kind of narrower tube section protruding down, presumably to the floor - a little like the one in B-25 Mitchell except the gunner was inside it (if you get what I mean). I sense another lengthy scrounge through the spares boxes coming on. I have 5 x 1/48 scale spares boxes now and one 1/32 scale one.
See you soon
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 6 years 2 weeks ago #60

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
Your welcome to use my signature anytime Wally - just so long as you name the first born of your village Dads Army :lol: :lol: :lol:
No seriously, tha'ts looking pretty rough mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wiping my eyes now, serious face on :huh:

Looking real good Wally, great effort on the aerials - that's dedication right there. Another awesome paint job - I'm really impressed with the Dullcote, might get some to try in the future.
Looking forward to seeing those window masks off and sitting on her wheels - keep it up mate :-)

"Rough as Guts Production's"
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee