Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #1 by Taylor
2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED was created by Taylor
Since the Helldiver build has been shelved, I have gone for a different choice for my second entry into the Pacific GB.

Hasegawa 1:48 P-40N Warhawk. I recently bought two of Brett Green's books on Airbushing and Finishing Scale Models aswell as Aircraft Modelling. Brett is a very accomplished modeller and there are a few tricks in his notes that I wouldn't mind trying. He seems to like a wash made of Flat Black and Red Brownwhich he uses quite extensively throughout the two books. It is very effective and whilst I have been using oil washes of late, which is really like, I would like to try this other method to compliment my weathering washhes.

So here goes!
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Taylor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #2 by Dads Army
Replied by Dads Army on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
Nice one Andrew - looking forward to watching!!

"Rough as Guts Production's"

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #3 by Taylor
Replied by Taylor on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
First bit of progress on the Warhawk.

Dressed up the cockpit and assembled the engine intake parts. I scratched up some seat belts using Tamiya tape and some 8amp fuse wire. Not sure how accurate it is but it certainly busies up the otherwise blank looking seat. I applied a wash of 50/50 flat black and red brown just to dirty up everything a little. I may have overdone it in areas but according to the methods I have read, overdoing it in a dark cockpit means it is more likely to stand out when the fuselage is closed up. I'm pretty happy with it anyway.
The instrument panel was brush painted flat black followed by a medium grey dry brushing. I then used Flory Models light dirt weathering wash to highlight the gauges and then a red and yellow was used to pick out certain details. Viola!!!!

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Taylor.

More
6 years 5 months ago #4 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
Looking good Taylor. I like your cockpit colour, IP and wash. Not so sure about the scratch built seatbelts. Very game of you but I can't really see them clearly enough.
At 1/48 scale I reckon "what you can clearly see" is a very real consideration though and once installed in the fuselage they will probably look just fine.
Are you using the kitset decals or some aftermarket ones?
I'll be watching intently for how you handle what I call "that darned fuselage join". I have probably made way too much of it in my various builds but I would seriously advise you to consider doing the (lengthwise) join on each fuselage half before assembling the fuselage halves. I have seen this recommended by other modellers too.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #5 by Taylor
Hi Wally.
I will be using the kit decals for Geronimo which served in the south pacific. They are brand new decals that Hasegawa have printed on their newer medium of backing and there is no yellowing and they appear very thin. My usual method of giving a good soakign with Micro Set/Sol should sort them out no problem.
I have assembled the fuselage and wings (pictures to follow) and I first assembled the two main fuselage parts to close up the cockpit. I then assembled the two rear tail sections and then installed them onto the main fuselage. The join isn't too bad and with a light smear of Mr Surfacer, it should be spot on. Finally the wing assembly was installed and that too didn't put up a fight. I've already lightly sanded the joints and very little filler will be needed on this kit. It has very much a Tamiya feel about it with regard to its fit however the only thing I did do, was to strap the wings up to pull the wings up to mate to the top fuselage sides just a fraction.
As for the seat belts, although I paid a rock bottom price for the kit, I didn't fancy splashing out on some PE just for the sake of installing seat belts and the kit cockpit is percectly fine for what you can see once it is closed up. It's that whole illusion thing I guess about giving representation that something is there.

More
6 years 5 months ago #6 by Wally
Cool. I really must look into this Mr Surfacer stuff, the name comes up so often.
"Geronimo" is an interesting camo scheme. US Tan uppers I think the colour is?
I look forward to seeing more pictures and following your build.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #7 by Taylor
Quick update.
This Hasegawa Warhawk is a dream to put together. The fuselage and wing joints are beautiful. Here's some pics after all the joints have been buffed up with a polishing stick and some Micro Mesh. I was concerned about how the joint between the lower wing assembly and the rear fuselage would come out but it actually looks pretty darn good without any major help. The only three areas that need some extra persuation is the joint above the engine, top of the rear spine and around the gun muzzles.

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Taylor.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #8 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
Looking good Taylor B) I like P-40's. Doing some nice fast progress there! I'm still on the cockpit on my build :pinch:

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Fritz.

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #9 by Taylor
It looks fast now Fritz but I recon the painting and weathering is going to slow me down on this one. I have the look in my head somewhere and I vision it be quite warn with long exhaust streaking down the side with some heavy quardite streaks coming from the gun gas vents. It's gonna be one of those that the slightest bit over done is going to stick out like a sore thumb!!! Thankfully, the two books I recently bought about pro-modelling is going to teach me a few things.
Thanks for the comment.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 5 months ago #10 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
Looking good Taylor...like the extra bit of wearing around the cockpit area...I too like the P40, look forward to seeing more updates, especially painting and weathering.

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11 by Taylor
Another Update on the Warhawk.
Post fuselage assembly I am trying something to aid in the presentation of the paint finish. Not sure if anyone already does this but here is what I have done.
Once all seem lines were checked for finish and I was happy to start paint pre, I took some Micro Mesh polishing cloth and keyed the plastic all over just to lightly rough it up a little bit. I am working on the theory that all types of paint need something to grip hold of, even primer. I also used a polishing stick also. Once this was finished, only then did I begin to spray primer onto the model. I used my normal method of using a Tamiya Grey acrylic for primer which even thinned I find a little rough in the finish. I buffed the primer back slightly again using a polishing stick. Hopefully this is going to make the final colours look a lot smoother.
I had to fill a couple niggly seam lines with some Mr Surfacer but no big deal. I then preshaded with some flat black and hey presto!! I finally began to spray the colour scheme which for my model is a tan and light blue scheme which consisted of Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan and XF-23 Light Blue. Both colour were thinned appropriately with the addition of Tamiya Acrylic paint retarder to slow down the drying time of the paint. The paint is still a little more rough than I would have liked but much better than previous models I have made. This will get taken care of with a little light buffing and gloss/satin coats and weathering.
Here's some photos with a couple of sub-assemblies already painted also: (I wonder who will be the first one to point out the school boy error finger print in the paint? :ohmy:

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #12 by Wally
The painting looks really good Taylor.
I would just check your references or the instructions regards P-40N, since the kitset is designed for numerous variants.
I'm only going from memory but I think the indented channels behind the rear exhausts should be filled.
And so I think should the fuselage 'lights' or clear-part holes under the canopy windshield.
The kitset provides parts in both cases.
I notice many builds online have just left these things including this one which shows the constructed model as per yours followed by a reference photo where clearly the portside exhaust channel is not evident.
www.hyperscale.com/2011/galleries/p40ngeronimo48th.htm
It may be too late and/or you may not care? I understand both feelings if either or both is the case.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wally. Reason: add link

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #13 by Taylor
Hi Wally, thanks for the input.
To be honest I don't know much about WWII aircraft other than they look good and are different to my usual grey fighter jets.
I couldn't really tell from the link you posted whether or not "Geronimo" had those channels filled in or not so I check out photos of other P-40Ns and here is what I came up with:
richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Aircraft/Fi...ps/P40nOverChino.jpg
www.warbird-photos.com/gallery.php?AirtoAir=2008-05-07

The pictures in both links clearly show the channels being there but I think the ones represented in the Hasegawa kit may be a tad too long and too deep. As for the fuselage lights, there is a clear plug yet to go into the whole on my model to fill it in. There are a few touch ups I want to make anyway so once the plug goes in, I can sand it down and while touching up a few areas, I can take care of it at the same time.

More
6 years 3 months ago #14 by jimmy07
Replied by jimmy07 on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
Lookin good mate! I'm trying to tackle this kit too, albeit at a much slower rate than yours... (I started mine 4years ago!)

Can't wait to see some more.

Jim :)

More
6 years 3 months ago #15 by Wally
Taylor
You've been selective with your examples but it certainly appears that both channeled and channel-less are correct, based on my search of P-40N Warhawk images.
nz.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images...all&va=p-40n+warhawk
As with the early N variants having the M canopy, I suspect manufacturing P-40s was a bit of a 'mix-and-match' process with some parts.
This is almost certainly the case with modern Warbirds, the question being, "Where exactly did that panel come from on that aircraft".
Go for it mate. Your painting is exquisite and I look forward to seeing more progress on your aircraft.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #16 by Taylor
All dressed up and nowhere to go...yet!!!

All decals applied to my P-40 Warhawk. Just need to apply a coat of Klear to seal the decals and the fun part of weathering can begin. The decals went on really well and conformed nicely to the panel lines once I had sliced them with a blade.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #17 by Kiwimav
Looking good Taylor...

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #18 by Wally
Jees, I seem to be doing this alot lately and I don't want to become one of those annoying picky modelling forum fellows ...
Conversely, I don't want to be afraid to comment or ask questions.
So, I can barely (if at all) tell the difference between the upper and lower colours. I thought the uppers were USAAF Tan and the lowers US Sky or Sky Blue? The grey-ness of your colours doesn't look right to me. What did you use? (Apologies if I've missed that earlier in the thread)
Once again it could be a lighting and camera thing? Or perhaps you mean the Tan to be really bleached out?
I agree it looks very good regardless. You are a truly competent painter.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wally. Reason: add ?

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #19 by Kiwimav
It looks to me that the Upper Surfaces are aluminum/silver gray and darker blue/gray lower surfaces...to my eyes that is
but according to Taylor's previous post Tamiya Deck Tan and Tamiya Light Blue were used
must be the extra buffing, clear coats more buffing and lighting
maybe?

still a nice build tho Taylor...me like a lot

d2

Update In Stash:

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #20 by Taylor
Ooohhh I like this...proper questions and enquiries about my painting technique.

Wally, Kiwimav: Yes a described I did use Tamiya XF55 Deck Tan and Tamiya XF23 Light Blue. However what I have done is nothing special or out of the ordinary. After I applied and buffed out the primer coat which was a simple grey colour, I went quite heavy with the black preshading as I want a well weathered grimy finish. I the applied the light blue but just in light coats just enough for the black preshading to disappear but then slowly return with the drying of the paint. The same method was used with the Deck Tan however this time, I bleached out the individual panels by adding a drop or two of white and blending it together with a light dusting of the lightened colour.
The photos probably don't do anything for it as I did use flash which was probably wrong to do. When the model is finished I will be taking some proper pictures with my new Canon DSLR for the final reveal.
Photos to follow of some weathering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwimav

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #21 by Taylor
Well here she is all finished. Really enjoyed building this kit and it went together really easy with no major dramas. I had read a few things floating around on the net regarding the join between the tail section and the main fuselage. To be honest, I didn't see what all the fuss is about.
By weathering techniques were as follows (nothing special really!):
Primer coat buffed to a smooth finish followed by panel line preshading with Tamiya XF-1 Black
Main colours applied followed by two coats of Klear gloss
Decals applied then sliced along panel lines to allow then to conform
Coat of Klear gloss followed by a panel line wash of Windsor & Newton oil paints usng a 50/50 diluted mix of Lamp Black and Raw Umber
AK Interactive Engine Oil wash to pick out some details
Tamiya Weathering Master Sets for general weathering and chordite marks from the guns
Tamiya X-19 Smoke and XF-1 Black for the engine exhaust staining

Happy to answer any questions:

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 3 months ago #22 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
That came out looking top notch there Andrew. Shading etc looks spot on. One little thing I noticed in the very last shot. The catridge ejection holes in the lower wing look a little weird not looking like a hole as such. Maybe a careful drop of matt black might give the illusion that it is a hole as opposed to a recess. Up to you but as I say, it's only a minor that doesn't detract from the rest of the kit.
Good work!

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #23 by Kiwimav
very nice build Andrew...the finished rendition looks bloody great...well done!

d2

Update In Stash:

More
6 years 3 months ago #24 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
Yeh, nice build, like it!
Never seen a P40 in this scheme before.
Great work.
Grant

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #25 by Taylor
Thanks guys. It was a pleasure to build and I have wanted to do this scheme after seeing Gary's P-39 Airacobra which has a similar scheme:

It is something different from the normal Drab and camo schemes.

Gaz - I like your thinking a about cartidge purge holes. It's a difficult one that because even if I had cut the holes out in the building stage, all you would see is the inside of the wing and nothing else. Dropping some black in the might be the only option. Thanks for the tip.
Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #26 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
Yours looks grey to me mate, I should've paid more attention at the club night, the panels lines didn't look as harsh as they do in your photos here.
Mine looks more tan than your photo shows, have you tried playing with the white balance on your camera? Get a sheet of A4 paper and wherever you want to take photos set it up take a picture of just the white and then set that as the custom white balance. Your colours will be more vibrant, alternatively use a 3rd part software tool to give you more contrast.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:

• Taylor
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #27 by Taylor
Thats obviosuly what the problem is. I am still playing with my new camera.
The model is deffinately tan. Will have a play and post another set of pics.

More
6 years 3 months ago #28 by Wally
I am the principal (if not the world's one and only) complainant about the fuselage join and frankly I will need more evidence than I have seen so far to convince me it is "no fuss at all". So when you are re-shooting, take a real close up shot of that area of the fuselage on either side.
What I believe I detect in your first batch of completed photos is at least one skewed panel line and at least one interrupted panel line port-side. But it is hard to see and I may very well be wrong. (Also I am in no way criticizing your build)
I have similar issues on my completed Hasegawa P-40M's & N's. I expect each consecutive one to improve especially now I own a scribing tool.
Okay, so it's not a real BIGGY but some less experienced modeller's could find it quite difficult and possibly even be put off making it, given it requires both filling and re-scribing - and I certainly find it frustrating.
Ultimately what I am really saying is - I THINK we ought to expect better from a manufacturer the size of Hasegawa.
That said, I think your painting & weathering is excellent and I'm really looking forward to seeing your colour balanced finished shots.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 3 months ago #29 by eyepaule
Replied by eyepaule on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
That's a nice build you have there Andrew :)

More
6 years 3 months ago #30 by jimmy07
Replied by jimmy07 on topic 2ND PACIFIC GB ENTRY - COMPLETED
Sure is a good'n mate a very nice scheme! I used to live down Kittyhawk row once upon a time too!

Jim :)

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee