The subject of this group build is to take a model off your shelf that's been sitting there unfinished and finish it.
To start post photos of your model(s) in it's current state with a quick blurb of what version you were building and why it ended up abandoned. Then blog and post photos of you finishing it!
Extra kudos the older it is.
Cheers guys. I decided to do a second dip and I just had a look. Really pleased with the results. I don't even need to gloss coat it. Sorry for the crap picture, used my tablet. One step closer to buttoning her up.
This is not the most conducive weather for modelling. Just too damn hot, but I have done a little anyway.
The paint pooled up at the end of the intakes so I took to it with a blade.
Bart apart from the seam, they look good.
Ive been waiting for a time to prime the metallic parts, and so I skipped this mornings walk to lay down a black base. I decided to try the AK microprimer again. I used so much last time I tried it so I was down at 10 PSI but it still seemed to use a lot.
Happy enough with the result though. I'll be using the Vallejo acrylic metallics to keep smelly stuff to a minimum.
Another chance to do some painting so I got out the spoons to choose the colours I would paint the various engine parts. Im using the Vallejo Metal Color paints, and chose Semi-Matt Aluminium for the intake blades, Dark Aluminium for the exhaust blades and burner rings and Steel for the exhausts. I was going to paint the outside of the burner cans in Mr Color buffable Dark Iron.
I liked the way the parts came out, and these will be weathered more. I really like the Steel colour on the engines so I painted the outside of the burners with it as well. (Sorry no pic of those)
Starting to push on I fitted the intake blades to the intakes. On of the intakes cracked open a tiny amount, but enough to let light through. To fix it I just put some duct tape over it to eliminate any light bleed, even though this would be sealed up.
While the seam lines still bug me, and something I will be sure to do better next time, I like the look of the intakes.
I also glued up the canopy to the frames, ready for paint,
And after some more test fitting and a little bit of sanding, I started closing up the fuselage halves. Seems like it has taken forever to get to this stage. Probably because it has.
I also hand cut a piece of plastic for the HUD and glued that on. Will probably put a small coating of green on it.
Last job was to bung up the intakes using some foam cut to shape and tapered in to slide down the intakes easily (and then hopefully back out)
Then baby woke up and the sun started kicking in to gear. Back to sweaty dad duties
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Revell 1:48 F-15E Strike Eagle - K1's Shame
1 year 7 months ago #40
Have had very little time, and sleep so only managed to get back to the bench for a few minutes yesterday.
First thing I had to do was work out how to fit the gun into the recess. My fault that I never tested it properly first and as half the fuselage was glued, it made fitting it a bit trickier. I got one end seated in properly
And then the the halves just came together nicely.
I have been using the Tamiya weathering kits to weather the engines. Trying to add the white ceramic look to the insides of the burner cans.
Looks better to the human eye than a camera photo on 2x zoom but she's getting there.