TOPIC: Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 2 weeks ago #1

• Taylor
  • Taylor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Here we go...!
My two builds consist of the Airfix 1:72 Curtiss SB2C Helldiver which I am building straight out of the box, maybe with a little scratch building in areas just to detail it up a bit. It is an old kit but something I quite like the look off. The scheme will be the usual two tone blue with white and the aircraft served onboard USS Essex in April of 1945. I have verified this information by checking the operational history of the squadron which is VB-83.
My second build is the 1:48 Academy F-14A Bombcat which will be fitted out with an Eduard PE set plus some paint masks. The aircraft scheme will be of VF-154 Black Knights based at NAF Atsugi (Naval Air Facility) in Japan on its final flight back to NAS Lemoore before being decomissioned. The F-14A was used by the Knights at Atsugi of Carrier Air Wing 5 from 1991 to 2003.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 2 weeks ago #2

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Nice, i look forward to watching these two come alive :)
Grant
ps. another tidy bench in the back ground...

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 2 weeks ago #3

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Grant.
I have a habit of starting all my builds with a tidy bench but then it gradually gets worse the more tools I pull out or paint jars that come out!!!

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 2 weeks ago #4

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225

grunzter wrote: Nice, i look forward to watching these two come alive :)
Grant
ps. another tidy bench in the back ground...

Yeah Andrew, how on earth can you stand all that tidiness? :whistle:

SB2C. "The Beast" as it was called by those who flew it, or "The Pig" according to first hand commentaries I'm currently reading. Parts regularly failed, whilst in the air, underpowered, poor manouverability, and bombs regularly did not release from thier racks during an operation only to do so on landing back on their carrier deck. There were more losses to man and machine from mechanical failure than combat, apparently. Many were ordered pushed off the ship by Air Wing and often ships Commanders.

Sorry mate - just a wee bit of historical context thrown out there. :whistle: :lol:

I do look forward to your builds though B)

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last Edit: by 1/35th Battalion.

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 2 weeks ago #5

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks David. Nice bit of history there which is always good to know with any subject. I can understand know why it's called the Helldiver...cos it was a hellish plane to operate!!!

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 2 weeks ago #6

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Right down to business and getting started on the Helldiver.
First task is to add a little detail in the otherwise blank interior of the fuselage. I've scratched some frame work inside the cockpit and also started some frame work in the wheel wells. I've yet to add some piping or looming throught the wheel bays so that will come soon.

I have also removed all the dive brakes, flaps and elevators.

Here's a perfect indication as to the age of this kit: :ohmy:
Attachments:

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 week ago #7

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
Looks like a classic Airfix kit Andrew !! Are you going to have the wings folded?
Looking forward to watching your builds :-)

"Rough as Guts Production's"

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 week ago #8

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I haven't decided yet whether to have the wings folded. Looking at pictures of the Helldivers wingfold, it would require a lot of more work than what I am already doing. But I suppose that extra work would be worth it given that I am already doing extra stuff in the cockpit and wheel bays.

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 week ago #9

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
In my aim of trying to be a bit of a smart ass, I tried to drill all the tiny holes for the dive brakes on my Helldiver after i had removed them from the wing parts. In doing so I have stuffed them right up!!! :(
I thought of making my own with sheet styrene but the thought of marking out all those holes make me squirm!! Therefore I have resorted to ordering some PE dive brakes, so for the mean time my Helldiver is shelved and out comes the Big cat!!!

Last Edit: by Taylor.

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 week ago #10

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Here's a perfect indication as to the age of this kit: :ohmy:
[/quote]

They probably made their money back on that one..

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 week ago #11

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 516
damn...that ol girl the same age as the one i'm married too...lol :ohmy: :whistle:

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 week ago #12

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It's too old for me even!! I've shelved this one and am going with something else. I've made a very small start on my Academy Tomcat (photos to follow shortly) but there's bound to be some serious builds come out of this GB so I'm going with something a more purposeful.

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 6 days ago #13

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
look forward to seeing the f14...beautiful big cat, one of my all time fav's. had the pleasure not so long ago to get up close and personal with a air wing, on the deck of the USS Constellation (Connie) just before she was decommissioned in favor of the new nuclear powered super carriers. was a truly awesome.

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 day ago #14

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok so here we go with a bit of progress on my Academy 1:48 F-14A Tomcat.

First order of the day is to do some minor surgery to the fuselage and wings. The Tomcat unlike some other swing wing fighters had an inflatable fairing bag just behind the wings in order to create a more aerodynamic shape when the wings were swept forward and to also seal the internal area of the fuselage.

The top fuselage section on this Academy kit has what is supposed to be the inflatable bags, in the permanently deflated position which normally allow the modeller to choose which position the wings can be in. As I am building this kit for a point in time, I have had to remove these areas and replace them with some parts from a Hasegawa Tomcat. It was a simple case of a few slices with a blade and they can right out. I needed then to add something for the edges of the new donor parts to sit on so I added a small strip of styrene to allow for alignment. With a few cuts from the old parts and a bit of glue, the new inflated bags were created. Just a little bit of filling or shimming may be requried later on.

The second issue to deal with is the wings. In true toy like style, Academy have moulded the wings with the mechanism to synchronise the movement of the wings when they are moved. The location hole and mount for the wing pivot is quite beefy and doesn't allow for much movement once the fuselage and wings are assembled. I sliced off the synchornising mechanism and I also grinded out a slot in each of the lower wing sections which will allow me to slot the wings in later on once they are painted. I also assembled the bang seats which are not a bad representation of the GRU-7 seats and detail wise isn't a bad cockpit for what will be under canopy.

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 day ago #15

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 426
Looking good. I definitely need to get myself a 'cat at some point, most likely the Hobbyboss one, either an A as an iranian NSAWC bird, or a D loaded with Phoenix's etc. Always liked them loaded up with the big guns, even if it wasn't practical in every day flying...

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 1 day ago #16

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Gaz.
If you're going to get a cat, and you want to do an F-14A version, your best going with the Hasegawa kit because they come with PE and the instrument layout is pretty much spot on but then the Academy one I am working on is pretty good too when comparing it with reference photos. The Hobby Boss F-14A is a bit of a dog according some I have spoken to that have built it. It is inaccurate for the schemes that are included in the box and it represents a Block 1 cat and the schemes relate to Block two onwards.

If you want to do an F-14B or F-14D, the Hobby Boss kits are your best bet. Hasegawa have released B and D versions but the cockpits were not updated, nor do they come with all the Bombcat gear (bomb racks, LANTIRN pod, LANTIRN control stick, PTID Displays). I have both the HB B and D kits and they are now the bench mark for those two versions of the cat.

Andrew

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 11 hours ago #17

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cockpit and crew all dressed up. Neat little addition not found in many kits is the decals for the ejector seats and the VF-154 emblems for the back of the pilots helmets. They were a little tricky to set down given the awkward curves and bumps they have to sit over but a good dose of Micro Sol sorted them out.

Really happy with this cockpit and how well it goes together.

Attachments:

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 10 hours ago #18

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Like it. Nice!
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 9 hours ago #19

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Yeh, nice cockpit, and love the figures!
Grant

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 6 years 7 hours ago #20

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
very nice...indeed!

d2

Update In Stash:

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 5 years 11 months ago #21

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Great start, shame about the helldiver, glad its repairable and looking forward to seeing more done there too :-)
Tiger

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 5 years 11 months ago #22

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Tomcat update!!! Woohoo!!

Ok fuselage is together and the donar fairing airbags are fully installed. Cockpit is all nice a snug in there too with the nose bodged on. Academy have made provisions with the kit assemble the nose cone in the folded up position with a detailed radar assembly included but unfortunately I won't be using it as this is an inflight model but it could be handy to use on another cat.
When assmbling the foward fuselage section, I used CA glue to bond it all together and I have also used it as a filler. It works well but man it takes some sanding and will certainly take much polishing plus havign to rescribe all the panel lines lost. I knew this wasn't going to be a straight forward build!!

The only problem I see so far is that in the process of modifying the wings so that I can slot them in later, I have turned a dihedral wing into an anhedral wing. This means that the wings flop down instead of up or more neutral. Not sure how I am going to correct this. I could use a heat source to flex the wings or build up some internal structure around the fuselage pivot point to force the wing up. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be greatful to hear them.

Attachments:

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 5 years 11 months ago #23

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 426
If you've glued the fuse already then the only way I could see you doing it would be putting some extra styrene sheet on top of the wing tab to force it down. If not glued yet, put packing inside the fuselage. That's the only way I can think of to do it but I'm sure someone else may have a better idea.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 5 years 11 months ago #24

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1666
Really good looking cockpit.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 5 years 11 months ago #25

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
I can't offer any sensible suggestions about the wings. (I'd just glue them in place)
The build is coming along real nice. Not often I see pilots inside a cockpit who look that realistic and well done.
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 5 years 11 months ago #26

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The wings do actually sag a little from everything i've seen. Wings folded-can't tell, wings out flying-slight lift over level axis plane and stationary wings out-slight sag. Could be wrong however.

d2

Update In Stash:

Andrew's Pacific & CBI Builds 5 years 11 months ago #27

• Taylor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Your bang on there Kiwimav. In a high G turn the wings flex quite a bit but it normal straight and level flight they are fairly neutral in comparison to when it is on the ground. This picture illustrates the droop quite well(forget the fact it's an Iranian tomcat!!!! :sick: ):
www.airliners.net/photo/Iran---Air/Grumm...1c6ee10c6fb4ae773ef9

• Page:
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee