January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
Interesting, and thanks for posting. The new kit has similar engineering but the detail is a big improvement. And they have certainly improved the instructions; the ones in the old kit look like someone knocked them up in 5th form tech drawing class.
Yeah i know what you mean, Revells instructions are a bit poor sometimes and at worse misleading (HE111 instructions for example) but it seems they've taken the lead from some of the newer companies and made a proper booklet.
The construction minus a few obvious modifications, is as far as i can tell the same. the panels lines are much better and are much crisper
I also don't think i'll need a nose weight that resin pit is heavy!!!
I gave it a quick sand and buff this morning in prep for the final coat of paint. To wash off the dust I gave it a quick run under the cold tap. The instant result was this:
The paint has bubbled and lifted all over the thing. I don't have the patience to strip this back, and really the model isn't worth the time for it, especially when there are so many nice kits waiting in the stash. So I am officially admitting defeat.
I still have the decal sheet though so hopefully I will get to complete the subject one day. Thanks for commenting and following folks. It obviously wasn't meant to be.
Grant, I'm thinking the failure has everything to do with Vallejo acrylic. Why you might ask? My experience of Vallejo is it skins off and dries quite quickly but adhesion is the poorest I've ever encountered in a hobby paint on anything other than a matt primer, and it's the lack of adhesion that makes me wonder whether moisture has got under/through the top coat (perhaps because of the sanding?) to wreak havoc. None of this makes up for the loss of time and hard work you've put in, so my commiserations.
Terry wrote: Grant, I'm thinking the failure has everything to do with Vallejo acrylic. Why you might ask? My experience of Vallejo is it skins off and dries quite quickly but adhesion is the poorest I've ever encountered in a hobby paint on anything other than a matt primer, and it's the lack of adhesion that makes me wonder whether moisture has got under/through the top coat (perhaps because of the sanding?) to wreak havoc. None of this makes up for the loss of time and hard work you've put in, so my commiserations.
I think I agree with your diagnosis Terry after giving it a bit of a scrub. The paint in those areas just peels off. Back to Tamiya acrylics.
I'm sorry to see this happen to you Grant after all the work you had put into it.
It is exactly the same thing that happened to me on my T-80 last year using Ammo MiG acrylics.
My blistering resulted from using moistened tissue to mask off the camouflage pattern though, and probably sat on the surface too long.
I was gutted as well.
Give it a couple days to think it over and hopefully you will decide to strip the paint back with some thinners etc and re-do it.
It looks like you've knocked off the majority of the assembly and it would be a shame to see all that effort got to waste.