Operation Desert Storm 25th Anniversary

January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 years 6 months ago #91 by grover
Replied by grover on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Cheers guys, and yeah, I'm liking this plane more and more Bishop.

Just a little bit tonight. I had a look at the gaps where the 2 fuelsage halves met. Unfortunately I didn't spend enough checking the alignment before putting them together. There's hardley any gap but there is a little step between the 2 halves, and so I had started sanding that back. To make it a little easier and so I wouldn't end up sanding too much I decided to try a couple of different fillers. I used some of the Tamiya liquid surface primer, and some Perfect Putty. On the other side I thought if Phil's trick to use lacquer thinner to weld the joins together. Unfortunately, I don't have any lacquer thinner, but thought that Mr Hobby Levelling Thinner would work. It didn't really but it was worth a try.
File Attachment:

Of the other two, neither was perfect
File Attachment:

So I ended up putting a coat of Stynylrez primer on just to really see the gaps, see where I needed to spend the time and to help spot any other issues the black styrene was hiding.
File Attachment:

Hopefully back to the prep work tomorrow if I get time.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #92 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Looking good Grover
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

More
3 years 6 months ago #93 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
You're making good progress Kane. A good reminder I need to get back to my own Nightwhak project soon. Watching with interest.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #94 by grover
Cheers Tiger & Terry

Kane

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #95 by Marcus.Q1000859
Replied by Marcus.Q1000859 on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Coming together nicely Kane. I am looking forward to seeing how you approach the all black scheme. There will be a few of us looking for tips with the Bomber Command GB on the horizon.

I started building models, then I was collecting more than I built. Now I'm more of an archivist.

More
3 years 6 months ago #96 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Looking extremely neat.

Ian.

More
3 years 6 months ago #97 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Yes, looking very tidy. It looks to be Kane's best work to date. Like.

On the bench:
Revell 1-72 Hunter FGA.9

More
3 years 6 months ago #98 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Looking real nice Kane!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
3 years 6 months ago #99 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Looks good a lighter colour. Funny to think it will go all black again.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #100 by grover
Cheers guys. I hope I can live up to the expectations re the painting. And you're not wrong Bishop, there are shapes you just cant see in black, that suddenly come to when I sprayed it grey. I did for a second think about doing a "Have Blue" mockup

Kane
Attachments:

More
3 years 6 months ago #101 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Good work dude, hopefully the gaps, if any, aren't too much of a pain!

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
3 years 6 months ago #102 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Nice idea about Have Blue, but while they look similar the airframes are quite different, not just in size (have blue is about half the size of the f117). Sad story, they don't know where these ended up, 1 crashed flying out of area 51 and they supposedly just bulldozed earth over the crash site and didn't note where it was, the other probably got chopped up along with other black projects and shoved in a deep hole and buried. So we will most likely never ever see these again.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
3 years 6 months ago #103 by Bishop
Wow, it is an interesting history indeed. I was thinking more of a desert camouflage, but it has to be black to maintain the stealth of course.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #104 by CyNaKyL
Later on they did have a grey F-117, which was a test to see if they could be painted different colours without affecting the stealth aspect of it and from memory it didn't change the cross section by any noticeable amount. Early in testing they also had one painted in a camo scheme similar to the israeli scheme used on the Vipers and Eagles.
Pics below.

The camo scheme ones look photoshopped but are in fact real. They are confirmed by several pilots in one of the books I have read about them that they did have the scheme on one of the FSD airframes.

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by CyNaKyL.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #105 by grover
Thanks G2. I didn't realise the camo paint was actually a trial they thought about and year, very much Israeli like colours.

I decided to give the bottom another go over with primer as I find it hard to judge the surface just from feel.
File Attachment:

While I was at it, I also sprayed some of the other parts, knowing they would need clean up, but at least now I can see a bit more clearly how much clean up. It's going to be a bit of work getting all the parts ready for paint still.
File Attachment:

And the result of the priming of the underside of the fuselage is I need a lot more clean up there. Once I do sand everything back I may try some styrene filler. The perfect plastic putty comes out rather pitty / porous.

Kane
The following user(s) said Thank You: CyNaKyL

More
3 years 6 months ago #106 by Bishop
I really like the "Israeli" version. These are far more interesting than I thought.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #107 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117

grover wrote: Once I do sand everything back I may try some styrene filler. The perfect plastic putty comes out rather pitty / porous.

Great progress there Grover.
I've been thinking of trying out some styrene filler as well for the same reason - no matter how smoothly you sand it, regular filler/putty still absorbs paint more than the surrounding plastic and the finish of the primer coat looks patchy. I've just ordered some Tamiya Surface Primer (I've never used it before) to see if it 'seals' normal filler/putty prior to priming.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Powder.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #108 by grover
Cheers Powder and Bishop. It's interesting that a lot of things are assumed in any kind of endeavor that requires skill. It's assumed that you will know how to sand, know how to glue 2 parts together, know how to do a lot of simple stuff. You realise however after watching something be explained, and then when you try what was suggested and seeing all your struggle fade away, that actually being shown properly is a huge help. Just the confidence to go attack a piece of plastic confidently with a sander, or a brush or an airbrush really shows in the results. And this is how I found my sanding session today after watching a video on the subject. I was able to go in fix a lot of the problems I was having trouble with before, and this job doesn't seem to daunting now. All the seems are now smooth as.
File Attachment:

There's just a couple of areas I needed to give more attention. Actually, I probably could have gotten away with them as they are, but I figured while I was on a roll so to speak. I made this styrene filler mix last year. I've never really used it. Probably should have done some testing first but I think I got it in the places I needed it. Will see in the morning when I give it another sand.
File Attachment:

Kane

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
3 years 6 months ago #109 by CyNaKyL
Tamiya light curing putty doesn't seem to suffer the pitting/porous problem that plagues some other fillers (not that I have ever come across it myself before but hey ther is always a first time). It dries quickly when exposed to UV light and sands really well, almost like resin but nicer (?).

More
3 years 6 months ago #110 by Bishop
Watching how this goes. I have MR's version of this filler. Good for small gaps, so hopefully your version will work well.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #111 by grover
I'll find out how well it has worked tonight when I put on another coat of primer. Good thing about this build is that it doesn't matter if I lose some detail from the panel lines with too much primer.

I found my Vallejo putty today which was good timing. The join where you attached the tail find insert into the larger section required some attention.
File Attachment:

I'm going to prime the top tonight too so I gave it a wipe down with Iso to clear off any dust and oils. Hopefully it won't need any further preparation.
File Attachment:

Kane
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by grover.

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #112 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Nice work sorting out the various joins.
If you haven't tried it yet, I recommend Mr Surfacer 500 & 1000 applied with an old paint brush.
It's great for filling smaller joins and blending parts together, and wipes off easily with a cotton bud moistened in lacqer thinner.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #113 by grover
Cheers VD. I have some Mr Surfacer 1500. I used that but didnt look at wiping away the excess. I may try that. I just put on some more primer and there's still some areas that need clean up. So hard to see on black styrene.

Kane

More
3 years 6 months ago #114 by Bishop
It's not small is it. Really looking forward to the paint going on this. You've done a beautiful job of putting it together. All the filling and sanding. :S AFVs usually only mud and welds added.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 years 6 months ago #115 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
Good progress Kane. I used Perfect Putty on my F-117A and likewise found it to be grainy and almost sponge like in its ability to soak up primer and remain grainy. It also has an annoying amount of shrinkage if applied thick. Car bog beats it's hands down, especially if you like to stink the room out :sick: I'll probably stick to using car bog or hobby fillers in future, but I'm also keen to try out the styrene filler at some point.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 5 months ago #116 by grover
Thanks guys. Back to this now the Vanship is finished. I decided to paint the yellow band around the GBUs instead of using the decals, so I painted the area yellow.
File Attachment:

I didn't have any tape thin enough, about 2 mm, so I just cut some
File Attachment:

Then I gave them a good coat of Olive Drab.
File Attachment:

Im not too sure if I should weather them. Im thinking if I do it should be really light. I also wonder if I should have pre-shaded them? Any tips?

Kane

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #117 by Bishop
Weathering these could be a possibility as they would have been waiting around and would get scratched up with loading etc. The question really is how much you want to weather the plane, will it be used (active service sort of thing), or is it just on display? If that is the case then the weathering is really only to highlight things. Just thinking out aloud here. Very nice work spraying these up btw.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Bishop.

More
3 years 5 months ago #118 by Xtr3meNZer
Man... that is a much easier way of doing those stripes!! I always painted them afterwards... Really should have thought about doing it this way... hats off to you!

I don't know about the weathering side of things for weapons sorry dude. As Bishop said, depends on how you want it to be displayed?

More
3 years 5 months ago #119 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic ODS: Tamiya 1/48 F-117
When weathering LGBs, it's ok to weather the warhead (ie the bomb body) as these tend to be stored for quite some time, sometimes outside. Fading of the paint is ok, and depending on the environment rain streaking and at the most extreme a little rust around the lug wells. Some images of Vietnam era bombs show some quite heavy weathering. Modern bombs tend to be much tidier.

It's not appropriate to weather the GCS and Airfoil unit (nose and tail) as these are kept stored in hermetically sealed containers, and only fitted to the bomb body within a fairly short time (hours or days, not weeks or months) before loading. Also it is pretty common that the nose and tail are noticeably different colours to the bomb body.

On the point of porous primer, I find a light coat of extra thin CA seals porous putty quickly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop, grover, Xtr3meNZer

More
3 years 5 months ago #120 by Xtr3meNZer
Excellent advise thanks

Moderators: Andrew