Road & Track - Our Wheels 1900 - 1999 Group Build

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • 1/35th Battalion
  • 1/35th Battalion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #1 by 1/35th Battalion
Road & Track - Our Wheels 1900 - 1999 Group Build was created by 1/35th Battalion
Due to the Underwhelming interest expressed in the Cold War Vehicles GB :pinch: your trusty management team has decided to cancel that theme and offer something perhaps of greater interest as a new Group Build theme. B) Due to lateness of advance notice for this GB, the build will now start on February 1st 2014.

OK, so due to some insightful input we have changed the title (Several times :P ) and broadened the overall scope of this build.

$5.00 entry fee and 6 month build time. Open to ALL Scales.

This Group Build will include all Cars and Light Commercial Vehicles built from 1900 to 1999
This build will allow any model of a car or light commercial vehicle that fits into the time frame. Anything - Standard Production, Performance, Hot Rods, Race Cars, Prototypes, Vans, Utes/Pickups, Off-Roaders, Movie or TV Series identities Except Cartoons . . . The motor vehicle has been at the forefront of creating the world as we now know it so lets show our appreciation of that.
THE MAJOR RULE: These vehicles must have actually existed, even as stage props, or as originally manufactured, and we would like to see evidence of that for the vehicle/vehicles you are entering for this GB. Perhaps a variety of photos in your initial build thread. We'd like to stretch your research skills too :evil: :whistle:
Other than that, how you present your finished work is entirely up to you!

Let us know your thoughts here.

Cheers
David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #2 by Gary
To be honest mate I think we should let people go wild with their imaginations on this one, hell we've all wanted that dream Rod at one point or another.
That's the whole thing about muscle cars, it's about expressing yourself in the machine, there's no point in cloning someone elses work, just my humble opinion....

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #3 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Road and Track - Performance Cars of the 20th Century GB
Yowser Guv, opinion noted, and a fair call too - changes made to the original post :whistle:

D1

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
6 years 5 months ago #4 by eyepaule
This might fit in the with build Steve and myself were going to do. He hasn't told me the subject yet though!

Paul

More
6 years 5 months ago #5 by Viperbuilder
We are "booked in" for a 1 June start / 30 November finish for our group build of racing tin-tops (oops...and open wheelers too now) Paul. Now that I've committed to a couple of aircraft builds in the December - May time frame there is no way I can also build a car too in that time. It's a little different for you though at present because you could possibly fit a car in unless of course you opt to do a Phantom in the current Jet build?

Reading through David's post I think he is writing too many rules into what he is proposing (off-putting to potential participants). The golden rule should be to keep it simple (KIS). In an environment where there are so few car modellers the emphasis should be one of encouragement to get these guys building online. Really, a car group build right now should be an open theme to see how many car modellers can actually make it to the show. My suggestion: Any car type, any period and see how many turn up. We have one car build currently online that is just starting. Let's allow that to be the first entry in a Dec to May time frame. Let all other potential car modellers choose whatever car they want to build and join in. A pragmatic approach has a lot going for it.

I'm sure you would like to pull another car model from your stash and start on that in the Dec to May timeframe...maybe one you already have the aftermarket parts for?

I also have a view that Group Builds should be nominated from the "cyber floor" and voted on by the willing participants. That way you get maximum buy in from the pool of participants. We all have our views and I've shed mine. Let's hear from others on the subject and see what we all think?

Steve

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #6 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Road and Track - Performance Cars of the 20th Century GB
Thanks for the input Steve. I can see where you suggest that I may have been putting in too many rules and Yes, that could have been read that way, so some further edits to the original post have ensued :P
In my opinion, if you're going to have a competition, then some boundaries and general rules need to be set otherwise it becomes open slather and anything goes.
One could just as well have a build for any aircraft that ever flew, or all armoured vehicles of the 20th century which may well encourage more participation but makes the whole of judging so much more difficult. Reasonable boundaries allow for a more readily judged group of entries, in my humble opinion. It has worked relatively well here in recent years. Yes, I do appreciate that we are trying to encourage greater participation, but I don't think open slather is the key to success in that either. But Hey, that's just me. Always open to others ideas :) As some may note, I have made changes due to the input so far.

Keep those ideas coming folks . . . :cheer:

David

On the Bench:

More
6 years 5 months ago #7 by Tiger
I could be in for this if its kicking off in Feb.
I have not built a car kit for what seems a life time, might make a nice change.
For sure to be a 70's muscle car too, Big Block V8 nice :woohoo:
Tiger

More
6 years 5 months ago #8 by Viperbuilder
Thanks for the acknowledgement David. It's good to understand your thinking on this.

My comments were based on the fact that there is a dearth of participating car modellers on this forum. I haven't seen any posts or surveys on KM that has ever unveiled the number of car modellers that view KM or what their building/collecting interests are in cars, but I stand to be corrected. Car modellers appear to have stayed away from KM most likely because their interests are better catered for elsewhere. To attract those modellers to KM there needs to be something that will draw them to this site and then continue to maintain their interest. This logic goes for the other modelling interests as well.

Persuading Paul to join KM with his builds was the first part in a greater plan to provide KM with a further drawcard in an undeveloped area. Next year I hope to be able to introduce a few more people as contributors but not lose sight of the object to get more local viewers to come out of the woodwork and also participate. We want KM to be the go-to site for NZ modellers.

I'm not sure that "open slather " is the correct way to describe an open category to build to. Open choice would better describe this. In terms of judging, a model is being judged on how well it is presented in a series of images taken by the participant. A lot relies on how well the participant can photograph his/her model and what can be seen by viewers from those images. What type of car that is built has little relevance so there is little difficulty in judging a particular vehicle type. When KM has sufficient car modellers at its call then introducing specific categories of car building for fun competitions would then be appropriate in my view.

From my observations of retail sales of car kits one category stands out from all others in terms of numbers sold. These are the American hot rods and muscle cars. Don't ask me why but I guess this is what TV and the sound of V8s does for people out there.

Anyway, my comments are all meant as constructive criticism and observations with a view to increasing KM's relevance to the modellers out there in NZ.

Steve

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
6 years 5 months ago #9 by Gary
How about this as a title Cranes, Trains and Automobiles :) sorry couldn't helpt that..........
I think you both make some interesting points to consider, I'm trying to stay fairly neutral, it's all part of detaching myself from doing it all which isn't healthy for me or the site. This is Dave's baby, but I like your reasonsing Steve and in the grand scheme of things it's good to see there are people out the with the same things in mind as us. I think Dave's keeping the decisions fairly flexible until nearer the time of the actual Group Build so keep your ideas coming everyone, just keep it real.

Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 5 months ago #10 by eyepaule
O.k.. Not wanting to push buttons, but just thinking how I can fit something into my life of cluster @#$%. Good to see the comments anyway guys.

I'd like to squeeze something from my closet in for the comp. Can't guarantee I'd finish it though, but would give it a shot. I'm thinking a curbside Le Mans racer. When I look in my wee stash I have 60's to 80's right now. Would love an excuse to get a 956 underway maybe. Can't believe there isn't one of those in my cabinet. Gosh!

Paul

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #11 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Road and Track - the 20th Century Car GB
NOTE Significant changes to the original post. An OPEN BUILD is now mooted, within given restrictions. SEE page one, first post.

D1

On the Bench:

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
6 years 5 months ago #12 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic Road and Track - the 20th Century Car GB
Work has kept me forum less for a few days so I wont even comment on previous ruls/comments etc, except to say id be in for a auto build, even if its wide open with the rules saying something like ' road and track' leaving it open to any production or race car/truck/bike, which could be restricted by an era if need be.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #13 by Michaels Models
Replied by Michaels Models on topic Road and Track - the 20th Century Car GB
Sweet count me in... now what do I want to build?

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

More
6 years 5 months ago #14 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Road and Track - the 20th Century Car GB
It's good to see some willing participants for the car build and I'm looking forward to following the builds in due course.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #15 by Michaels Models

Viperbuilder wrote: willing participants.

We (well me any way) have been wating patiently lol

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

More
6 years 5 months ago #16 by Viperbuilder
Do you think you will have your '32 Ford finished by the time the upcoming car group build comes along? :)

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
6 years 5 months ago #17 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Road and Track - the 20th Century Car GB

Viperbuilder wrote: It's good to see some willing participants for the car build and I'm looking forward to following the builds in due course.

Hey Steve, was hoping you would be part of the builds, not just sat on the sides watching ;)

More
6 years 5 months ago #18 by Viperbuilder
Hey Gary

You haven't been reading my posts completely. I'm currently building an aircraft in the Jet group build and am entered to build another jet in the same six month time frame. Then there is my two jobs that I need to earn a living from and my chores around home. If you can find me the time to build another model in the next six months that would be great. :) Will you be dragging out the Panoz and building that to completion in the February car group build as well as your aircraft?

As I've said all along, I'll do my car build in the May to November time frame (with Paul). The intention is to have it completed before the 2014 Armistace Show.

I'll throw out a challenge to you to have yourself a completed car model that you build between now and the Armistice Show. Are you up for that? :P

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #19 by Michaels Models

Viperbuilder wrote: Do you think you will have your '32 Ford finished by the time the upcoming car group build comes along? :)

I am not a big fan of having more then 1 kit on the go so I guess I should be my butt into gear lol

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

More
6 years 5 months ago #20 by Gary
I did read all your posts and I saw what you were saying, but the way your were haggling for the Auto build I assumed you were entering it as well, I've seen Arabs that don't negotiate that hard....... :D
If I could find a Panoz LMP I would build one but I'll just settle for building one of the rods I've got in the stash that I was intending to use in the GB anyway.
Just buid faster Steve, you got no kids or wife to take up your time you should be able to bang out a huge amount of kits a year :P

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #21 by Viperbuilder

Gary wrote: I did read all your posts and I saw what you were saying, but the way your were haggling for the Auto build I assumed you were entering it as well, I've seen Arabs that don't negotiate that hard....... :D
If I could find a Panoz LMP I would build one but I'll just settle for building one of the rods I've got in the stash that I was intending to use in the GB anyway.
Just buid faster Steve, you got no kids or wife to take up your time you should be able to bang out a huge amount of kits a year :P

Well it's important that the playing field is fit to play on before one goes out to play on it. No point in playing by yourself; you need a few friends to play with to have fun.

Build faster...Yeah right! (Tui's billboard)

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Viperbuilder. Reason: abc

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #22 by RossMack
Replied by RossMack on topic Road and Track - the 20th Century Car GB
I'd be a shoe-in if not for a bunch of other kits needing done, and two other GBs going elsewhere.
The 1:20 Senna McLaren and Mansell's Ferrari would squeak in under the wire.

yiC

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by RossMack. Reason: Swapped names, for right cars.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
6 years 5 months ago #23 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Road and Track - the 20th Century Car GB
I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll probably jump in with this one too :woohoo:

I've got a 1/25 1956 Ford F100 that I'll build for this

I really like Chip Foose's F100 that they did on Overhaulin' so will base it on similar

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Attachments:

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #24 by Michaels Models

Andrew wrote: I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll probably jump in with this one too :woohoo:

I've got a 1/25 1956 Ford F100 that I'll build for this

I really like Chip Foose's F100 that they did on Overhaulin' so will base it on similar

Very nice but don't think you can???

1/35th Battalion wrote: This Group Build will include all CARS built from 1900 to 1999

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Michaels Models.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
6 years 5 months ago #25 by Andrew

Michaels Models wrote: Very nice but don't think you can???

1/35th Battalion wrote: This Group Build will include all CARS built from 1900 to 1999
This build will allow any model of a car that fits into the time frame. Anything - Standard Production, Performance, Hot Rods, Race Cars, Prototypes, Vans, Utes/Pickups, Movie or TV Series identities Except cartoons . . .

B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
6 years 5 months ago #26 by Gary
I think we can adjust this, the GB hasn't started yet and I know some of the admins ;)

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
6 years 5 months ago #27 by Andrew
How about

"Road and Track - The 20th Century Automobile GB"

B)

More
6 years 5 months ago #28 by Gary
That sounds like an awesome title, or how about "100 years of the Automobile 1914 - 2014"

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
6 years 5 months ago #29 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic Road and Track - the 20th Century Car GB

Gary wrote: That sounds like an awesome title, or how about "100 years of the Automobile 1914 - 2014"

Including 2 wheels as I have a large Harley wanting to be built :-)

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #30 by Michaels Models

Andrew wrote:

Michaels Models wrote: Very nice but don't think you can???

This build will allow any model of a car that fits into the time frame. Anything - Standard Production, Performance, Hot Rods, Race Cars, Prototypes, Vans, Utes/Pickups, Movie or TV Series identities Except cartoons . . .

B)

Sorry I must stop skim reading, thought the date gap was 1990 to 1999 lol

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

Moderators: Andrew