2018 is the Centenary of the formation of the Royal Air Force on the 1st of April, 1918. The build will run until February 1st 2019 and is open to any scale and any subject that represented the RAF, including aircraft, ground vehicles and equipment, or RAF personnel.
Ideally the model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build, but kits that have been part started can be entered at the discretion of the group build leader.
The build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues or the current state of the build at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread.
There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is always welcome.
Entrants who complete a build, post their completed pictures and reside in New Zealand will enter a draw to win a prize (Prize to be advised; one draw entry per person; entrant must reside in New Zealand to qualify for entrance in to the prize draw).
And already have these in the box, so will use them as well
- Aires cockpit and wheel wells
- PP Aeroparts/Flightpath correction/update set
- DB Conversions resin wings
- Eduard Brassin AIM-9L Sidewinders
- Master Models pitot
- Armory wheels
- Various bits and pieces taken from the Revell kit
Aim is to try and build the model as ZD740/DA "Dhahran Annie" as she appeared during Granby, and before all her mssion markings were repainted.
Here’s the box of bits ready to try and turn in to an Operation Granby bomber. There are a bunch of useful parts from the Revell kit loose in the bottom. I discovered I had also previously removed the kit nosecone ready to replace with the PP Aeroparts corrected resin one.
This will be a ‘background’ build while I try and get my MS Type I and Hornet prototype models finished.
Here is a photo with Hasegawa sprues and aftermarket sets removed. Revell parts to be used, PP Aeroparts photoetch and DB conversions wings with extended slats and flaps. At some stage I also glued one set of droptanks halves partially, and opened the slots for the wings to be inserted after fuselage assembly.
I learnt a lot of things about this kit when I built the Italian one back in 2016, and will be applying many of the lessons and improvements learned from that one to this build, and refining it further in the areas I was not happy with last time.
I've been tinkering away with this in between working on the Hornet, and managed to make some progress.
Nose is assembled with the Aires tub fitted, the PP Aeroparts (now Flightpath) corrected radome added, Aires nose gear bay added, Revell refuelling probe glued to the Hasgegawa nose, drilled out the gun barrels, rescribed the panel lines on the bottom of the kit and fitted the clear LRMTS sensor fairing. The back of the Aires cockpit needed a little shimming as it was designed to fit the Revell kit.
Rear fuselage progressing as well. Aires wheel wells are in place, and have managed to rescribe detail on the port side (hence why there is only a tailplane on one side at present. I've also modified and fitted the under-fuselage pylons from a Revell kit as the Hasegawa ones are just 4 x 2s ( a few minor gaps I can see that will need filling). I've also opened up the vent in front of the port wheel well and another behind the starboard wheel well which Hasegawa provides as black decals so a little too 2D for me. I've also started adding the PP Aeroparts details around the exhaust openings, and added the antennae on the tailfin from the Revell kit, and glued the speedbrakes closed.
Started working on getting the resin wings ready to attach last night and ended up doing a complete 180°. The resin wings are not very clean and due to thin edges, quite warped in some places. Thinking I can do it better, and having two sets of Hasegawa Tornado wings I set about making my own dropped flaps and slats wing set. It was then I discovered that Hasegawa has the flap hinge lines in completely the wrong place and they are far too big. It now explains why I had so much trouble getting the decals to fit on the Italian Tornado I previously finished. It was only looking at photos to determine how the flaps dropped that I found out the issue.
So fast forward and I have a pair of wings with the upper wing surfaces corrected, the flaps and slats removed ready to use the second wing set to create the slats and flaps.
It was at that time I read some info that caused me to go back and look at images from Operation Granby. Apparently due to the sand and grit, RAF Tornados in the Gulf were parked with the slats and flaps retracted to prevent grit in the gears and mechanisms.
With no further Hasegawa wings spare, I am now using a set of Revell wings and will build the jet with slats and flaps retracted. All is not lost as I will send the modified wings to Phase Hangar Resin to release a set of corrected wings with slats and flaps for the Hasegawa kit, and I will use a set on my second Italian Tornado. Now back to the bench.
Putting this one on hold for now, and may not get back to it before the GB finish date. I have two other models I am trying to get finished, which for me, have priority. One is the MS Type I for the 100th anniversary of Armistice, and the other is still under wraps, but one I am keen to try and finish in the next 3 months, in time for Nats. The Tornado will detract from available time, so needs to be moved down the priority list.