Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

The subject of this group build is to take a model off your shelf that's been sitting there unfinished and finish it.
To start post photos of your model(s) in it's current state with a quick blurb of what version you were building and why it ended up abandoned. Then blog and post photos of you finishing it!
Extra kudos the older it is.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 1 day ago #1

• Fooesboy
  • Fooesboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Salvaged from the depths of dispair, my Revelle Type VIIc U-Boot!

I cast off way back in 2004, full of hopes and dreams. I gathered aftermarket from far and wide, a lazer cut wooden deck from Nautilus, Eduard photoetch, turned brass periscopes & gun barrels, brass screws and a fabric flag with the correct Kriegsmarine emblem to build myself a tribute to the brave sailors who fought and died aboard these iron coffins. Not long out of the dry dock it was depth charged by "HMS Overambitious" as my fledgling modeling skills struggled with opening the flood holes so U-552 retreated to the depths of the SOD. A few months passed (it could have been more, so hard to tell the passing of time skulking in the deep) I felt sure HMS Overambitious had passed and U-552 broke to the surface of my bench. Greeted by blue modeling skies I pressed on! The flood holes were finished, some new internal bulk heads were scratch built and the hull was joined. The lookout caught sight of HMS Overambitious steaming on the horizon so we dived back to the safety of the SOD.

At some point I discoverd the movie Das Boot and before I knew it U-552 once again breached the surface of my bench and what a sight to behold, work began in ernest on the conning tower, all the molded on detail was erased and the Eduard PE was attached but in my enthusiam the lookout was not well manned and HMS Overambitious was apon me in a flash as I dry fitted the conning tower together and found to my horror that the UZO (U-Boot-Zieloptik) was not high enough to clear the top of the conning tower! Battle stations were manned and a valient attempt to scratch build a new base was undertaken but HMS Overambitious had the advantage of suprise and the resulting depth charge attack was a sight to behold, swift and savage! U-552 crash dived to the SOD just in time. Here in the murky depths she lay silently in wait until sometime in 2008 she made a brief patrol on the surface of the bench once again. At this time the wooden deck was dry fitted and an attempt to work out how to paint and weather the real wood was tried. Unfortunatly moral amongst the crew was still shot from the last attack coupled with an imminent move of base in 2009 from our U-Boot penn Switzerland to a dry dock in New Zealand saw U-552 boxed away but not forgotten.

28 of June 2016:
Thoughts of how to overcome the UZO problem and drive off HMS Overambitious had been occupying a small space in the back of my mind for the last 7 years when a chance discovery at BNA would bring U-552 back into the fight. I came across a MPM exterior set for the conning tower that included a new resin UZO and periscope base, I had a look around to see what else I could find and saw that Eduard had also released a Brassin deck gun so this was added to the cart. With these new additions U-552 circled my bench at periscope depth as enquries were made to joining the "All at sea" group build. Some dark mutterings were heard about her being too far along and modeling time was limited anyway so back to the depths she sank.

AiC 2017:
Someone had 2 1/72 U-Boots and a 1/72 Gato on the display tables, right opposite where I was sitting. Man, they look great! So all thoughts of other projects were instantly swepped aside in a rush of blood to the head U-552 was taken along for the Sunday and she has had prime spot on my bench since then.
HMS Overambitious is on the horizon and shadowing our every move, but the crew is manning the deck gun and determind to beat her off for good this time....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 1 day ago #2

• Maarten
  • Thank you received: 505

I like it !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fooesboy

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 1 day ago #3

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 169
Good gracious me that is a hell of a project!

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 22 hours ago #4

• RED
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
wow .... just wow

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 22 hours ago #5

• Fooesboy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here are a few more photos taken as she was at AiC.

The Conning tower is just dry fitted, the Eduard hatches have been fitted and the first 2 reinforcing plates on the hand rails have been attached

Wooden deck dry fitted

This one is interesting because you can just make out the test painting I have done on the deck scrapes.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 21 hours ago #6

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 68
Oh Nice! I have one that I started too and got placed back into the box like you..

I know that I got AM for it too.. But I cant remember what! Maybe I should pull it out too for this later on.

Thou one thing I didn't get is a fabric flag.. Where did you get that?

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 21 hours ago #7

• Fooesboy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here is what I have been working on since AiC:

UZO, the resin CMK next to the kit part, here you can easly see how undersized the kit part is.
Looking at this photo I see that the grab handle needs to be scrach built as this is not part of the CMK, kit which is suprising.

Here is the CMK periscope base compaired to the woeful kit rendition. I have replaced the resin handles with brass and lead ones as they were far too brittle for me to handle.

One of the bigest challenges was drilling a hole into the solid resin block to fit the turned brass periscope. It needed to pe a snug fit and kept perfectly perpendicular as I do not want to glue it in place to allow for removal when transporting.

The kit supplied guns are crude, thats the only family friendly way of saying it....
The only part used is the large hand wheel, I also cut off the CMK resin barrel and replaced with a turned brass part.
Once this assembly was finished I decided it would be great fun to drop it onto the floor..... parts exploded everywere (I think my CA had gone off and was to giving a very strong join), after muchscrabbling around I found it all except the sholder supports. These were found the next day by my chair :-( and needed to be remade.
I used some 0.5mm and 0.8mm brass rod and soldered it together for strength.

