Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #31 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic The General
No!!! I'm totally over the pile of crap from MPC, I've even been working on the Skytrain again and started an ME109 to bring some sanity to my mind. But it's almost done should have it out of the way by the weekend.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic The General
WOW! Really that bad Gary? :ohmy:

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
5 years 9 months ago #33 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic The General

Gary wrote: No!!! I'm totally over the pile of crap from MPC,

Sometimes the old big scale kits are not all they are cracked up to be. Even the re pops.
As a general rule im steering clear of MPC, AMT, Monogram kits unless I see a nuymber of good reviews.

that said I have this General Lee in the stash, and the 80's chile in me does not wanna part with it, so it may become part of the 'collection' not the 'to build pile'

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #34 by Gary
The fit itself isn't bad but the casting is clumpy especially with the chromed stuff, I stripped the chrome from the moldings but even then the gates are HUGE, most of the gates are 5mm with some of them over 10mm in size. Where there should be a locating pin often you will find a huge chunk of plastic that needs to be trimmed to resemble a pin. The interior of the car is actually from the old Nascar model with some minor detail added to make it look like something off the show. I suppose if anything it is more like the car they used for the stunts than the car that the Duke brothers "actually drove".
Normally I love the old AMT, Monogram kits (especially the latter) I have a fairly large collection of Monogram kits and consider them in some cases to be more accurate than the newer models, when newer examples actually exist. For kits like the 1/48 B-24, B-29, B-17 they are the only examples available (the newer Revell kits of the B-24 and B-17 are still the old kits). The best ones being the Promodeller upgraded versions which often had some really nice updates added.
AMT, MPC etc are still the only way to get good Star Wars kits of the old favorites, and again these can be built up to a stunning degree of detail with some minor additions.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #35 by Gary
As promised some in progress shots, the engine was nice to build, was a pig to clean up like the rest of the kit but came out ok.

Still got a wee way to go, I can't spend too much time on it as I get frustrated by hour poor the construction is, I could of gone all Boss Hogg on it and made it a lot better but its just not worth the extra work in my opinon.

More
5 years 9 months ago #36 by Nosferatu
I Like It!!! You're doing an awesome job!! I hope I can get even remotely close to that with mine! Good Job!! :cheer:

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #37 by Michaels Models
Replied by Michaels Models on topic The General
Looking good.

The size must be good to work with apart from the clean up side of things.

Cheers
Michael

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

More
5 years 9 months ago #38 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic The General
Looking very good.
I do like a lot Gary :-)
LOL imagine doing 8 or so of these in a dio as Andrew said, it would do ya head in if they were all as bad as you say :whistle:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #39 by Gary
It's done and I tore up the box and put it in the recycle bin (it's kind of a victory dance thing), these are just some quick bench photos with the point and shoot camera so the colours aren't quite as they are etc. The chrome detail work around the windows and door trim is bare metal foil, it's the first time I've used this before and I must say I was very impressed with how it went on, fiddly but the end result looks good in my opinion.

I must admit I'm happier with the end result than I thought I'd be, the roll bar is bloody ugly and if I'd realised where it was going to end up I might of made some adjustments, having said that it's exactly where it shows it is on the box photos so I don't feel too bad.

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Gary.

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago #40 by Michaels Models
Replied by Michaels Models on topic The General
Nice shiny finish :cheer:

The roll cage shape is not very flattering.

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

More
5 years 8 months ago #41 by Nosferatu
nice finish Gary! :cheer:

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
5 years 8 months ago #42 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic The General
nice job there g1...the general looks pdg to me.
nice organized and tidy paint racks you got there too m8

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
5 years 8 months ago #43 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic The General
Well done for getting it across the line, matey. Must admit I thought it may get binned a couple of pages back... So what's next ??

Ian

More
5 years 8 months ago #44 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic The General
Very nice Gary :)
That roll cage does not really hug the roof does it,but hey ;)

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago #45 by Gary
Not a lot can be done about it, that's just the the way it is, I checked all the other 1/16 builds out there and they are all the same.
I'm more pleased with the overall finish including the chrome work and shiny body to worry too much about the roll cage, it's a dog of a kit but I like it now it's finished.

More
5 years 8 months ago #46 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic The General
Well done Gary. Looks good in the pix you've posted.

Regards
Steve

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago #47 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic The General
Nice smooth paint job there. Certainly looks very much like the General I remember from youf. :)

Is the open engine area prototypical i.e. did the stunt cars have a lot of excess panels and bits and pieces removed as weight savings?

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago #48 by Gary
The kit appears to be based on a NASCAR variant so I'm guessing that this was why there are so many "missing" parts. I prefer to think of it as the stunt version used during the filming rather than the one seen being driven by the actors ;) .
I'd definitely build another General Lee as the subject appeals to me and the paint I have is a perfect match at least to my eyes, I just wouldn't make another one of these kits. The size and scale is awesome but it would take too much to make it better and I personally don't have the attention span required to do this :)

Moderators: Andrew