Throughout this project I continue to do Internet research. A friend emailed me a photo taken of a computer screen by her iPhone. It revealed a few things I was still not clear about. There was the matter of what did the swing-gates look like. The scale of the cars is known, but how did they look in comparison to the whole bridge. Finally, what did the concrete road look like from above.
Decided to splatter dark grey paint onto the cement colour. It turned out horrendous. Originally I wanted to start again, but a part of me knew it could be turned to my advantages. So then I used the dry brush method to lighten up the dark patches. Afterwards, I kept alternating between dark and light paint with a fine brush until I was happy with the results.
Painting the span took longer than painting the rest of the road. It was difficult to get into the central areas. The edges of the span and bridge have a metal plate (silver painted area). The hole you see on edge of road is for the fine (0.7 mm) bridge cable which goes through the display table.
WOW! Maarten, that was a TOP response indeed. Thanks.
Since the console will be a wiring diorama of sorts, I decided to add a touch of drama by painting bits here and there.
The PIR sensors movement in its vicinity. When it does it will turn the console lighting on. The only times it turns off is when the PIR no longer sensors movement for 10 seconds, or when someone starts working the console.
Now that the wiring diorama is basically completed, I can forget about that part of the project.
At this stage I started thinking about the landscape. That is, the river bank areas.
Here is the North side. My first objective was the staircase, and build from there.
Above: 7 years between these two photographs.
Created footpath under the bridge and up the hill.
Thank you Maarten, Gary, and Bishop for your kind responses.
At this stage, certain parts, and information, arrived that allowed me to make a start with the traffic control swing gates.
The swing gates were taken out in 1995. This is the best photo I could find of them.
I used #8 fencing wire for axles, brass tubing, flat brazing rod, washers, scarp tin, and fly-sscreen for chain mesh..
I knew a broken hacksaw blade will come in handy one day!
Looked everwhere for couplings, but they were expensive to the size I wanted. Then I realized that electrical terminal strips have just what I needed.
Even cut some in half for single bolt couplings to be used on link ends.