Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
2018 is the Centenary of the formation of the Royal Air Force on the 1st of April, 1918. The build will run until February 1st 2019 and is open to any scale and any subject that represented the RAF, including aircraft, ground vehicles and equipment, or RAF personnel.
Ideally the model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build, but kits that have been part started can be entered at the discretion of the group build leader.
The build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues or the current state of the build at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread.
There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is always welcome.
Entrants who complete a build, post their completed pictures and reside in New Zealand will enter a draw to win a prize (Prize to be advised; one draw entry per person; entrant must reside in New Zealand to qualify for entrance in to the prize draw).
  • Page:

TOPIC: RAF 100 GB: Terry's HK Models 1/32 Mosquito Mk.XVI 109 Sqn.

RAF 100 GB: Terry's HK Models 1/32 Mosquito Mk.XVI 109 Sqn. 2 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Terry
  • Terry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 221
As the title suggests I'm going to make a RAF 109 Squadron Pathfinder Mosquito flown by Kiwi Fl/Lt Alfred Relph DFC. There is a back story to Alfred's Mosquito. I'm going to depict the model in flight as he flew on a daylight raid on the Essen Eickel oil refinery (Ruhr district), where he was hit by flak over the target, had the port engine knocked out, and the other engine only having a maximum of half throttle available. He used his 28,000 ft. of height to use a power assisted glide back to the coast of England. Luckily no German fighters were encountered. Steadily losing height they came into sight of the English coast (5 to 10 miles) at which point he thought they would either have to ditch the aircraft either in the surf or the beach because there was insufficent power to fly inland. To land in the surf would not have been a good choice because his navigator could not swim! As they approached closer to land he could see a grassy area above the cliffs, and if they could make it, would enable a belly landing. Seconds after clearing the cliff with speed now down to stalling point they skidded to a stop on the grass all without injuries. Turns out this grassed area was an emergency landing drome for aircraft in trouble! Nothing like a happy ending.

If I manage to crank through this build above quickly enough I will be doing another 109 Sqn Oboe equipped Mossie Mk.IX ("Grim Reaper") flown by Kiwi Sqn/Ldr Keith Boles DFC. I might even build them both co-jointly. Keith was one of ten Kiwi pilots on the squadron and in true AVM Bennett fashion individual scores were kept as well as distance from target. His best was 17 yards from bullseye from 30,000ft. Cracking good shot! He is one of the very few Oboe pilots alive today.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Terry.

RAF 100 GB: Terry's HK Models 1/32 Mosquito Mk.XVI 109 Sqn. 2 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 411
Awesome subject and story. Look forward to seeing this progress.

RAF 100 GB: Terry's HK Models 1/32 Mosquito Mk.XVI 109 Sqn. 2 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Planecrazy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
What an interesting story...I will be watching this one as it progresses...

RAF 100 GB: Terry's HK Models 1/32 Mosquito Mk.XVI 109 Sqn. 2 months 2 weeks ago #4

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1549
And what a model to build too!!!! Watching watching....

Amateur plastic surgeon!

RAF 100 GB: Terry's HK Models 1/32 Mosquito Mk.XVI 109 Sqn. 2 months 2 weeks ago #5

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 96
Goodness me, what a glutton for punishment! TWO 1/32 Mossies? :ohmy:
Great topic and background story. Bring it on!

RAF 100 GB: Terry's HK Models 1/32 Mosquito Mk.XVI 109 Sqn. 2 months 1 week ago #6

• Terry
  • Terry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 221

F1xena wrote: Goodness me, what a glutton for punishment! TWO 1/32 Mossies? :ohmy:

I actually plan to make THREE Oboe Mosquitos (one might say I really like them!) but not all in 1/32. So yes glutton is apt :P The other Mossie I mentioned above will be 1/72 using a Tamiya kit as a base with Attack Squadron two stage Merlin set. However, the third Mossie I would like to do, ideally would be in 1/32 but that's another story for another day.

• Page: