Wally's North Africa GB - "Shot down near El Adem" diorama

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
7 years 2 months ago #61 by Glenn
Looks great Wally,lots of action going on,
Great work on them little men :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #62 by Wally
Here is my final submission. For better or worse I have taken photographs in clear natural sunlight for 'natural', dramatic and shadow effect. Like David I found it next to impossible to choose only 5 photos from the 47 I took. Part of the game though I guess, "Them's the Rules".

SHOT DOWN NEAR EL-ADEM
My diorama depicts the capture of F/O William (Bill) Kloster of 3 Squadron RAAF (RAF) on 22 November 1941 in the El-Adem, Torbruk area of North Africa after crash-landing his P-40B Tomahawk Mk IIb AK390. The aircraft still wears its previous 112 “Shark” Squadron markings. Kloster’s capture is affected by the crew of an Afrika Korps Recon Sd.Kfz.250/3 Half-Track and Afrika Korps infantry in a Kfz 305 Opel Blitz 3 ton truck. Senior tank commanders observe.
The Editor of 3 Squadron’s official website notes -
The 22nd of November 1941 was a 'black day' for 3 Squadron – its blackest - with a total of nine pilots (nearly half of the Squadron's strength) failing to return from the two intense fighter combat operations. Even more tragically, five of these men died in action.
I cannot find any more information about Bill Kloster’s capture or imprisonment but information about another pilot, F/O H R H Roberts, captured on the same day lends interesting detail. Author Russell Brown, on pg 47 of his excellent book "Desert Warriors", reports the contents of F/O Harold Robert's Prisoner-of-War debriefing file about his final flight of 22 November 1941:
During the dogfight, F/O Roberts' aircraft was holed in the oil tank by six bullets, his windscreen was shattered, and he was struck in the head by a piece of the canopy. Unconscious for some seconds, he recovered to force-land successfully on the undercarriage. He left the aircraft intact as per orders and started walking back, but was captured after 15 miles.
ALL KITSETS ARE 1/48 SCALE
- Academy P-40 Tomahawk Mk 11b ‘Aces of North Africa’
- Tamiya Afrika Korps Infantry
- Tamiya Sd.Kfz.250/3 Half-Track
- Tamiya WW2 German Infantry
- Italeri Kfz 305 3 Ton Truck, Opel Blitz
AFTERMARKET – P/E Sutton Harness ex Special Hobby Spitfire Mk Vc
PAINTS – Acrylic Aeromaster, Tamiya, Xtracrylic + Humbrol enamels
DIORAMA MATERIALS including 12mm ply, foam sheet, paper mache, PVA glue, scenic glue, sand, rubble, fine ballast, acrylic paint, 15mm (approx) picture framing, Tuff-as-Nails glue and enamel satin varnish.

File Attachment:

NorthAfrikaDIO FINISHV2 010 by Wally Hicks , on Flickr

File Attachment:

NorthAfrika GB FINISH test1 016 by Wally Hicks , on Flickr

File Attachment:

NorthAfrika GB FINISH test1 014 by Wally Hicks , on Flickr

File Attachment:

NorthAfrika GB FINISH test1 018 by Wally Hicks , on Flickr

File Attachment:

NorthAfrika GB FINISH test1 003 by Wally Hicks , on Flickr

Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Wally. Reason: Genuine mistake - entered the wrong picture number from Flickr

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 1 month ago #63 by CyNaKyL
That looks awesome, the natural light makes it look like it's late afternoon in the high desert. I think you've got my vote so far......

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
7 years 1 month ago #64 by eyepaule
Awesome modelling Wally :cheer:

Paul

More
7 years 1 month ago #65 by Fritz
That's looking awesome Wally! Love the bullet holes in the P-40!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #66 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Wally's North Africa GB - "Shot down near El Adem" diorama
WOW - lot's of action man! . . .
Go get em. . .

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

More
7 years 1 month ago #67 by grunzter
Yeh great stuff!
I love the addition of the plane in the diorama, something that really makes it stand out!
Grant

More
7 years 1 month ago #68 by sjr_76
Hey Wally love the concept of the downed pilot surrendering and I think the painting/weathering looks great especially the battle damage and oil leaking over the canopy B) The only thing that I think detracts from the whole scheme is there is too much going on and your eyes get pulled all over the show trying to work out whats going on. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Steve R

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 1 month ago #69 by Wally
Thanks for all of your feedback guys.
sjr_76, the busy-ness and possible lack of focus you refer to was one of my chief concerns as the diorama came together. Maybe a bit too much going on ...?
That would be par for the course for me. I do tend to over-complicate things.
Gonna have to watch that in the upcoming PTO GB for which I have registered for 2 entries.
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary