January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
Oh hell yeah Grant...will be watching this for sure!!!
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Thanks Steve. I take it the 2nd one in that link is the new tool / update kit? I've seen the other one around (IDS). Model Air has one for about $85
They are both are the new tooling Kane. Only the German variant has been released so far. The GR.4 hasn't been released yet. It has some minor differences to the airframe and a different weapons set. I saving myself for the GR.4 before I get one.
I started this afternoon. This will probably be a bit more of a leisurely build I think. Here's the lump of plastic and assorted extras out of which the Tornado will emerge:
Spent the afternoon cleaning up and gluing the wings together. I'm not going to bother with the moving wings and will glue them in position.
This seems like quite an old kit as much of the surface is quite scratched from being jostled in the box. A quick pass of a sanding sponge has removed this, but the canopy will take a little more work to sort out.
First real update. I've glued the wings and stabilators together and done a bit of gap filling. Also started on the fuselage. Fit is pretty good. The detail is minimal but it will look pretty good I think.
I also cleaned up the Aires resin exhausts. The detail on these is outstanding.
To fit they do require little of the fuselage plastic to be carved away but it should be simple.
After the wings are glued on I'll begin on the cockpit.
Flying_Kiwi wrote: bet you're regretting gluing the stabilizers now huh.... bugger i can see what you mean about the surgery. do you have a dremel??
If you live in/close to welly you are more than welcome to borrow mine, looks to fiddly for a razor saw and that plastic looks too thick for a scalpel.
Since i have essentially the same kit i'm keen to see your mods and progress, don't give up mate, your builds are awesome!!! have strength mate!
Thanks. Yeah the stabilators had to come off because the exhausts push well past their attachment rod. I'll glue them straight to the fuselage once I'm finished. I've managed to cut everything away with a razor saw and a new blade and glued the exhausts in with a generous amount of superglue. They also had to be trimmed a little. Now I'm rebuilding the back end with some new panels cut from plastic card (actually a bit of flat plastic scavenged from a kit). Pics to follow.
I'm not sure what my mods will do to the accuracy of the model, but I'm looking pretty closely at some pics of the rear end of a Tornado and the kit is a very rough approximation anyway. And something is inaccurate here: either the kit rear end is much too skinny, or the Aires exhausts are much too fat. I'm going to try to push through with this today because it's the last day of my summer leave and I don't want to leave such a major thing half finished.
Flying_Kiwi wrote: this seems to be bullshit then huh
I know, I kept half expecting to find I had the wrong kit or resin set, or had it upside down.
Four hours later, I've made significant progress toward getting this sorted. Honestly it's not perfect, and everything is now a bit squashed together and probably a little short, but I think I can live with this result. Here are the pics.
So this pic shows where the resin parts should fit the trimmed down kit. But they are way too big, and it had to be trimmed back to get everything in there.
I trimmed and I trimmed... eventually taking off the entire bit that butts up against the resin.
Hmmm, looks like I'll need to rebuild that bit. It was at this stage that I began to have my doubts, and the kit came very close to going back in the box. But I listened to the encouragement here, cleaned everything up, and glued in the cans. They just fit (actually they are too close together, but solving this would have been a step too far I think.)
So this gap needs filling. I cut some scrap plastic to fit. This was actually very time consuming.
Filed it down and glued it in.
Glued the other half in (the toothpick pulls the tape away from the surface so the glue doesn't wick under the tape).
And I was left with this:
The gap in the middle will be filled with a sort of tent shaped piece that wedges under the tail and slightly presses down the replacement panels so that they conform to the resin on the inside a bit more. This also needs some careful gap filing and a little more scribing. Referring back to pictures it actually doesn't look too far from the real thing, though a bit short and compressed. It's probably better than the original kit parts that you see in the first pic anyway. I'll repeat the process for the underside tomorrow.