Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #1

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360

A change of plan for my 2nd Pacific GB build. I decided to defy my own precarious economic situation, face my fears of multi-media kits and build my valuable Classic Airframes Hudson Mk III (et al) as a WW2 RNZAF example, the individual subject yet to be chosen. I may never build one otherwise. I may never be able to afford one again for one thing, the prices they go for on eBay (+ shipping!). Here's some sprue shots -

- and it really is short-run - no locating pins & holes here - nothing at all to locate the wings to the fuselage except the wing inner edges onto flat plastic - multi-media, including 2 nice bags of resin for cockpit, turret and engines .... scary stuff!
I'm no Bruce Salmon (I hope everyone saw his amazing Hudson at Rukuhuia build at hyperscale.com/2013/features/hudson48bs_1.htm ) so I'm building it basically OOB with a little rudimentary (and none-to-realistic) scratch building, Montex Mini Masks - which include interior & exterior masks [thank goodness] - Eduard seat belts and possibly resin wheels (if I can find enough reason and dosh to order thirty quid's worth of stuff from Hannants). Thank goodness the kitset has injected clear parts -

Whatever my subject aircraft I already know it will wear 'oxidized' NZ Matt Blue roundels (as seen & described in 'Pacific Twins') and these can only be provided by our very own Ventura decals. 1/48 Kittyhawk wing roundels and 1/48 SBD-4 Dauntless fuselage roundels with the white bars removed -

I'm really looking forward to using these in a situation where there is clear and sufficient evidence [enough for me anyhow] of the roundels being 'lighter'.
Suitable sized Colorado decals Gray Code Letters are on the way from the USA. My aircraft will be an SJ, YH or UH coded one, hopefully one that hasn't been done before if I can find suitable reference material. If you know of any, let me know?
Session one last night involved several tedious hours of cutting blocks off of the resin parts - some more like slicing large pieces in half - but in the end I was pleasantly surprised how much I got done. I essentially got the cockpit assembled ready for painting -

- and some scratch built detail fitted to the lower nose. I've also substituted some Revell PV-1 Ventura parts (in grey) for CA resin bits which seemed over simple or just too brittle (like the seat back)

I'll be adding some more framing structure to the nose-cone parts that might be visible but it won't be as realistic as Bruce's.
If I am permitted to do so and time allows I may yet have a 3rd GB entry for my SeaBees idea.
Cheers
Wally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: spacing

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #2

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
Hi Wally - Quite ironic to see this tonight, as I've just got back from Wigram. Unfortunately I only got two dodgy snaps of the Hudson.................but, I will be going back up in the next fortnight so if there is anything in particular you'd like a photo of, I will do my best to oblige. The quality is poor as the lighting is pretty crap in the main exhibit room. They will be improving things in time.

Bruce has done a cracker job on the Rukuhia Hudson alright!!

I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle this one :-)
Attachments:

"Rough as Guts Production's"

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #3

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Cool subject Wally. Look forward to seeing some more progress on this!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

Have a geez at my FlickR page
www.flickr.com/photos/65989117@N03/

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #4

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 516
I agree with Fritz

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #5

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks guys and DA, I would have said "Please get more interior shots" but I am pressing on with the interior regardless in true "Rough As Guts Productions" style. I find I cannot contain my scratch building tendencies so I have constructed some steps and a wireless ops/navigators compartment behind the pilot largely [and loosely] based on MPM's 1/72 Hudson interior detail and using whatever bits I have in spares -

Revell PV-1 Ventura will provide another seat and, thanks to your photo DA, the Revell bombadier's seat seems much more accurate than the CA resin one.
I think I can paint this up so it looks acceptably 'realistic' ...?
Long way to go on this Hudson. All the panel lines are too fine for my liking so I will also have to learn some more of the finer points of re-scribing.
Can anyone recommend a single, affordable, easily obtainable scribing tool?
Cheers
Wally.
Attachments:

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #6

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Tamiya make one. Readily available at all good model stores

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #7

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Yea tamiya's is pretty good. i also use one of those circle drawing compass things that has the needle bit at the end.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

Have a geez at my FlickR page
www.flickr.com/photos/65989117@N03/

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #8

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Yes, I have done scribing with a sharp pin but I'm hoping to find something that more sort of "excavates" out a panel line ... if you get what I mean.
The pin I use often leaves a raised edge and doesn't take out quite enough material from inside the groove. Other times it can go too deep. (All that might be technique of course)
I'll look into the Tamiya one
Thanks guys, Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #9

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
you're welcome

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #10

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 923
I can recommend the Hasegawa scribing tool, it's slightly smaller than the Tamiya one and gets in to hard places like the wing roots a bit easier.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #11

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 426
I've heard good things about the hasegawa one too but it is probably pretty hard to get locally. Most of the model shops I have been to lately have the tamiya one in stock. Plus, if you guys haven't noticed, it usually has spare blades inside the handle too.
It's pretty much foolproof if you are careful and use something like dymo tape as a guide until you become handy with it. If you aren't careful then you have extra trenches to fill, don't ask me how I know....

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #12

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 923
Yeah I use the Dymo tape as well, I buy the cheap stuff from the warehouse, 3 rolls for something cheap. I prefer the thicker type than the thin one that comes with the black backing in the cartridge. I even cut it in half to get twice the amount out of a roll, that and it makes it a bit more flexible.
I have several scribers, here they are in personal preference order.
RB Models, it's an etched scriber that you almost assemble yourself and it goes in to a normal x-acto type handle.
Hasegawa with the black handle, thinner than the Tamiya tool but doesn't allow for blade changes
Hasegawa pin scriber it's like a sharpened piece of bar that's very sharp but again doesn't allow for blade changes
Tamiya scriber, has spare blades that are easily changed, scribes a slightly thicker line than the others but easier to use and therefore good for beginners I reckon.
I have a couple of others but these are the main stream ones that I use.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons
Last Edit: by Gary.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #13

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers guys and thanks for the tip about the Dymo tape, without which I would have just continued with a plastic ruler that has been less than accurate at times.
The only visitor to Kohukohu yesterday was this chap, "Happy Fins", who maybe needed a rest and a bask in the sun after a long swim from somewhere -

The whole entire school came down to see him and most grown ups too and our policeman, who said he would have just picked "Happy" up and tossed him back in the harbour had he not phoned DoC first and been advised not to. Seals can seriously bite apparently.
And I got some more structure and radio equipment built into the lower nose of CA Hudson and started on the structure and detail of upper nose-cone.

I always have plenty of patience at this stage of building, though I tend to rush later on towards the end. Can't wait to start painting the interior although having done this structure I will now add some to the cockpit sidewalls etc as well. So much for OOB!
Cheers
Wally.
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #14

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
That looks quite tricky in there, with all those windows that will show off the interior. Looking good though Wally ;-)

That seal looks plum tuckered out - a it light on it too!!
It would have been a rough week at sea up your way also?

"Rough as Guts Production's"

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #15

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Scratch building to me is like Vampirism ... once bitten and you are eternally hooked
Having started on this road I decided to download some Hudson interior shots and scratch build a semblance of the interior framing.
Took me a while to work out how to stretch sprue in a way vaguely reminiscent of square section.
It cannot be as deep (in scale) as the real thing, so it's more representative than real ... and kind of untidy looking at present ...

and the final version (yet unpainted) of the nose cone halves -

Painting should begin tonight .... yay!
Wally
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #16

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
That's looking awesome Wally, the scratchbuilt fuse interior came out looking bloody good.

- Gaz

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #17

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Thumbs up Wally :)

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #18

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks guys. I got most of the cockpit and fuselage interior painted last night using Humbrol 224 and fades down to almost straight white plus some Silver scuffing -

A combination of my hurrying the blending and residual glue from scratch building has resulted in a bit of 'fuzz' on some surfaces at really close inspection of especially the nose cone but I have achieved the kind of contrast I wanted -

Even with my new reading glasses I'm not sure I can do individual instrument dials on the IP. Not sure what to do about that?

Light still shows through some parts of the clear nose cones but they will be getting an external coat of interior green as well.
I'm really enjoying this build with its scratch building challenges so far ...

Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: add 2 pics

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #19

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Looking good Wally.

- Gaz

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #20

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Enjoying this Wally :)

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #21

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Got the seatbelts on or painted. Used spares from RAF in WW2 for the pilot's harness & IJA lap belts with USAAF/USN chaffing pads, painted Tamiya Buff.
The instrument panel and pilot's seat were both an incredible mission to size and fit, perhaps because my initial floor fitting isn't ideal. Lost a couple of upper dials on the IP filing it down - it was too high and too wide. The seat likewise too high and needing to lean forward so the half-wall behind will fit. There is still some resin dust floating around in these pictures which will be carefully removed.
A few details - charts, instruments and a binocular case (with headphones to come) - on the navigator's desk, with some drawers underneath. It's not realistic, no 1/48 scale airman could sit in the seat and get their legs under the drawers. Fun though ...

I move to other things now until my Tamiya Scriber arrives so I can do the scribing while parts like fuselage and wings are in halves. Work on the resin engines I guess or start on Academy 1/72 PBY-5 ...?
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #22

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Very nice work Wally as always...looking real good.
I see what you mean about the nav desk/chair space...maybe the nav sat side saddle eh?
Like to see the PBY too

d2

Update In Stash:

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #23

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I installed the seat and bombadier's table and a Norton bombsite (from Italeri A-20B Boston) in the lower nose-cone. I couldn't resist some more scratch built charts, satchel, bombadier's algerhythms (sic) hand-book [or some such] and ruler etc on the table. I'm a bit naughty really because none of this is properly researched. It's largely based on the kitset parts -

Naturally, the Montex masks are now on the outside.
I've also done some work on the turret and resin engines, which are quite nicely detailed (I added basic ignition harness) but seem kind of 'gritty' ...?

I've purchased a Tamiya scriber on Trademe and dead keen to proceed with this build, although meantime another 'scratch builder's dream project' has come my way - see my Revell 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair RNZAF build .... (which could also be PTO CBI GB I guess?)
Gary, can I send you another ten bucks for 2 more entries?
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #24

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Spent a lot of time last night achieving very little on this build. I first had to determine "Do I want to scribe the panel lines deeper?" and yes I do, so this precludes any significant fuselage, wing, cowling or nacelle construction as I want to scribe them in their halves.
So I turned to the resin machine gun mount, guns and radio boxes (presumably) in the turret. After much deliberation on the question "How does one attach resin to a clear part which Superglue will craze?" I decided to try the radio boxes using Revell Contacta (mixed with Tamiya cement as it happens) as an experiment because they mount around to the left in the lower turret half away from any defined windows. The resin held to the clear, so, once again after much consideration of final location, having mounted the resin guns to their mounting plate using Superglue, I mounted them 'high' so the plate was above the lower turret windows. The plate wants to mount right across the middle of these lower windows but, no matter what glue I use, this is simply a "no no". Having mounted them high I then had to file out the channels in the upper turret to accept the gun barrels. It seemed to me the only way to resolve this "short run resin detail very basic illustrative instructions only" dilemma. It looks okay, I guess, except the filed out channels are a bit wider than the original holes .... What a mission!!!

I left the masks on because the black framing will require at least one more coat of paint, having had 2 already.
Cheers,
Wally.
Attachments:

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #25

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
With the arrival of Tamiya Scribing tool I am back to the Hudson build for a while.
Well, the scribing tool is wonderful and yes, yous (especially Gary) did warn me to get some Dymo tape .... which of course I didn't, thinking, "I'm only going over existing panel lines". I learned the hard way in a couple of spots - notably one tailplane panel line which has a bit of a kink in it - one slip and you're kinda stuffed. Bit dumb to practice on a kitset as expensive as CA's Hudson too. Call me a fool .... DO ... go right ahead! I am one at times.
I think I got the hang of it fairly quickly though. Some of the existing lines on Hudson are so shallow or un-formed as to first need cutting with a knife blade and then pre-scribing with a pin head, mostly in conjunction with my plastic ruler. Then I went forward, pushing the scriber blade up the line before drawing it back, dead slow, to start actually scribing per se -

I scribed everything in their halves first but the tool is going to be especially useful for scribing panel lines that cross the halves of fuselages, wings etc, which I have always struggled with. How did I ever manage without one? The panel lines are much more defined now, though not as deep as, for instance, Revell's PV-1 Ventura, and should suit my style of ink or pencil "wash".
I glued the wings together and prepared for cementing the fuselage halves by first installing the windows. This is scary due to the possibility of glue getting on them and a couple got ever-so-slightly blemished but they generally fit really well -

I then applied Montex paint masks and went about repeated test fittings and minor adjustments before assembly -

Even then I must say the front bulkhead fit is a long way from perfect. I had it better at test fitting but it wouldn't close properly on final assembly. [Ain't it the way sometimes!?] The alignment of the fuselage halves is not that great either, I foresee a fair bit of scraping, sanding, filling and more sanding.
The scriber worked well on the nose-cone halves too, they being clear parts with just a couple of panel lines each. I assembled the nose halves too -

And began work on the undercarriage. There is heaps of flash on these parts requiring lengthy clean up but they are well molded, have nice solid locating pins, the resin scissor springs (or whatever they are) parts are nicely done and I added brake lines -

I'll also be adding something ... locators of some kind ... to the wing roots because the kitset provides no guidance whatsoever except angled edges and a picture of the dihedral angle in the instructions. This is how the kitset comes OOB -

Reading other builds online they often mention creating their own locators or pillars using flat card. Certainly something has to be done ...
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #26

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Putting the wings on will sort the men out from the boys!

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #27

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

eyepaule wrote: Putting the wings on will sort the men out from the boys!

No pressure by the way B)

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #28

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Indeed it will! I'll have to curb my natural tendency to hurry.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #29

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
No worries for you. You're a machine Wally ;)

Last Edit: by eyepaule.

Wally's 2nd Pacific GB Entry - 1/48 RNZAF Lockheed Hudson 5 years 11 months ago #30

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Looking great there Wally! Very interested to see how you get the wings on- got my notepad in hand ready to take pointers :)

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee