January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
KitModellerNZ wrote: Have you considered using watercolour pencils? I'm going to use them on my A-7 after the panel washes
I experimented a bit just now and got the effect I'm after. It's a combination of fine brush chipping, a panel wash and an oil filter and a bit of extra oil grime. It's going to take multiple sessions to get the whole thing done though.
I put the decals on this morning. So few of them . They set down very nicely though. They are the Flightpath Tornado decals.
Straight in to the weathering. I got one side of the front an a wing done. Nikki has extensive wear on the leading edges, so I concentrated chipping there. Then I gave it a sludge oil wash and finally a pin wash. I'm finding it very hard to get pictures that show the surface properly, but in person it has a nice grubby sun bleached look. I'm glad I left the preshading quite stark because the weathering takes it back a bit.
Cheers all. I'm finished with the chipping and washes. I added the undercarriage which I'll weather next. Then I'll paint some more of the details, add some weathering with the airbrush, including the distinctive stains from the thrust reversers, and then give it a matt coat before turning my attention to the ordnance. Getting there.