Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #31

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Thanks Jim, I have enough of these fellas now. What I really need are a couple of standing pilots for the Grumman Duck crew. I'd like to have one pilot waving at the Cat as it touches down. I think my best chance are a couple of standing Allied Pilots from the Hasegawa 1/72 Pilots set.
When I have an hour to spare I'll watch that video.
Many Thanks
Wally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimmy07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #32

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 426
A couple of xmas's ago, SWMBO got me the great planes boxed set with all of the episodes. Some very interesting watching there. Also quite funny seeing how many mistakes I find in each episode, like wrong variants, wrong weapons, even had one where it was about the f111 and they showed a picture of a tomcat flying along (the bit in the episode had nothing to do with the tomcat!). Still interesting seeing some of the old footage though, especially the ones about the ww2 aircraft, there is quite a bit of old colour film in the episodes.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #33

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Okay, weird ... I'm sure I posted thanking Jim for the video and saying how much I enjoyed it and especially the PBY-4 "Maiden Flight" and PBY-5 & 5A Black Cat segments ... but that post doesn't seem to be here ...? (Anyhow, that's it essentially)
Which makes for "Long time no post".
I've done quite a lot of weathering on Grumman Duck, which is ready to decal when Catalina gets to the same stage -

I didn't do any scribing on Duck so being an Airfix kitset there isn't really a single panel line on it (aside from ailerons, rudder etc). I may live to regret this as you'll see later.
I have made considerable progress with XX-O Catalina and for those 3 or 4 followers of my brush painting technique, including Voy1d who specifically asked about it recently, I am making this a photo essay called "Wally's Brush Painting Technique"
Two assumptions underlie my brush painting. 1. It is going to look brush painted, not airbrushed. 2. It may not look 'realistic'. The model becomes the 'canvas' for a "painterly finish" intended to achieve, for instance, as in this case, fairly extreme fading and weathering (or some other intention). Here's Catalina assembled in it's four essential component pieces for painting - fuselage + tailplane, wings (or wing) & 2 x floats -

Masks applied and canopies fitted, which is unusual for me. I don't do this unless I know the thing is sealed (or can easily be sealed) against final Dullcote aerosol -

My technique is essentially the same for underside and topside. I'll focus on the uppers in this case since they are more dramatic.
All the paint is AeroMaster acrylic Warbirds Color. A base colour of self-mixed Faded USN Blue-Grey is applied all-over -

Then I apply a lighter shade all-over called Very Faded USN Blue-Grey within each panel as defined by recessed panel lines. Here I have used a 'mussed up' relatively small pony hair brush -

Next I go along the panel lines using a flat synthetic brush (in this case) and Fresh USN Blue-Grey, the darkest shade -

The flat brush is useful because by turning it by degrees I can get a narrower or wider swath of colour. This process takes ages and afterwards the contrast is kind of extreme (although I am also playing with extreme contrast on this model). Note that based on photos I have assumed an area of fuselage mostly shaded by the wing does not fade so much.

So now I go back over some areas with Very Faded USN BG -

and then with straight AeroMaster French Lt Blue-Grey for the most faded areas, this time using a pointed synthetic brush -

Quite alot of dry- or nearly dry-brushing in this case eases back some of the extreme contrast by eating away some of the darker panel line (or pre-shading type) colour.

Next I would normally do paint chipping then panel lines but there won't be a lot of chipping so I don't mind going over a few parts again. I do panel lines with lead pencil, in this case 2B (I think?) then deeper trim tab lines in 0.05 Staedler and rudder 'gap' in 1.0 Staedler. All this is another fairly lengthy process -

I still have some work to do, chipping, caulking along the lower edge in black (which I am determined not to leave out this time) and final touch ups before gloss coat and decals. And (as mentioned at the beginning) I now have a heavily panel lined Catalina contrasting with a Duck that has no panel lines at all both on the same diorama ... oh well ....
I may not make the deadline on this one anyhow ...
When is that deadline by the way ...?
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: insert pic 042

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #34

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Looking great Wally, I am enjoying the ride!

Paul

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #35

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
:P Cheers Paul.
Last night, after fitting & painting the exhausts, I applied Vallejo Smoke for the exhaust stains on the (massive) wing and did some chipping and then the panel lines -

I also did some scorching on the underside of the engines and coming from the (open) cowl flaps -

And Grumman Duck got exhaust stains too -

While I had the colour out I mixed some Misterkit acrylic Black with it and lambasted the Cats underside and floats. This is based on photographic evidence which I forgot to photograph and will post later. Other photos from Dumbo Diaries support the fairly harsh and uneven weathering of the USN Blue-Grey paint.

Then I took a risk and dry brushed this same colour across the pronounced rivets of Duck in an effort to emulate panel lines. It worked okay. Under the actual circumstances of the diorama Duck has been tossed around in heavy seas for many hours and has a parachute draped over it anyhow ...

Nearly time to start on the base while I await decals to arrive.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #36

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Wow that's looking really great Wally. Love you colour tones, and all brush painted to, cleaver. Looking forward to the water effects.
Tiger

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #37

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks Tiger. Yes, those water effects are going to be challenging. I have procrastinated long enough though and will need to start on the "ocean" very soon.
For other potential RNZAF PBY-5 modelers I thought I'd include some reference material and my thoughts about markings. I know of at least one person, Moeggo in giant 1/32 scale, who's build I am especially looking forward to.
First, primarily because of AeroMaster's RNZAF in WW2 decal set, we are so accustomed to seeing NZ4017 XX-T that little information (I have seen) exists about the exact size and type of the large code letters. By all accounts they were US Insignia Yellow colour and by AM scale reference they were 48" high. So the below photograph of NZ4015 XX-R and another of XX-D (which I forgot to take and will post later) are very interesting - strong evidence here of very uneven paint fading and weathering -

Like this one the XX-D photo also confirms that letters like R and D were US 45 degree type, not RAF type. I have also seen XX-J. So I think that most of the 'rounded' letters were US 45 degree type. Perhaps not all though, XX-S appears to differ ...?
The XX-D "Beaching Crew" photo and several others, including XX-T itself in flight, also challenge both the presumed size and the positioning of these letters. On XX-D the letters do not look 48" high. They may have been 40" or 44" on some (or even all?) of our Cats.
AeroMaster's port-side decal placement for XX-T has the second X overlapping the window and being cut out slightly. Photos like this one (and many others) defy that -

This photo also confirms that at least at some times RNZAF PBY-5's had "dirty bottoms"! Both photos evidence the black caulking line around the lower edge of the fuselage-hull.
The XX-D starboard side photo is very different from AeroMaster's decal placement due to the window being in a different position than Academy's 1/72 version (and I think the same applies to Monogram's 1/48). In reality the window - apparently higher and smaller on the starboard side - only chops off part of the top of the second or forward X.
AeroMaster's RNZAF in WW2 was a wonderful addition to the decal ouvre in its day but with the discovery of discrepancies in PBY-5 I now consider there to be glaring deficiencies in almost every aircraft in the set, the possible exceptions being PB2B-1 PA-E and the Avengers.
The other thing about these AM decals, of course, (unlike all their decals) is they are terribly difficult decals to use and the larger the roundel-bars involved become the more difficult they get. So I always go in search of possible alternatives and this means only one thing to me, "Does Ventura decals have anything equivalent?"
So for other potential 1/72 RNZAF PBY-5 modelers here is what I did and what can be done -
Ventura's latest reprint of Pacific PV-1 Venturas V4882 in 1/48 scale has improved (darker) roundel colour and an incredibly useful array of roundels & roundel-bars. I've so far determined they can variously be used for PV-1's, Hudsons, Kittyhawks and Avengers in 1/48 scale - probably others too - and yes, you guessed it, the upper and lower wing roundel-bars for PBY-5 Catalina in 1/72 scale. The white bars and bars with borders are marginally shorter but frankly the difference in quality makes up for the loss of exact accuracy in my opinion.
I elected to use AeroMasters fuselage roundel-bars only because I wanted to get the decals done and not wait for or pay for more from Ventura. But the same PV-1 set in 1/72 scale, V7275, has roundel-bar with yellow outlines suitable - EXCEPT - it means applying the roundel bar with the partial outline first and then the roundel only with full outline on top. This would likely be no thicker than a single AM decal and probably less inclined to bubble (which one of mine did and I had to cut along the panel lines).
In fairness, one of the white upper wing Ventura bars tore and I had to piece it together and 'damage' it after gloss coating. "It's hard to find the perfect decal son".
I used Fantasy Printshop 1/48 24" Yellow US 45 Degree codes for the fuselage code letters which are approximately 40" in 1/72. These are wonderfully thin decals reminiscent of Ventura and, like some Ventura decals, they suffer from colour density issues (except much worse). This deficiency is serviceable as "weathering" in this case but basically it's not a good look.
They are not quite as sticky as Ventura either but aside from very rare AeroMaster 45 degree Yellow code sets on eBay I couldn't find anything else. (I'm not willing to attempt InkJet decals again).
Ventura fin flashes and serials. I used the AM Dumbos all on the starboard side - as seems most common in reality - which means 5 are facing the wrong way. I also used the AM factory rudder stencils and sure enough they silvered (as well as being oversize)
So anyhow, a 1/72 RNZAF PBY-5 can mostly be done without using AM decals if you want. I've only got photos of the aircraft after decaling on the Dullcote bench upside down at this stage. I'll post more tomorrow -

For Grumman Duck I was forced to use Academy 1/48 Lightning decals and I am reluctant to use Academy decals at all under any circumstances. However, using MicroSet and MicroSol in their correct order, they settled fairly well and didn't silver. Just the usual air trapped under any relief ... and Duck has plenty of that in the form of Airfix rivets! Darn! They are serviceable though.

So I'll post some other photos to back up my claims about code letter size and placement next time along with, hopefully, images of the finished aircraft. Then I'll have no excuses left for not tackling the sea.
When's that deadline by the way?
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: clarity

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #38

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Nice progress Wally, looking good.
I have been away for a nearly a week and the progress is a lot.
Interesting reading on your experience with the AM decals... I have a set of 1/72 RNZAF for use one day...
Cheers Grant.

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #39

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Deadline? There's a deadline? Oh Hell !!! :evil: :silly:
First of November. . . .
And I may struggle with that too . . . . :unsure:

Oh Yeah, Niiiiice work Wally...Go Go Go :P

D1

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last Edit: by 1/35th Battalion.

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 8 months ago #40

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
At a pinch I guess I can submit my other entries just as aircraft without bases - Hudson, Harvard, Walrus and ... crikey ... I forget what # 4 is?
Here is the NZ4004 XX-D "Beaching Crew" photo from Dumbo Diaries. The starboard window is much more a slit than the port-side one but appears to be the same height judging by the amount of code letter above it. This is odd because at a glance it definitely looks higher.
(I'd also be very interested if anyone knows exactly what the tracked tow vehicle was? It looks kind of like a Bren Carrier.)

I'm pleased with the position of my code letters by comparison, though if the window is incorrectly sited as I suspect I may have to concede my letters are too small.

Anyway, I had another tough session last nite with the final assembly of Grumman Duck. These biplane upper wing attachments complete with struts and rigging attached are a real mission! Heaps of Superglue and quite a lot of tidying up afterwards and still a little Intermediate Blue to touch up on the struts. However, half smothered in wet parachute clawing its way up a 15 - 20 foot swell I don't think it will matter all that much -

PBY-5 was better behaved at final assembly although I broke the aerial wire pillar off the tail in this rather hurried photo session this morning

And I very briefly put them together to see what kind of area of ocean I will need -

- which I suspect is "quite large" ...? In reality they were a quarter mile apart when the Catalina landed so I have to think about sensible truncation of that. The old "artistic license".
Despite very minor silvering around some of the decals I am really pleased with the Cat. Gotta find me a piece of board large enough for that ocean now and start building up a base.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: add comment

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #41

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Like all procrastination, once I started on the ocean base and put my mind to the challenge of Grumman Duck's crew, neither was as difficult as I anticipated. I first decided that I want the ocean diorama-base to be just that, nothing but ocean, which (conveniently) allows me to use a piece of crap triboard as the foundation. To this I attached a large piece of thick styrene foam which already has some contour in it. Here it is weighted down with firewood while the PVA sets -

and this morning -

The edge is going to require considerable filling and sanding but I think this concept can work. I don't want the ocean "contained" by a frame.
Between times I set about creating the 2 man Duck crew. With my only option being Airfix USAF Personnel made of that terrible soft vinyl stuff that no paint (I know of) will stick to. Having located a suitable figure with arms raised I turned to the question, "What might I have that will allow paint to stick to him?" In a flash the answer came to me, "Mr Surfacer 1000!" and sure enough, this potent formula certainly sticks to these vinyl figures -

Figuring that Duck's WOAG or "Radioman/Gunner" would remain in his position behind the pilot to monitor communications and guard against aerial attack, this guy is perfect for celebrating the arrival of an RNZAF Dumbo -

Airfix's Handley Page Hampden pilot works surprisingly well as the pilot standing on the tilted wing bracing himself against the side and holding the inflated life raft, although I realized after partially painting him that he will require a head transplant with an ordinary Airfix pilot (which I have) because his high altitude breathing mask is not going to work as a face -

So I have the beginnings of an ocean base and a rough layout -

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: grammatical correction

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #42

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 516
looking good Wally...your rescue birds are great

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #43

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Cheers D2
I didn't get many photos of the process of creating the ocean base coz I got so absorbed in doing it. It started out like this -

First I carved away at it by shaving off slivers using the entire length of a Stanley knife blade, pliable enough to match most contours I wanted it to. I deepened the trough which Duck is in and tried to angle the swell across that corner more. You can kinda see the eventual contour in this "after" shot taken out on the deck with the array of tools and instruments I used to seal-and-surface it. We are looking at the same end of the diorama as in the previous photo -

I decided I wasn't going to use clear or translucent caulk and also that I would just go for it using No More Gaps rather than experiment. So basically I squeezed the No More Gaps onto areas like one side each time or maybe 1/6 of the top. I spread it out with a putty knife, finding it impossible to get a smooth surface on the sides but covering them reasonably well. Then I attacked each area on top with a coarse hair brush about 1cm wide, probably hog hair. It worked best when still a little damp after washing out in water. I sort of stippled it and tried to lift up 'whitecaps' while always moving right to left which is the theoretical wind direction across the swell -

The wind aspect didn't work quite so well but I am happy with the ruffled surface and 'whitecaps' - I tried to think 1/72nd scale - and fairly pleased with the feathering at the top of the wave -

Also once it's dry I can always add more. Ideally I want one part of the wave actually breaking. The slot in the wave and small impression in the swell are for Duck and Cat respectively. I dug them out a bit, put thicker No More Gaps in and around the fixing points and checked the aircraft into them with their bottoms wrapped in Glad Wrap, then modeled wake or spray using mostly the same brush. This seemed to work okay and again more wake or splash or foam can be added later.
This method commits me to trying to paint the ocean and then spray it with gloss varnish, for which I have ordered a can of Testors Glosscoat but I remain unsure about the sides, especially the wave side. I doubt if I can paint that "side-on look" you sometimes see below the surface of dios done with clear or tinted resin but I'm not sure black won't spoil the ocean look.
One things for sure, it'll be a challenging painting exercise in every way!
This picture shows one of the sides I'm considering painting black -

And this one shows the wave 'front' which I feel (at this stage) needs to be ocean all over -

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #44

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 516
looking bloody awesome as usual Wally...looking forward to the end result

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #45

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Looking forward to it too Wally, looking great!

Paul

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #46

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
I echo what the others have said. I think once it's painted up and "whitecapped" it will look pretty good!

- Gaz

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #47

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I had to deepen the 'slot' for Grumman Duck -

- and while that was drying for 48 hours I made me a liferaft out of 250lb bomb bodies left over from Revell 1/48 Ventura. It may not be very historically accurate. I copied it from a long-shot photo of a post-war OA-10A rescue exercise -

- and despite being much larger than my first experiment it is still really only one-man size -

- oh well .... at this stage it's just too bad! (I might have my pilot holding a second un-inflated raft ...?)
Next I set about painting some ocean, which sounds a whole lot easier than it actually is. I consulted Shep Payne and tried to mix a slightly turquoise blue but I thought my first coat was way too dark and too blue. I applied it anyhow for depth and to lessen the amount of paint in the mixing vessel -

Then I 'greened' it and progressively lightened the colour for 3 more blotchy applications. These were the pessimistic times I considered it unlikely this whole thing was gonna work.

Next I progressively 'whitening' the turquoisey-blue colour for about 4 more applications, initially further lightening the sides -

- down to almost pure white, by which time I was lightly almost dry brushing across the whitecaps (except the brush was wet). It was only at this stage I began to consider my painted ocean might work -

Then I decided I needed to progressively darken the base going down in some impression of depth (in case it doesn't get framed) -

I have tutu'd a bit more since, adding a little darker blue-green towards the base of the wave since it's theoretically deeper water there but essentially I am happy with it, although I now think I could have stuck more with my original shade (in terms of darkness). It may be a bit too light but darkening it would require doing the whole thing again.
Next is the attachment of aircraft and raft and the irksome problem of a (wet) parachute draped over J2F Duck ....?
Any ideas how to depict a wet parachute guys ....?
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: Caps Duck

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #48

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Man, that's looking pretty damn good Wally. It's starting to come together beautifully.
(I also deleted the double post for you too).
Can't wait to see more!

- Gaz

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #49

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thank you Gaz and thank you Gaz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CyNaKyL

I enjoy doing research

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #50

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Gee Wally I think you have fairly well nailed it! And using simple easy to find products.

Cant wait to see em all together!

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #51

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Magic stuff there Wally. Looking great, its amazing what you can achieve with a few goodies floating around the house or at the local hardware shop.
Can't wait to see it with the planes on.
:woohoo: :woohoo:
Tiger

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #52

• eyepaule
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad I'm not in that water. Looks like a s*** of a day to be out! Lovely stuff Wally..

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #53

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
  • Thank you received: 55
Coming along nicely, Wally.
B)

Stepping up your game, I see?
If one dio is guaranteed to grab my attention it's the one with water. Littoral, riparian or open sea doesn't matter.

Keep up the great work!
Is your intention to reproduce a murky, stormy sea, therefore the lighter tones to the water? Or, will you be adding contrast with deeper blues in some low points?

Either/or it's an effective picture from basic materials.

Regards

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
r-mcarthur.wix.com/717squadron# !
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Testors 1/72 Harrier, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #54

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks people.
Ross, I appreciate your feedback. You ask exactly the questions I would ask if it was someone else's work that looked exactly like mine.
I'd call it a frothy, storm-generated sea. A 15 - 20ft swell from storm winds a few days ago but today is clear although there is a fairly strong swirling cross-wind now creating white caps. Hence the challenge of a parachute draped over Duck, wet in places and edges flapping in the wind ...?
I reckon the base or 'depth' sea colour should really be darker but I'm not going to add any deeper blues aside from what I have already done at the base of the wave for which there's no pictures yet.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #55

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I gave the ocean about 3 sprays of Vallejo acrylic Gloss because I found I had half a can and a single can of Testors Glosscoat looked so small for the area involved. I eventually used that too, allowing 2 more coats. My ocean still doesn't look as glossy as Shep Payne's and, if anything, the colour has gotten lighter. These photos are taken after mocking up the attachment of the aircraft and crew in order to determine things like where the parachute will be draped and how to attach a line between the pilot and raft. Permanent fixing has yet to come. Incidentally, I found it very difficult to photograph the entire diorama in 'longshot' [so to speak]. I will need a larger background and I think preferably a light blue one ...

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: try again to retrieve pic 006 into position 3 or 9

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #56

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow that's outstanding Wally. :)
Tiger

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #57

• grunzter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
Great work Wally, love the big Cat!
And the story is nice with the figures on the Duck...
Amazing what you pumped out for this group build, its been enjoyable to watch the progress....
Grant

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #58

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I had a look at the first post for this GB and sure enough today is apparently the finish day!
I made some parachute cords using elastic thread, stuck them to a piece of plastic, stuck it to the Radioman's seat and the cord ends to the wing. Then I spent a bit of time experimenting with tissue, copy paper, cotton rag, PVA, Water Effects and finally Flat Clearcoat in attempts to simulate a draped-over parachute. All to little avail. Finally in "to hell with it" mode I just cut an octagon-like circle from copy paper, scrunched it up repeatedly, dipped it in Micro Flat and draped it over the wing. I then tried to unfold and re-fold it with blunt tweezers. It took ages to dry but it sorta works I guess, considering this chute has gotten wet and been buffeted about by the wind.

I attached a rope to Duck for the pilot to hold onto the raft After that I attached the Duck's crew, it's and Catalina's aerial wires and attached the aircraft to the base. More water effects and some KM Klear was used to create some wet look. Unfortunately the really old Vallejo Water Effects a friend gave me required thinning with water and became too thin to create realistic splashes (which Woodland Scenics WE's also claim to do). Some water splashing or flowing off the hull, floats, sides, lower wing & tailplane would really cap this off but it wasn't to be.
Nor was anything other than a black background for photographs which may not be the ideal colour. I think sky would work better.

As always I took around 40 pictures and its incredibly difficult to edit down to five. Will make a separate posting when I have.
Thanks for all the encouragement along the way folks.
Cheers
Wally.
PS - the worst thing is I spent quite a lot of time editing the photos in Picassa and assumed that by "applying" they would automatically populate my picture file. Turns out not to be the case. These are (mostly it seems) the unedited pictures. Darn it! I gotta get onto understanding that.

I enjoy doing research
Last Edit: by Wally. Reason: PS

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #59

• Dads Army
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
..............."and on the second day, he made the ocean"

Your right up there with the big feller Wally :lol:
26 new posts since I last looked in here, and I haven't read them all yet - but that is outstanding, great work!!

"Rough as Guts Production's"

Wally's Pacific Build 1 - 6 (FB) Squadron NZ4013 XX-O Dumbo 5 years 7 months ago #60

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks DA. Hey, great to hear from you!

I enjoy doing research
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee