Kiwimodeller GB North Africa & Mediterranean Reference Pics

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 8 months ago #1 by Andrew
Here I've attached images I've come across while researching for the group build.

Feel free to add that you have. I'll add more as I find them B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #2 by Dads Army

Would qualify as MTO ?

"Rough as Guts Production's"
Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #3 by Gary
Would definately qualify, its exactly the kind of thing I had in mind for this topic.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #4 by Dads Army

Gary wrote: Would definately qualify, its exactly the kind of thing I had in mind for this topic.

Cool, I'll build the Mustang as one of my two entries :)

I will build the Bedford QL portee as my second entry, providing I can get the kit at a reasonable price.

I was going to build this -

but I'm scared I'll get bogged down with it, being all resin and I have absolutely no experience with that medium - a long term project :cowboy:

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Dads Army.

More
7 years 8 months ago #5 by Glenn

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #6 by Gary
Here's one I built, it's the 1/72 version.

Apparantly they had cloth flaps (yes David I know they are called ailerons but it upsets you so much, I just have to call them flaps :P ) so mine are wrong but I'm sure I've seen these with all metal skins as well.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Gary.

More
7 years 8 months ago #7 by RED
looks good guys, can't wait ...

my inspiration found on the net

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #8 by Phil
beta.natlib.govt.nz/

National library image data base is always handy.

Enter your search term (ie Sherman) and then once it comes up with everything under the sun, scroll down and look on the left of your screen for 'Filter by subject' and you can select 'World War, 1939-1945' or 'Sherman tank' etc.

Depending on the search term, it also brings up lots of news paper articles which may be of interest.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Phil.

More
7 years 8 months ago #9 by Dads Army

Phil wrote: beta.natlib.govt.nz/

National library image data base is always handy.

Enter your search term (ie Sherman) and then once it comes up with everything under the sun, scroll down and look on the left of your screen for 'Filter by subject' and you can select 'World War, 1939-1945' or 'Sherman tank' etc.

Depending on the search term, it also brings up lots of news paper articles which may be of interest.

That's a brilliant link Phil B) Will use it as my "go to" source in future
Found this one which would be an interesting build

German special mobile anti tank gun abandoned by the retreating forces in Egypt, World War II. The gun was a long barrelled 75mm mounted on Czechoslavakian built tank chassis. Photograph taken circa November 1942 by H Paton.

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #10 by Dads Army
Also -

Tools laid out on the ground as part of a transport kit inspection, Egypt. Taken circa 1941 by an official photographer.

Now I can put my Bofors gun behind my 15cwt Chev ;)

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #11 by Dads Army
B–25’s over the Western Desert in Egypt. The USAAF was active in the Middle East several months before the Allied landings in North Africa. The first mission of these bombers was against the enemy-occupied port of Matruh on the coast of Egypt in July 1942. (Medium bombers, North American B–25 Mitchell.)

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #12 by Gary
North Africa as far as air power goes is often refered to as the forgotten airforce especially the RAF side. But there was a huge presence out in Egypt, Iran, Bengazi etc long before Operation Torch. The RAF had been there from after the 1st World War.
The US 15th Airforce was another major prescence in this theatre during WWII

More
7 years 8 months ago #13 by Dads Army

Gary wrote: North Africa as far as air power goes is often refered to as the forgotten airforce especially the RAF side. But there was a huge presence out in Egypt, Iran, Bengazi etc long before Operation Torch. The RAF had been there from after the 1st World War.
The US 15th Airforce was another major prescence in this theatre during WWII

Totally agree with you Gary. I cut and paste the caption that went with the photo. I assume this was written by someone who assumes America single-handedly won the war and that the Commonwealth forces where mere "minor players" in the whole affair :lol:

More
7 years 8 months ago #14 by Gary
No I didn't mean that, I meant that even in England the exploits of 205 Group and the 15th AF etc are relatively unknown, everyone concentrates on the War in the West and often forgets that the war was all through what is now Iraq, Iran etc and they were our allies (or at least the tribesmen were).

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 8 months ago #15 by Andrew
Some more pics B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 3 months ago #16 by Andrew
I came across this link on Facebook this morning. From the LIFE page

LIFE in WWII: Photos From the North African Campaign, 1943

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary