• Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Kinetic 1/48 F-16DG/DJ

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Kinetic 1/48 F-16DG/DJ 6 years 1 week ago #1

• CyNaKyL
  • CyNaKyL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 426
So i have a couple of options for this gb. I'd prefer to do my academy 1/48 f/a-22, problem with this one is i thought that it had the tail codes for the HIANG 19th or 199th FS, but as the kit was released in 2009 and Hawaii only got raptors in 2010, their markings are pretty much the only ones not on the sheet. What i was wondering is if anyone happens to have some low viz tail codes from when hawaii had the eagles that they could spare.
If not, then i have the kinetic 1/48 f-16dg/dj kit which has markings for the misawa, japan based squadron. Other option was the academy 1/48 ch53e but once again, it doesn't have markings for the marine squadrons based on hawaii. Buying decals isn't an option due to bubs being here. So unless someone has some HH tail codes spare, my build will most likely be the misawa 2 seat viper.
Cheers.

- Gaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last Edit: by CyNaKyL.

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 1 week ago #2

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
So I've decided to just go ahead and build the kinetic f-16dj for this gb and I've come across the first snag. I was splitting out and bagging the weapons and have just found that I got the wrong weapons decal sheet in the box. Instead of getting the sheet with the agm88 and all the ecm and sensor pods decals that is supposed to come with the dj, I received the weapons sheet from the f16d brakeet boxing. So half the weapons that come in the box I don't have decals for. I was wondering if anyone happened to know if there was an NZ distributor for Kinetic. If not, if anyone has some spare decals that they can part with, i would be keen on taking them off your hands. I will post up some pics of the kit etc later on tonight.

- Gaz

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 1 week ago #3

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 238
What's the final weapons loadout you want markings for? Pretty sure can cover most bases.

On The Bench
Tamiya 1/72 F-16C Barak conversion - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 ADF - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/48 F8U-2N (F-8D) Crusader conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D Mustang
Hasegawa 1/72 P-51D Mustang
Last Edit: by Craig Sargent. Reason: Lack of sobriety

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 1 week ago #4

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
I actually need the HARMS for my Hase F4G. Since I'm swiping those I was maybe thinking of having aim120 on each wingtip, aim9x on 2 and 9, gbu38 x2 on 3, tanks on the two inboard pylons, litening on 5r, alq134 or 184 centreline and maybe 2 gbu12s on 8. The decals for a couple of the ecm pods, the sniper pod and the harms are all missing. I was thinking of emailing kinetic themselves and asking for a replacement decal sheet, after all they can only say no, which means I am no worse off than I am now.

- Gaz

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 4 days ago #5

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Righty ho, first official update.

So far, all I've done is split the weapons out of the kit and bagged them up with the appropriate decals, so that if and when I need them for other kits, I have them handy with what scale, what they are and also what kit they came from.
Not including the drop tanks or the mk82 slicks, this pic is all the weapons and pods etc bagged up, 16 in total.

When I purchased this kit from Cardales in Albany, I originally wanted to get the Italeri boxing which had Greek decals (the greek vipers have the best camo scheme). But it wasn't available so the owner ordered me in this one instead. Not only was it slightly cheaper, but it came with the cockpit Colour PE fret as well as a bottle of normal tamiya glue (glue not pictured for obvious reasons).

I will probably get some assembly done tomorrow night if SWMBO goes to bed early and I stay up to do the 12am feed for bubs.
I'm thinking the loadout will be as listed in an earlier post, only other thing I'll need to sort out is apparently 500lb JDAM's are now carried on the BRU-57 VER instead of the standard F-16 TER (at least I think it's the JDAM's, either those or the 500lb GBU-12's, one of the two are). Apparently the Hasegawa 1/48 Legacy Hornets come with the Navy VER or CVER racks which in 1/48 are close enough to pass as the BRU-57 with some slight modification. If anyone has them spare and would be keen to part with them let me know.
More later....

- Gaz
Attachments:

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 4 days ago #6

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 238
I have got Hasegawa /48 Hornet VERs for Africa - never use them. How many do you want?!

On The Bench
Tamiya 1/72 F-16C Barak conversion - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 ADF - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/48 F8U-2N (F-8D) Crusader conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D Mustang
Hasegawa 1/72 P-51D Mustang

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Kinetic 1/48 F-16DG/DJ 6 years 4 days ago #7

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
I've got a few vipers so I might grab 7-8 if you can spare them.... Thanks Craig, I figured if anyone would have spares, it would be you. I'll be in touch regarding pick up... Thanks!

- Gaz

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Kinetic 1/48 F-16DG/DJ 6 years 3 days ago #8

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Choice Gaz! Looking forward to seeing this done! I have the Italeri boxing with the greek markings. Funnily enough I got it from Cardales in Albany a while ago. If you want the greek markings your more than welcome to them. I will probably never use them.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

Have a geez at my FlickR page
www.flickr.com/photos/65989117@N03/

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 3 days ago #9

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
I no speaka de jet language, HARMS, TERS, JDAMS, VERS and the like, but it looks like a wickedly detailed build is coming our way.
That is a s***load of weaponry.
Neat! I look forward to watching it grow.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 3 days ago #10

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Fritz, you probably got the one I was planning on buying originally... I might take you up on the offer of the greek markings, I will let you know.

Wally, yeah, it can be a bit confusing with all the acronyms (the US military seems to have a fascination with them).

HARM = High-speed Anti Radiation Missile
TER = Triple Ejector Rack
JDAM = Joint Direct Attack Munition (and you can also have LJDAM which is Laser Joint Direct Attack Munition)
VER = Vertical Ejector Rack
CVER = Canted Vertical Ejector Rack.

Here's a pic that is pretty much how I'm gonna load it up...

Except I'll replace the Sniper with a LITENING pod, have an ALQ-184 on the centre line and put 'winders on stations 2 and 9.
All the combat loads I've seen are on CJ's not DJ's (C is a single seater and D is twin seater) but the capabilities are exactly the same so I'm gonna claim artistic license. I'm sure it has been done at some point before.
Incidentally, the Block 50 jets from Misawa were the first ones deployed in Operation Iraqi Freedom, until that point, all the other vipers that had been deployed were Block30's and 40/42's...

I'm gonna split out the weapons from the Italeri rebox of the Kinetic F-16C Barak sometime over the next couple of days as it has most of the same weapons sprues, with the exception of a SPICE bomb and Python 4's, which will stay with the Barak.

- Gaz
- Gaz
Attachments:

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 3 days ago #11

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Cool as let me know. :)

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

Have a geez at my FlickR page
www.flickr.com/photos/65989117@N03/

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 3 days ago #12

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
Looking forward to this G2 - when I grow up and start building jets, the F-16 will be on the list :cheer:

"Rough as Guts Production's"

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Kinetic 1/48 F-16DG/DJ 6 years 3 days ago #13

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Another small update, glued the front and rear upper fuselage pieces together, supposedly this join is a bit of a mother to get joined cleanly (according to builds I have read) but I think I managed it fine, thanks to good ol' Gary Glue aka KM Weld.

No filling or anything needed, I may run a little tamiya extra thin along the edges just to blend it a bit better.

I also found that the italeri boxing I have of the F-16C Barak has a sniper pod in it (which isn't supposed to be in the box, it also has 2 SPICE bombs instead of 1 which is also a bonus) so I may end up putting the SNIPER XR pod on instead of the LITENING pod. We'll see.

- Gaz
Attachments:

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 2 days ago #14

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 516
Nice

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 6 years 11 hours ago #15

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Another small update. Put the inner sidewalls in the rear cockpit, fitted the front part of the gun opening and added a small panel to the starboard outside of the cockpit. Also put on the rear bulkhead and fairing aft of the cockpit and the bird slicers in front of the cockpit. The gun opening and right hand side panel didn't fit particularly well, I'm not sure if i'll use filler to try and blend it in as I may end up losing too much detail if I do. For the right hand panel, I may see how it looks once it has paint on it, and if I need to, fix it then.

Might get a bit more done tonight.

- Gaz

Edit: I just noticed I forgot to put the logo in the pics, will endeavour to do so from now on :blush:
Attachments:

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 5 years 11 months ago #16

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Nice one Garry.
Tiger

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 5 years 11 months ago #17

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
So after emailing kinetic to ask for the correct weapons decal sheet and thinking I wasn't going to hear back from them, I got an email last night from someone at kinetic. They apologised for having the wrong sheet in the box and asked for my mailing address so they can send out the right one at no cost to me. So big thumbs up Kinetic, keep up the excellent customer service.

- Gaz

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 5 years 11 months ago #18

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
I have one of these kits in my stash. I had better check what decals I have in the box.

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 5 years 11 months ago #19

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
If it's the twin seater like this one, check the weapons sheet for the HARM and sniper xr pod decals. If it has those then you are good, if not, you've got the same problem as me in having the sheet from the f16d brakeet.

- Gaz

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 5 years 11 months ago #20

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Damn it Gaz, you've scuppered me!!!!!! Thanks for pointing that out. It is the exact same boxing I have and sure enough the decals sheet does not have the AGM-88 or Sniper pod decals. It's got everything else but not those.

I will get onto Kinetic straight away for that one.

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 5 years 11 months ago #21

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Good that you found it now instead of when you start building it. All the reviews etc that I've seen have the correct decal sheet but the fact that yours has the wrong sheet too makes me think they may have mucked up a whole batch of them. It took them about a week and a half for them to get back to me so don't be surprised if you haven't heard anything back after a week or so. Put your address in the email as well to save them having to ask you for it.

- Gaz

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 5 years 11 months ago #22

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here is the weapon decals I found in my kit when I checked which are included in the F-16I SUFA kit:

Here is what should be in the F-16DG/DJ kit:

I found these images on LuckyModel.com and there is another image of some "Triple Nickel" green tail flashes that should also be included.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by Taylor.

Gary (G2) - Pacific GB - Not sure yet (will update later) 5 years 11 months ago #23

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Yep, that's exactly right. The israeli d and I both use the same weapons sheet but the dg/dj has that other one. I did have the triple nickel fin decals in my boxing, they were just floating around on their own in the bottom of the box. If it doesn't seem to be in yours pull everything out and check it hasn't made it's way in under the flaps.

- Gaz

• Page:
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee