January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
K2's ODS - Trumpeter 1991 US Missouri 1/700 **FINISHED**
Not the greatest pics here... but this is what I've got at the moment.
I pre-shaded and painted the hull. I attempted to get some streaking in and down the hull. I have achieved this, but the pics don't show it too well. Will come to life a bit more once I do some post effects.
Same has been done with the top section, pre-shading and initial layer of paint has gone on. I have yet to paint the non-slip sections of the deck (all the deck looking down basically) Hopefully be able to get this done tonight...
A couple of pics..
Still have yet to do the "black stripe" down this yet - Will also be done tonight
So subtle you can hardly see it - in the pics... it's hard to photograph without a proper booth
Couple of phone pics - I have painted these (this is pre-shading stage) since these pics have been taken
Hull was already in red. But too bright of a red... not the dull red you need
I've been thinking about it all day, and I'm going to give it some grime and rust washes to try and bring out something in the hull... But this will be different to what I'm normally used to doing, so clear coat it tonight, and have a practice at enamel washes... not something I am used to... and hopefully don't wreck it.
That's taken shape really nicely mate and looks great even in 700 scale.
I haven't forgotten about the pics I mentioned before... but it's just that there is 300+ that need to be sorted through first, then resized.
It's been only been 2 years since I took them... but I will get around to it at some point.
It was very much a case of commenting before thinking.
Also have to sort through my PIMA pics as well of which there are more than twice as many.
Ah not a problem VD Wouldn't stress about it too much mate, I think I would have most of it done before you get through it all haha. Maybe some mainly of the rigging would be nice... If I have the patience to stick with it haha.
Got the grey colours down, pretty happy with the results. Now just to touch up the parts where I couldn't mask (In hindsight, I would have done things a bit differently, and will be looking at that the next time I build a ship!), so hopefully should turn out alright.
This is it mocked up with the bow section of the wooden deck in there. Not in properly, but you can see how it will look. I'm pretty happy with it, looks a lot better than I would be able to do by myself.
Sorry for the phone pics. Was done at about 11 last night, well past my bed time.. Didn't want to use flash as it just looks wrong.
I had a quick browse through the album and picked out some of the better external shots that show the rigging and secondary armaments for painting and rigging references.
There isn't a hell of a lot of rigging on the Iowa but that may be due to the fact that it was very much a restoration in process and probably still is.
The most prominent appears to be the vertical lines that hang down from the yard arms above the bridge superstructure and the link between the two upper masts above both smoke stacks.
Yeah I've since corrected the post after having another look at it. There are subtle differences between the two ships though as I'm sure there are between all four.
Not sure about the antennae as there are quite a few of them positioned both forward and aft on the upper superstructure.
NP, I'll try and pull my finger out and do the rest shortly but will make them a bit larger as some of the detail has been lost on resizing unfortunately.
I'd love to get the Iowa on 1/350 as well... better yet 1/200!
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Was actually really easy! There was no trimming required, and it came on a sticky backing, so didn't have to worry about trying to use the right glue, or lifting.. worked out great. Now I'm just bummed I didn't get railings... but oh well, railings can wait until I start working on 1/350