2018 is the Centenary of the formation of the Royal Air Force on the 1st of April, 1918. The build will run until February 1st 2019 and is open to any scale and any subject that represented the RAF, including aircraft, ground vehicles and equipment, or RAF personnel.
Ideally the model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build, but kits that have been part started can be entered at the discretion of the group build leader.
The build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues or the current state of the build at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread.
There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is always welcome.
Entrants who complete a build, post their completed pictures and reside in New Zealand will enter a draw to win a prize (Prize to be advised; one draw entry per person; entrant must reside in New Zealand to qualify for entrance in to the prize draw).
Modellers law says I'll only spot the obvious mistake when finished. Codes on portside back to front. Should read L-HS. DOH! I've got no spare decal fuselage roundel so it stays like this I suppose. Bugger.
Wow those serials came out nice and sharp, glad they worked out for ya mate. Happy to cut another set if you want them reversed, can also do circles for roundel masks if you need.
On that base it looks bloody awesome mate you should be very happy with that, did you use Propblur props or make your own?
Thanks for the kind offer G. You must have had a premonition I'd screw it up because you sent me a pair of spare masks. So I'm good to go to do a repair with the exception of the roundels. I've emailed HK Models asking for a spare roundel decal. If they hang me out to dry I'll spray the roundels as a last resort.
The prop blurs were made by me. I cut the blades in half and glued clear styrene to them as described and shown in post #18, and airbrushed the blurs.
I'm really happy with the base, but my own mistake with the serials has really taken the gloss off the build right at the very last moment. Fixing screw ups always seems to take way longer which is also somewhat deflating, especially after having dropped the model a few weeks back snapping off one engine and badly damaging the other.... I thought all my woes were behind me after fixing that clusterfork! First world problems eh?!
Fritz wrote: How did you attach the clear rods to it?
On my post #20 you can see a pair of holes in the bomb bay doors. These holes were formed directly where kit indents on the inner face of the doors occurred. These indents are there I assume to aid removal of plastic for making a photo reconnaissance (PR) Mosquito. The holes were 8mm in diameter which happily was ideal for the pair of 8mm acrylic rods I had. I made a small frame in the top of the bomb bay to receive the rod ends to hold the model steady on the rods. (The rods project about 20mm into the bomb bay.)
In actual fact one rod was capable of holding the aircraft, but it was inclined to spin on one rod, so two rods were used for stability as well as an added safety factor. It's hit the floor once and I don't care to repeat that! The aircraft simply pulls off the rods for transport etc.
Update: Daniel at Hobbyeasy contacted HK Models direct for me and organised a replacement set of decals. That man deserves a medal, as do HK Models for their generosity. With luck it might be back on the bench in a fortnight for corrective surgery