North Africa and the Desert Wars GB - Tamiya LRDG Chevy

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #31 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic North Africa and the Desert Wars GB - Tamiya LRDG Chevy
Here are some more photo's for reference.

iInitially I was with the sagged tyre team but upon close inspection of actual phot's from in theatre there is very little evidence that tfyres were significantly deflated for across desert use.

Attachment LRDG1.jpg not found

Attachment LRDG2.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg3.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg4.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg5.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg6.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg7.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg8.jpg not found

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #32 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic North Africa and the Desert Wars GB - Tamiya LRDG Chevy
And some more . . .

Attachment lrdg9_2012-11-17.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg10_2012-11-17.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg11_2012-11-17.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg12_2012-11-17.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg13_2012-11-17.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg14_2012-11-17.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg15_2012-11-17.jpg not found

Attachment lrdg16_2012-11-17.jpg not found

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #33 by 1/35th Battalion
These vehicles are in reasonably clean condition. In the field they were known to be heavily affected by the conditions and the paint wore off all over the fronts and prevailing edges all the time.

It is my understanding that a huge number of the vehicles posted to North Africa had already been painted at factory in some form of OD and were over painted in theatre, often very messily in the dusty conditions.

On the Bench:

More
7 years 10 months ago #34 by agyoung33
Excellent range of photos Dave! No excuse noew not to super detail mate!

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

• Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 6 months ago #35 by Andrew
I haven't abandoned this yet! :lol:

I've bitten the bullet and have just ordered the following;

Fingers crossed it will be here within 5-8 days

Glenn and I did a figure swap, so I have a set of MB LRDG figures for this now too. Just need to work out how to apply suntans to figures :whistle: :lol:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Attachments:

More
7 years 6 months ago #36 by grunzter
:cheer: ..is it two jeeps & a Chevy now?
Keen watcher...

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #37 by 1/35th Battalion

grunzter wrote: :cheer: ..is it two jeeps & a Chevy now?
Keen watcher...

Nah, this is Andrew's thread for his contribution to this Group Build. Andrew is doing the LRDG Chevy and crew whilst I (1/35th Battalion) am doing the double SAS jeep build.

Andrew, those AM bits will really spark up the end result. The Black Dog cargo bed load will mostly be a single piece mold. That makes for some strategic painting methods. Take care with the Jerry can handles. Really fragile and molded in three very closely arranged lines on a single block. I lost/broke about half in my SAS kit. Thank fully I had the Legend kit as well and will, with luck and bewteen what's left on both kits, have enough for the second jeep.

Happy building

David

On the Bench:

Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 6 months ago #38 by Andrew
Update time :)

With the arrival of AM parts, I've got this on the go again :woohoo: The blackdog parts are going to require a bit of cleanup, but should look good. As per David, some of the jerrycan handles are broken already, and it isn't going to be fun getting them off the pour stubs :evil:

I've done a little more work, getting the drivetrain on. Will get back into this later today

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Attachments:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #39 by Andrew
Update time :)

I've been working away on this over the past few days. I'm pretty much done construction wise. I just need to add a few more bits of the Blackdog stowage, and the steering wheel, and it will be ready for painting. I'm a little disappointed in that Blackdog do not include any mounting instructions. Most of it it self explanatory where it goes, but I had glued several parts of the kit together, and this meant I coundn't fit pieces of the stowage on :unsure:

I replaced the kit Lee-Enfields with the rifles from the MB figure set I got from Glenn, tedious work grinding out the kit parts to get them to accept the MB rifles, but the improvement is worth it I think.

I also added a scratchbuilt a Bagnold sun compass. It's not to scale, but is far better than the kit lump of plastic :lol:

I'm still undecided whether to use the Archer decal set, they are dry transfers, and I should've really ground the kit moulded on guage detailing off before using them. I'll see how I go, the set has two lots, so I've got a spare if I muck up the first :whistle:

Here are progress pics B)

Next up it to start on a few figures, and the base :woohoo:

Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Andrew.

More
7 years 6 months ago #40 by Tiger
Looking good Andrew, all the AM resin bits make the differnce to details don't they ?
Watching out for the paint work :-)
Dave

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 6 months ago #41 by Andrew
Thanks Dave :)

Yeah, the resin stuff compared to the parts in the kit make a heck of a lot of difference. It is quite funny though, sometimes you notice that the AM companies have used kit parts for their moulds. I'm sure Blackdog used the kit LRDG wheels for their spare in the cargo bed load. I think they used Tamiya Jerrycans (newer tooling) as they handles look very similar :lol:

More
7 years 6 months ago #42 by Wally
Looks excellent.
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 6 months ago #43 by Andrew
Thanks Wally :)

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago #44 by 1/35th Battalion
I'm watchin'
Lookin' good so far.
Happy building

David

On the Bench:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 5 months ago #45 by Andrew
Thanks David :)

I've been working away on this project still. Now that construction is pretty much complete, and the weather being crap for painting, I've started on the base.

I found a picture frame that I brought from The Warehouse ( I think :unsure: ) and have cut a bottom panel from 9mm MDF. I've used polystryrene sheet for the basic profile. I then added some sides using the backing panel from the picture frame (3mm MDF). Earlier in the evening I made a mix of Celluclay, AK Interactive North Africa Dust pigment and kitty litter and spread it over the polystyrene. I then shook kitty litter over the top, and pressed it into the mix. I'll need to let it dry for a couple of days now the weather is not so hot before painting and weathering the groundwork

Here's pics

I've made a start on the figures, I'll be having just two. Need to finish getting get them cleaned up and assembled ready to paint

Attachments:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago #46 by 1/35th Battalion
Kitty Litter, now why didn't I think of that? Unused of course :whistle: I guess that would be a lot cheaper overall than Woodland Scenics Tallus
A great use for something many already have in the household.

The result looks good so far Andrew

David

On the Bench:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 5 months ago #47 by Andrew
Haha, yes, unused Kitty Litter. I think I paid around $15 for a 10kg bag. Our cat doesn't use it anymore, so I've got an almost lifetimes supply :lol:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 5 months ago #48 by Andrew
Well it looks like I'm going to need more of that kitty litter :unsure:

I've learnt a couple of lessons with the celluclay. Too thick a coat will make the polystyrene you mount it on bow when it fully cures. Also, make sure you have it in a warm dry place for curing. I left it in the garage for a few days, and it developed a few patches of mould :sick:

Still tossing up whether to cut a new block of polystyrene for the base or just make the base straight on the baseboard

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary