The subject of this group build is to take a model off your shelf that's been sitting there unfinished and finish it.
To start post photos of your model(s) in it's current state with a quick blurb of what version you were building and why it ended up abandoned. Then blog and post photos of you finishing it!
Extra kudos the older it is.
TOPIC: Hasegawa 1/48 F-18A Hornet - Shelf of Doom ‘19
Hasegawa 1/48 F-18A Hornet - Shelf of Doom ‘19
9 months 2 weeks ago #1
Skyhawk is having a little rest up as I now have a couple of builds that need to take precedence. The priority for now is the conversion I was working on of the Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18A Hornet back to the prototype F-18A (as it was referred to back then) as it first flew on 18 November 1978. I started this around 2008/2009 so nearly 10 years ago.
Here is what I had done previously and where it ended up.
I've since removed the 3 ECM bumps on the nose as these were not present at the time
The rudder actuator fairings have since been removed as these were never present (received some bogus info)
I have since redone the tailplane dogtooth as I wasn't happy with this one
And an image with the fully modified wingtip/flaps and new dogtooth on the leading edge flap
I made some more changes last year after some more observations around the aircraft on it's maiden flight (which is quite different even from when it was first rolled out).
- filled in the leading edge extension navigation lights
- filled in the navigation lights on the front of the under-wing flap fairings
- removed the rudder actuator fairings I originally added
- removed the radar warning blisters from the nose
- moved the position of the angle of attack mounting holes higher on the nose
Also managed to join the fuselage halves together, and now I'm working on cleaning up the join, which is tricky with the LEX in the way.
The Hornet has been back on the bench this week and I have managed to complete all of the main assembly, and added numerous detail parts. It's now a case of cleaning everything up ready for the base coat of white paint, which is going to need to be very smooth. I've also assembled all of the landing gear and made the necessary modifications to the nose landing gear, which is a little different from the production aircraft.
Current task is assembling a pair of Eduard Brassin Sidewinders and a pair of their Sparrows. The Sparrows have to have the lower fins removed, as seen on the photo of the aircraft in flight at the start of this thread. I'm also modifying and detailing the kit exhausts,as no one does a set of detailed resin exhausts using the arly nozzle style.
The Hornet is making significant progress and is close to getting frst paint. Need to get around to taking some pics. A lot of time has been spent refining details and matching the kit to the walkaround reference of the aircraft at the time. It's quite different in so many areas that you only pick up on when studying the pictures.
Not sure this will be done by the end of June in time for GB deadline, but it does have to be finished by end of July, as the plan is to take it to the US IPMS Nationals in Phoenix at the start of August.
I'm currently going over the whole fuselage with a good light and magnification and tidying up any blemishes, shonky panel lines and rivets, and cleaning up any joins that are not up to par. Plan is to try and get a gloss black base coat on early next week, and I need to have the main white base colour finished by mid-June at the latest.
Murphy's Law preserved. After asking on numerous sites for information on the ladder on the prototype on the day of its maiden flight, I was able to find this, which seemed to confirm the 'no ladder fitted early on' information I had found.
So I glued the ladder door closed and then filled it in and sanded smooth. Along comes Murphy. I can now see that the ladder was indeed fitted, so I'm now in the process of opening the ladder bay back up and building a ladder as originally planned. You can see the closed ladder panel just under the leading edge extension
Time to turn my attention to the ladder, which I'd like to be a bit of a point of interest, so needs some detail added not present on the kit item. I've opened all the lightening holes and started to carve out the side arms to show the structure better.
The weapons on the jet are also a little different than normal. The AIM-7 Sprrows which occupy the shoulder pylons had their lower fins not fitted for the maiden flight. I can only presume this was to make it easier if the aircraft had to land due to gear malfunction as these were not live rounds. To that end, I've taken a pair of Sparrow missiles from the Zoukei Mura F-4S Phantom and modified them accordingly, removing the lower fins and part of the rear of the cable conduit on each missile. I've also added some brass pins to help with fit and alignment after everything is painted.