Operation Desert Storm 25th Anniversary

January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

Italeri 1/35 M978 U.S. Heavy Fuel Tanker ***Finished***

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
3 years 8 months ago #2 by Bishop
:lol: Oh I don't know. If you added plenty of greeblies this could become a nice Pluto explorer, or Moon explorer etc.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Von Drinkoften
  • Von Drinkoften's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #3 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic Italeri 1/35 M978 U.S. Heavy Fuel Tanker ***Finished***
LMAO!! :lol: Yeah, could stand it on its arse and attach a couple solid rocket boosters. ;)

Would some kind sir please move this to the ODS build thread?

Thanking you muchly in advance. ;)

More
3 years 8 months ago #4 by Gary
Done

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Von Drinkoften

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #5 by Powder
There's plenty of photos on the web showing them in ODS so should be ok for the GB.
Most seem to be sandy coloured - but not all:
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HEMTT_after_Desert_Storm.JPEG
The camo pattern might even be the same as your box-art.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Powder.

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #6 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic Italeri 1/35 M978 U.S. Heavy Fuel Tanker ***Finished***
Thanks Gary.

Cheers for the link Powder but going to do it in the sand scheme. ;)
Just need to finish up on the Chieftain which isn't too far off now.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 years 8 months ago #7 by grover
Very cool and different VD.

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

More
3 years 8 months ago #8 by Bishop
But, but.... what about Mars???

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #9 by Von Drinkoften
Maybe next time Bish ;) :lol:

More
3 years 8 months ago #10 by Flying_Kiwi
Poor Matt Damon,.... no fuel now.... i like the look of that.. missing some wings tho

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #11 by grover

Bishop wrote: But, but.... what about Mars???

We could transfer it to the Sci-Fi Group Build?? :lol: ;)

Kane

More
3 years 8 months ago #12 by Bishop
No we can't he's already been booted out of there!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 8 months ago #13 by Andrew
Cool B) Will be watching on

I see Trumpeter has started on the HEMTT which the M978 is based on. Be interesting to see if they start bringing out all the variants

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
3 years 8 months ago #14 by grunzter
nice to see this get built, will be watching...

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #15 by Von Drinkoften
Thanks Grant, hope I can do it justice.

I scored some after market resin wheels for it but will need a bit of advice on how to remove the mould lugs on the bottoms.
I've given the parts trees a rinse. Looks to be a pretty straight forward build and a fairly decent size if the chassis rails are anything to go by....

I will be doing away with the kit wheels and may also need to look at getting some replacement decals

Hope to make a start on it over the weekend. :)
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Von Drinkoften.

More
3 years 8 months ago #16 by Powder

Von Drinkoften wrote: I scored some after market resin wheels for it but will need a bit of advice on how to remove the mould lugs on the bottoms.

I'd razor saw through the lug - as close as you feel comfortable getting to the tyre - then clean up with a file. The lugs should be under the weighted bulge in the tyre, so that's the part in contact with the ground and can't be seen. No need to repair the tread pattern - unless you're doing a diorama to copy the box art :)

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 8 months ago #17 by Andrew
Cool B)

You can deal to the pour lugs in a couple of ways. 1. Using a modelling saw. Cut the lugs with the saw, then sand/file the last part. 2. Use a bench mounted belt sander, basically sand them til the are gone. Either way, make sure you wear a mask. Resin dust is nasty stuff :sick:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
3 years 8 months ago #18 by Xtr3meNZer
Good luck! nice set of wheels you have there. I would suggest sawing them off, appears they're meant to be weighted, so if you cut them off, they bottoms will look flat... and weighted.. But being that I have never dealt with resin wheels before, I could be talking a whole lot of wrong lol.

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #19 by Von Drinkoften
Cheers guys... I recently acquired a miniature Tamiya razor saw so I hope it will do the business. ;)
Just not sure how to go about it as the wheels ended up more expensive than the kit lol and don't want to ruin them!!
It's going to be another learning experience for sure, but I'm guessing carve off the lugs away from the tread slightly, then file/sand down what remains.
My concern on doing that though is ensuring that it will sit level across all eight wheels. :S

I've got two different types of acrylic paint to check out for the US Desert Sand colour.
Either Italeri and AK.... will have a bit of a play to see which is best.

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #20 by Von Drinkoften
I made a start on this yesterday with the assembly of the chassis and almost immediately ran in to a problem.

I decided to attach the 3x sets of mounting brackets to both chassis rails as I figured it would put less stress on the frame when it came to drill out the locating holes than it would once assembled. The issue I encountered was that the guide holes for where you are supposed to drill are spaced slightly too far apart. I used a 0.8 mm drill bit in my pin vice which appeared to be the correct size, but there was no way I could line up both pins on the brackets to fit both holes.
The options were to drill one of the holes larger or remove the pins completely and line them up by eye.
I chose the latter as it also looked like the brackets were sitting too high as well. :s

It wasn't a big deal as it was a straight forward fix, but I felt it didn't set a good tone for the beginning of the build.
Then I remembered... it is an Italeri kit. :P

Next up was to attach the cross members and box off the chassis.

This was a real pain in the arse trying to get everything into position, and keep it square at the same time.
I found the best way was to use a dab of slow curing glue (Humbrol) and attach all the cross members to one rail then carefully line them up with the other side using tweezers to shunt them into position while the glue was still plyable.
It was frustrating in that it took a while, but I got there in the end and secured everything properly with faster drying Tamiya extra thin.

The suspension went on next and lined up perfectly with their pre drilled location holes on the chassis rails.... go figure.
Makes me wonder why they just didn't pre drill everything and be done with it. :dry:
With that done I left it overnight to cure properly.

This morning, on went the axels/differentials? which mounted to the suspension, along with the connecting drive shafts.
Getting the drive shafts into position was another pain in the arse as they tended to move the axels out of alignment.
Thankfully the glue hadn't cured fully so I was able to shunt them around a little until they slipped into position correctly.
Something to be wary of if anyone decides to build this kit.

So that's where I'm at now.
The next step is to start assembling what I'm guessing is the engine for the fuel pump that sits behind the cab, but think I will jump ahead and attach the remaining suspension braces beneath the chassis then plug the joins and gaps etc with some Mr Surfacer and give it a coat of primer.

To be continued... :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Von Drinkoften.

More
3 years 7 months ago #21 by Bishop
It's funny, sometimes these Italeri kits will go together well and others, yuck. Amazingly they were getting the scale of things right long before Tamiya did, but even now their kits have their moments. I saw the old old old Italeri Elephant (AFV) kit today and was tempted, but well, just too hard to be bothered with. Okay old kit, but the tracks alone are enough to make you go else wise. Nice save on the parts here.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 7 months ago #22 by Von Drinkoften
Yeah, I've built a number of Italeri 1/48 aircraft kits in the past and they've ranged from, so-so to bloody awful.
That was one of the main reasons I didn't want to tackle the Tornado kit for this group build.
Ho-hum... with the chassis frame and suspension done now, I hope the rest of the Tanker doesn't have any more surprises for me. ;)

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 7 months ago #23 by Andrew
Possibly not pre drilled as I imagine Italeri have several variants using/sharing sprues? Good save, cant wait to see the next update B)

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 7 months ago #24 by Von Drinkoften
Not much progress to show on this since my last update.

The fit of some of the suspension parts has been quite bad in places unfortunately and has sapped my enthusiasm in wanting to press on with it.
On the plus side, much of the chassis should be obscured as the build progresses with the addition of storage boxes, fuel tanks and wheel guards etc.
It's going to need a fair amount of Mr Surfacer to fill the joins etc, but I'm not going to go overboard when little will be seen of it anyway... I hope.

Here's what it should look like. :dry:

I can't really add anything else to the chassis now without making the job of painting it more difficult that it is already going to be.
So the plan is to prime it in black, then go over the black with a dark US Sand (probably Italeri acrylic) for a base coat, then go over that with the final beige sand colour.
For this, the instructions call out to use FS33531 Sand, which is more yellow than sand. :S
Instead, I'm now going to use either Ak122 (OIF & OEF U.S. Vehicles) or AK725 (New Iraqi Army Sand).

The storage boxes and fuel tanks etc will be painted separately and attached after the frame is finished.

For the cab interior I'm leaning towards using Tamiya XF71 Cockpit Green with maybe XF21 Sky for the seats.

Any feed back on these colour choices would be appreciated btw ;)

Anyway, that's how it stands at the moment. Still lots to do...

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #25 by Von Drinkoften
Has been slow going to date as the kit has been fighting me pretty much every step of the way. :blink:

A lot of the sub assemblies fit together with notches and tabs etc, but I found that in many instances the notches wouldn't line up with the corresponding tabs and vise versa. The fit of the top and bottom halves that make up the main fuel storage tank was pretty bad as well and needed a lot of filling and sanding to clean up the join.
I also found that this kit is riddled with sink marks all over the place which has required a fair amount of filling as well.
Some I've left and will use for assorted dents and damage etc.

Anyway, despite it's faults... it's slowly coming together and taking shape now.

I sprayed everything with Vallejo black primer and then gave the chassis and engine compartment parts a coat of Italeri 4812AP "Flat US Army Gulf Arm Sand". This is a very dark sandy yellow, but I think (hope) it will work well as a base for the AK122 to go over the top with as it is far lighter and looks more beige.
The cab interior has been sprayed Tamiya XF71 Cockpit Green and the seat cushions Tamiya XF21 Sky.
The clear windows have also been given a very light and heavily thinned coat of Tamiya X23 Clear blue to replicate the tinting that these vehicles appear to have.

The plan now is to get the engine compartment assembled and boxed off then finish detailing the cab interior and assemble that as well. :S
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Von Drinkoften.

More
3 years 7 months ago #26 by Bishop
Nice paint work. I wish I could do stuff as nicely as this. Hey, it's Italeri, of course it's fighting you all the way. Looking great though

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 7 months ago #27 by grover
Nice work VD. Great to see you pushing through. This is looking to build up to a great looking kit.

Kane

More
3 years 7 months ago #28 by grunzter
it will all be worth it in the end, soon to be pumping gas... :)

More
3 years 7 months ago #29 by Powder

Bishop wrote: Hey, it's Italeri, of course it's fighting you all the way.

I think they picked up all their 'bad habits' for kit design from Esci :)

Great progress there VonD.
How did the resin wheels & tyres work out - or are you still to tackle that job?

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 7 months ago #30 by Von Drinkoften
LMAO! Cheers guys. :lol:

In all honesty, the kit probably isn't all that bad. I've had my head up my arse building Tamiya tanks of late so there is no comparison in the quality.
For experienced builders... I'd imagine it would be fairly easy and no big deal working around issues as they arise.
So for this reason, I'm not going to bag the kit any more. But...Good quality? Not really.... Challenging?... yes. And that is a good thing when you step away and look at the overall picture I reckon.

I got the engine compartment blocked off yesterday but didn't make any progress on the cab interior.

Attachments:

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #31 by Von Drinkoften

Powder wrote: [How did the resin wheels & tyres work out - or are you still to tackle that job?

Lol... funny you mention that.

I haven't done anything with the resin wheels yet other than a rough test fit with the pour lugs still in position.
I have a sneaking suspicion though that I'm going to have to trim the shafts of the axles a fair bit if I want to use them.
But use them I must as the kit wheels are really bloody awful.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Von Drinkoften.

Moderators: Andrew