Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

Operation Desert Storm 25th Anniversary

January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

TOPIC: ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 7 months ago #31

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Marcus.Q1000859's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
Sweet. I'm going to fit the Legend ACES ll seat with the moulded belts. It's a bit of a fiddle as it doesn't come with rails so will use those from the kit. The seat pitots with the Legend seat are air bubble contaminated so will again use those from the kit. Because I am converting back to the 'A' I will be using the fixed seat pitots rather than the current extending type.

Are you going to build it as a HARM shooter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I started building models, then I was collecting more than I built. Now I'm more of an archivist.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #32

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I have done a few more pieces on an off. The lower wing infills are in as is the aerial behind the canopy and the arrester hook. The airbrakes fit in very nice, all these items are drop fit. no sanding or fettling just put in place and let some extra thin wick in to hold it.

The instructions will have you put in the main gear legs early on but I am not interested in doing this, it never ends well. I have notched the lower fuselage panel so it can be removed. The centre line bulkhead can then be slotted in as a temp measure for painting if necessary and the gear legs put in later after decals and clear coats.

Fairly happy with the way this is progressing but we are past the halfway point, need to keep pressing on.

Next up is to separate this guy from the casting block, not a small cut here.

I started building models, then I was collecting more than I built. Now I'm more of an archivist.
Last Edit: by Marcus.Q1000859.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #33

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 423
Said it before... fantastic work here.

Ian.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #34

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1160

Marcus.Q1000859 wrote: Sweet. I'm going to fit the Legend ACES ll seat with the moulded belts. It's a bit of a fiddle as it doesn't come with rails so will use those from the kit. The seat pitots with the Legend seat are air bubble contaminated so will again use those from the kit. Because I am converting back to the 'A' I will be using the fixed seat pitots rather than the current extending type.

Are you going to build it as a HARM shooter?

Yeah it will be a Weasel bird. I would love to do an F-4 Wild Weasel along with it.
Are the sprue parts white, or are they just a light gray and other parts have had some primer? And good idea with the landing gear. Does the bulkhead need to go in the same time as the landing gear?

Kane
On the Bench - 1/48 Revell F-15E

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #35

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1599
B) This continues to be excellent.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #36

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Nice build going on here, attention to detail is awesome.
You obviously know your subject very well.
Nice
Dave

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #37

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes the kit plastic is white, grey around the intakesame is final paint the rest is primer for some contrast to see how the fit is.

Got this fella clear of the casting block, a bigger cheat line would have been handy but as it is it should not need more than a smeer of filler. It is a removable item so a small demarcation is acceptable.

Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #38

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 423
If anyone is interested there's a good article here: clicky clicky on the whole bolt-a-big-gun-onto-a-small-aircraft project. Worth a read.

Ian.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #39

• Bishop
Good work on cleaning up the nose cone. Removing hunks of resin can be a pain. :S

Amateur plastic surgeon!

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #40

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Before the weekend I visited the garage, for reasons other than getting food from the freezer or tools to fix a broken cupboard door :)

First on the agenda was to clean up the nose. I had faired it in with perfect plastic putty. For those not familiar it cleans up with water, neat, the neater thing thou is it cleans up wet or dry, coolx2. so out with a cotton bud and a drop of water and a little vigorous rubbing and this is what we get.

Pretty good, not going to do any sanding or shaping, just leave well enough alone.

Next was the gun pod (from the Hase weapons set), two pieces and fitted it too the Hasegawa pylon (from any Hase F-16 kit) pinned it all together with a couple of little steel pins then a seam clean up.

Last night I carried on and got some Gunze silver on the donut panel picture still to come. Then i moved on to airbrush some paint on the Gun pod. This was the first time I have used MiG Ammo paint, it did not go so well. Picture also to come.

I understand MiG Ammo paints are water based acrylic and should spray straight from the bottle, I was using my Sotar 20/20 at 15psi (apologies for the imperial, but airbrushing and tyre pressures will always be so for me) dimple finnish, pooh, tried again with a little water in the mix, same, for the third time with some laquer thinner, poohx3- tore the paint apart. I think the paint has too much surface tension for the way I am spraying. will have another go in a couple of days.

Couple of options one is adding a little UMP thinner, their website says its compatable and or going to a brush with a larger nozzle/needle combo. - Thoughts??
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #41

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I had to learn about the mig paints and having an orange-peel / dimple finish is quite common if you treat them like Tamiya or Gunze paints. You need to change your painting method with them and spray super-fine coats, and let the paint build up over multiple coats.
This video helped me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry

Kane

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #42

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
Sorry to hear about the paint application problems Marcus. Watching the link above Kane put up it, was night and day between finishes using the same paint and pressures, all by varying the application technique. I'm curious to see how the MIG paint works out on your F-16A. There's a lot to be said for using acrylics for their less hazardous chemistry. I like Mr Color because it dries very hard, but damn it stinks and clean up stinks, and I use a spraybooth!

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #43

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 183
what an excellent "technical" build i really admire you guys who can put something together without a smear of glue. normally some where i find a finger print on mine.

and cheers Ian for the article on the GAU pod, made me miss a meeting!

Is the perfect plastic putty available in NZ if so where do you get it?????

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #44

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Lucas, I got my Perfect Plastic Putty from Acorn Models, but the last person who asked them said they didn't have any more in stock. Worth an ask. You could also take out a mortgage and buy one through Fishpond. :blink:

Kane

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #45

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 183
apparently they are back in stock just picked up two tubes! o for awesome!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 6 months ago #46

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for the tutorial, I should be able to get back to the bench tonight give it another go.

I will try the .5 airbrush, should be able to keep the air pressure down with the larger tip. the Sotar needed to go up past 18psi to get the paint out the nozzle. What I did the other night, does not look too bad in the light of day, needs some more coats though.

I got my putty from here, www.sampublications.com/ I like books. If you sign up for the emails periodically you get free shipping, thats when I order things.

Hows this for bonehead, the other night when I was spraying the MiG ammo straight from the bottle, had not lifted the pressure and it was gumming up the nozzle. I took the end cap off and gave it a little clean with a cotton bud and worked the needle, then, gave it a shot of air and. . . spat the nozzle across the garage floor. bugger!

Found it, cleaned up the tools and went to bed. There are times when you just need to rest.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #47

• Calum
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
Nice stuff. Not sure If I'd be keen to convert tackle this. Looking forward to seeing it progress .

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #48

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I spent a little extra time on the paint with the Gun pod, it is an improvement but I am not yet at ease with the MiG Ammo paint, I have spent much more time just blasting out Tamiya and Gunze so I am happy to give it time to get better with. IF I get to it at the end of the build it can have a pastel wash, same as the rest of the jet

The IP is now ready for installation, it is mostly Tamiya kit parts with just the steam gauges cut from the Eduard Zoon set for a Hase A.

I have also masked the canopy parts so once I get some black paint for the framing on and rest a day I can glue on the rear section and temp tack on the main section. the the same time blanking off the wells, maybe with the doors and then it is time for some paint, at long last.
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #49

• Bishop
Rude word will you look at that. Excellent detail.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #50

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Bishop wrote: Rude word will you look at that. Excellent detail.

Wot he said

Kane

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #51

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I sprayed some black on the canopy last night, it represents the sealant that shows through the clear sections, much like the yellow around the F-4 canopys and the pink(ish) stuff on some of the century series. I don't know but it is likely if you look hard enough on any jet canopy there will be something like it.

I used canopy mask from eduard, first time, they are pretty neat. Not essential but quick and effective. money v time. From here it is mask off the black and then they can be fitted to cover off the cockpit area from the top colours.

That was the successful bit, the bad news is that my filter regulator let go, So no more painting till I get it fixed, bugger! Diaphragm has let go I believe, no pressure regulation and air hoses out from under the adjustment knob.

Pooh.
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #52

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1165
Bugger that's a shame, hopefully an easy fix!

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #53

• Bishop
These things are sent to pee us off. May it work again quickly. Nice tip with the canopy

Amateur plastic surgeon!

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #54

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ok, new filter regulator sussed, this is bigger than the last so is mounted remotely by the bench. A good solution insomuch as I am not fiddling under the bench but does put bottle pressure through the flex hose. It's a little Bambi compressor with the cut out set to 6.5 bar so not really a problem. Will just turn off the isolation V / v when I'm done.

Nothing happened since the last time, this weekend I have left the kids with G'ma and my wife and I are having a weekend away in peace.

So will put the phone down before I get, the 'look' :)
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #55

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Cockpit is ready for temporary covering when I am ready to paint.

Tail feathers have been clipped and reprofiled, I now need to grove the slotsfor the static dischargers. Point to note is that the tail planes are interchangeable, so, port on top stbd underneath.

Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #56

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just jam the little buggers on and try not to be too fussy.

Bedtime.
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #57

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1165
Sweeet :)

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #58

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice Marcus. It was just the A and B models that had the smaller tail planes wasn't it?

Kane

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #59

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes, and just some of them by Block 15 the larger ones were fitted.

At various points existing block 5 & 10 would have been retrofitted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 2 years 5 months ago #60

• Bishop
The details, the details... beautiful.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Moderators: Andrew