AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Webby_NZ
  • Webby_NZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
6 years 4 months ago #1 by Webby_NZ
AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ was created by Webby_NZ
Ok, little late but I have been having some PC issues at home so this is being done at work under the guise of 'documentation' :-)

2/2/14
Ok, this kit that you (im talking to the people that voted for this kit in particular :) ) voted for

Everything out of the box for the first time. Parts bagged together by colour, except for the wheels and clear parts :angry: which are free roaming.

Most impressed with the tires on a kit of this age and, well lets face it, an AMT kit.

The glass, not so much. This is what happens when it is not even bagged. :angry:

Chrome looks ok.

But will look better after a Simple Green bath.

Black parts, including exhaust which I would have expected on the chrome tree.

Some nice texturing on the roof, door panels etc.

One piece chassis

Beige parts

Texture makes a welcome appearance on the seats

And door trim. Engine could be better but some wiring and shiny covers will hide that

If you are wondering how big this is, well on the left is a 1/24th scale R8 and on the right a 1/32nd Fiesta RS

In fact you can get the other 2 under the body of the Cobra :dry:

Decals and generic AMT instructions

Decals look to have survived but cant be certain till its time to use them. I will probably copy these for masking templates just in case something goes wrong or I decide I dont want white stripes.

And thats the "unboxing" done.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 4 months ago #2 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
3/2/14
Right, first things first, time for a bath (dont ya love the brush)

Once washed they are rinsed and left like a tipi to dry.

4/2/14
Spoons have been sprayed with some sample colours (Mintaire Leather, Citrus, Pumpkin and Bark) which will then have a variety of candy like coats to find the right paint job for this.
(sorry no pics)

Hopefully this long weekend (im taking Friday off like so many other people) ill have some more progress

Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 4 months ago #3 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
I'm looking forward to seeing this come together Reon, even though I didn't vote for it :P :whistle:

D1

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #4 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
Yes I like this already. Every time I've tried to get one of these 1:16 AC's they're either as rare as rocking horse poo, or stupidly expensive !! - Don't know how you're planning to 'finish' it but I'd advise painting the Shelby stripes yourself as opposed to using the decals. More effort but makes a huge difference, speaking from the experience of doing it a couple of times on past GT350 builds I've done.

Ian
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by IAN.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 4 months ago #5 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
Im looking forward to seeing this too...glad to see my vote helped...whats the final color going to be...polished metal?, blue maybe?...got a few of these beasts running around here, all blue or shades thereof with either white or silver grey stripes....oooooh they look and sound sweeeeeet m8.

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 4 months ago #6 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk
Attachments:

More
6 years 4 months ago #7 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
Very Very cool car, looking forward to checking this out as you progress :woohoo:
What Craig said LOL
Dave

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #8 by Webby_NZ
Ok, so almost a month after last update :blush: im back with an update after finally getting the photos off my camera.

The first job was to try and find the primary colour for the body which will also carry through to other parts of the car so here are some 'test spoons' with various paints including house Of Kolour, Badger Minitaire, Vallejo Model Air and even some stuff from the craft section of spotlight.

Chrome parts into the simple green (i know; its yellow :) )

There are some pretty nasty seams and flash on this that need dealing to.

Alclads primer and microfiller is great for showing anything missed in the sanding and cleanup stage .

The alignment on the engine and transmission show the age and quality of this AMT kit.

Always a good look when the chrome comes off, nothing warm water and an old toothbrush cant fix.

Body fully primed, i think i was 90% happy with the cleanup at this point.

Engine etc assembled, some parts only test fitted. This is one part where the larger scale makes things easier.

Chassis and steering all together, again the fit shows how far we have come with model kits.

Engine primed

Everything primed and mocked up.

The 2 part shocks are simply awful

Engine paint underway, as you may have guessed I have settled on a body colour. Badger Minitare Copper Coin

While waiting for the layers to dry I found a simple solution to keep the paint from drying out. The Copper has a drop of Badgers retarder in there as well.

Exhaust Drilled out, even though there will be a tip on them I could leave them as they were.

Some good progress has the brakes on, the raditors on, and the engine mounted.

With something this big it would be criminal not to get some wiring in.

Who else rembers Coolio from the 90's :cheer:
The sinker helps keep everything settled while glue dries.

Done

These great tube shaped tweezers are great for keeping cables under controller while i strap em together.

Body fully primed

To be continued

Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Webby_NZ.

More
6 years 1 week ago #9 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
Hmmm, not a 'Ford Blue' block, didn't see that coming. Looks very 'Stealthy' in that dark primer.... I like stealthy :evil:

Ian

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #10 by Webby_NZ
Ok, so ive been slow on the updates. So slow its caused a break in the space time continuium and this GB now goes till 1 October :silly:
This build has begun to sap my mojo like almost no other before it, as there is no one problem just a series of fustrations of both mine and moreso the kits doing.
But before we get to twhat maybe the end, how bout some more WIP pics.

Into the 'trunk' with some watered down pva

Onto that goes a generous helping of flocking. At the time the Martha Stewart Crafts Flocking Powder from ebay was the cheapest option and still serves well.

Once it dries and the excess was dusted off the effect is perfectly adequate

Body primer time, after ranting and raving about how bad the white AK primer was I thought id try the black and I have to say, its good.
Once that is dry, which to be sure was 4 days in this case, a quick wet sand with 8000 grit polishing pad.

First coat of colour misted on. Status hopeful.

Dashboard

Interior flocked as above and parts fitted to 'trunk' including some wires for the battery under the clamp.

The best feature of this kit so far has to be the seats, they are well moulded and the detial looks really good.

Seats painted and touched up with new favorite tool, microbrushes. Dont waste money on the expensive ones, check ebay for micro dental brushes Like these

And thats where it sits, and where the fustration kicked in when trying to fit the doors etc and the dashboard decals etc.
I might be able to recover the dash but the doors are evil, the hinges are massive and leave the doors flopping round so if I continue with this ill probably glue the doors in solid and then just fix the 'bonnet and boot' hinges. It will also get rid of the massive hinges from the interior of the car.

More
5 years 10 months ago #11 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
Very Cool! Love that Flocking for the interior...Looks fantastic!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
5 years 10 months ago #12 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
Me too. A real eye opener as I'd never seen it done before. (SO THAT'S HOW THEY DO IT) Sad I know, but there you go. A non blue block is also a surprise, but this looks like a custom restoration, far too nice for the original. Great colour choices too. Watching closely.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
5 years 10 months ago #13 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
Wow that's looking good.

More
5 years 10 months ago #14 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic AMT Shelby Cobra 427 1/16 - Webby_NZ
Looks darn good to me and, as you say, those seats are just spectacular.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Moderators: Andrew