After that episode I decided that it would be prudent to make small blocks to hold these sub-assemblies while working and painting them, as a bonus it is also safer to store them like this.

Here is the Eduard Brassin deck gun, here too I replaced the resin barrel with a turned brass one.

Next my attention was turned to the conning tower, it is now glued together and almost ready for primer.
My original plan was to scratch build the Wintergarten using brass rod but really knew my skills were not up to the task, seeing the finished U-Boot at AiC with the plastic hand rails I decided the kit parts would do.

Conning tower dry fitted to the deck and U-552 is starting to take shape

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 20 hours ago #8

• Fooesboy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Moeggo wrote: Oh Nice! I have one that I started too and got placed back into the box like you..

I know that I got AM for it too.. But I cant remember what! Maybe I should pull it out too for this later on.

I cannot remember where I found the flag, give me a break... it was back in 2004!

The WNW Green Tail Trilogy you are working on needs an update.... (just sayin') :whistle: but would be cool to see another U-Boot in the dry docks.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 20 hours ago #9

• Fooesboy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

ALARM!!!!
HMS Overambitious has spotted U-552 and turned to attack!

The wooded deck and the original plastic part that has been kept to simulate the steel portion are different widths!
I was hoping that Admiral Folks would be making a tour of the U-Boot penn which would give me the opportunity to call in reinforcements to drive off HMS Overambitious!
My consern is, if I trim down the plastic part and corresponding PE part the the supports for the net cutter will be off but I am not sure how to fill le gap next to the wood.

I would like to know what you guys think?

Last Edit: by Fooesboy.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 weeks 19 hours ago #10

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 797
Can't you just strip up the scrap wood, glue it in and sand it back

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 2 weeks 4 days ago #11

• Moeggo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 68

Fooesboy wrote:

Moeggo wrote: Oh Nice! I have one that I started too and got placed back into the box like you..

I cannot remember where I found the flag, give me a break... it was back in 2004!

The WNW Green Tail Trilogy you are working on needs an update.... (just sayin') :whistle: but would be cool to see another U-Boot in the dry docks.

I will give the brand a google and see what I find.. Yeah, pretty much all modelling has come to a halt... I have a pinched nerve in my back at the moment, and sitting at the bench isn't conformable at the moment. So once that is sorted I will get back onto it.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 2 weeks 4 days ago #12

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1337
What Gary said, The detail looks great so far. And as an aside I hope that nerve sorts itself out quickly.

Why is patience a virtue, why can't hurry the f**k up be a virtue?

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 2 weeks 3 days ago #13

• Fooesboy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks guys!
I have decided to press on and have glued the deck on with 5 minute epoxy... no turning back now!
I have been reluctant to fill the gap because all my paint testing has shown that the grain of the wood will show through the paint. Any area that gets filled will most likely be easy to spot the difference in finish.
I have coated the wood in both sides with 4 coats of thinned Testors gloss coat. The aim of this is for the lacquer to penetrate into the wood and stop it from warping when I am doing the chipping.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 1 week 6 days ago #14

• Fooesboy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
This morning I sat down and wrote a list of all the things that needed to happen before I could prime U-552, I felt that this would be a good thing so that I didn't miss an important step.

It's quite a large model and I am having trouble taking photos.... but that was nothing like trying to fit it into my spray cabinet!

I used the Badger Stynylrez for the first time, shot through my Iwata HP-TH airbrush with a 0.5mm nozzle at 30psi as per the Badger reccomendations.
The resaults are very pleasing, a great finish straight out of the airbrush, there are of course a few seams that will need a bit more work.

It is very nice to be at this stage, feels like a big milestone for this build. Certainly a major psychological achievement for me.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 1 week 6 days ago #15

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1081
Great stuff and great job getting primer on it. Large is right but I find Stynylrez doesn't tend to go everywhere which is another bonus of it.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 1 week 6 days ago #16

• Maarten
  • Thank you received: 505
Attachments:

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 1 week 5 days ago #17

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 201
Looking great! Can't wait to see the weathering.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 1 week 5 days ago #18

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 563
Nice work!

Still not feeling like restarting the GATO :P :lol: :lol:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 1 week 4 days ago #19

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 822
Cracking along nicely Chris.
Looks blimmin good too btw

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 days 12 hours ago #20

• Fooesboy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Just wanting to infor you all that U-552 has some shore leave....

We are visiting our old drydocks in Switzerland for christmas and will be returning in Febuary. So U-552 is being carefully packed away, but not back on the SOD!
I'll post a bit about our travles in another thread if there is any interest.

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 3 days 12 hours ago #21

• Glenn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Sweet,enjoy your time away Chris:P

Fooesboy's U-552 shelf queen. 2 days 22 hours ago #22

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1081
Yeah have a great holiday mate and for sure post up some pics. :cheer:

• Page: