January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
Great advice Phil. Cheers. And K2, don't do my mistake and make sure the tape you cut is the same width. Mine are slightly different and it's noticable side by side. Lucky there will be bomb bay doors between them
As Phil said, weather the body but not the head or tail. As to the aircraft, even in combat the F117 was kept pretty tidy, as anything left on the aircraft could ruin the stealth aspect. So they were usually kept pretty clean. It was only late in their career (post Bosnian conflict) that they weren't kept quite as tidy (but still fair tidier than most other combat aircraft).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop, grover
Thanks for all the advice. Muchly appreciated. I've now started adding colour to the other parts starting with some Tamiya Nato Black and some Vallejo Model Air Dark Grey Blue. I did use Model Air paints on my 2nd ever model, but I was still coming to grips with an airbrush and I couldnt tell you what it was like, but this time is was great to use. No smell like when I use Mr Color or Tamiya, goes on just as well. Unfortunately, and I think this is going to be the case for the rest of the build, the photo's wont really show anything. I sprayed the Nato Black as a base and then the Grey Blue over the top. They are quite close, in fact I was surprised how blue the Nato Black was when sprayed over a decent surface. Im actually thinking now I may use Black Stynylrez as a base and use these colours, and flat black to give the tonal variations.
As for the bombs, I've seen a few different colour configs of them, eg mostly green or with grey ends. Im going with green and then a copperish/brown area on the seaker head. I just need to find the colour and mask up. I thinking maybe something Citadel has could be worth a look.
Very hard to see but this is sprayed 2 different colours and I don't mean the front tail fin is different than the rear. This must be the hardest thing to capture on camera.
Looking at the parts this morning I painted, I'm rapt with the results. I thought the Dark Grey Blue would be too grey going on but it actually gives the impression of light-reflection. I can't wait to start painting the whole thing now. I was going to pre-shade but I don't think it's worth it on this kit.
Sorry for the blurry pictures. Phone had trouble focusing on the kit, even with laser autofocus. I supposed that's a good example of stealth
I brush painted on a burnt iron on the rear. Not too happy with the finish considering how everything I've heard says how well the Vallejo Metalics brush paint on. Probably technique and practice would help improve this.
I sprayed on a clear coat on the smaller parts tonight. Will see how that comes out, but I think I'm going to have to cut it back and do a 2nd. Tomorrow I'll clear the bottom of the fuselage so I can mask off the wheel wells & bomb bay to fix up any overspray.
Looking great mate... how many near misses have you had with those spines sticking out of the nose?
The burnt iron would probably look better airbrushed as they appear to be fairly large areas to cover.
Hopefully it's not too much of a hassle to redo it? Either way, awesome work so far.
After a bit more work on the paint, I decided it was time for a clear coat. I did rub the paint back with a cloth being careful around the corners as it was easy to get a shiny edge. I then squeezed my Tamiya spray stand into the weapons bay as I wanted to clear it all in one to reduce the risk of the clear pooling around edges. I'm still not 100% comfortable with clear coats. This one I decided to use Alclad's Klear Kote gloss as I have had better results with that in the past.
Leaving it to dry over night, the results aren't the best but hopefully good enough to decal over. I'll be leaving it for a couple of days to fully dry.
the good news is that my masking worked and none of the internal bays needs respraying. So I am just going to add another white coat to the parts and they will be ready to decal and assemble. I may even have a go at adding brake and hydro lines if I'm feeling brave.