KM Group Build North Afrika and the Desert War (1/35th Battalion)

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
7 years 2 months ago #181 by Gary
Very nice work indeed, it's inspiring me to press on with my build, I need to find some figures now I guess...

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #182 by Wally
Inspirational stuff alright!

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 2 months ago #183 by Tiger
Your figures are looking great David. Awesome build thus far :-)
Cheers

Tiger

• 1/35th Battalion
  • 1/35th Battalion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #184 by 1/35th Battalion
Thanks guys.

Good luck with the house hunt, pack up and move there Tiger.

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #185 by 1/35th Battalion
Probably the final update before submitting the completed work.

Just a quick couple of images to show the final detailing I have done with the kits.

Attachment SASHighJeepKMlogo.jpg not found

I have added the Thompson M1928 an left off the sling as my research suggest that SAS preferred not to use them in this theatre.
Also of note is the actual scale printed map from DioArt and the Binos with strap.

Attachment SASHighJeepMapped.jpg not found

Waterbottle in hand with lead foil strap in dynamic motion. And heavy cotton thread as the rope from the donkeys halter to and through the riders hand.

Attachment SASMidGroupDetail.jpg not found

MP40 on dash and, although out of focus, 3D cigarette packet on the ammo crate from Reality in Scale. It is opened at it's top.

Attachment SASLowJeepDetail.jpg not found

I have shown these things as, with only five images allowed for final submission, you may not see these details.
There are two vehilces and all their stowage and weapons, five figures and a donkey with kit on its back set in a rocky desert scene which also includes a broken wall and other features. And I can only show you all this in five images so I'm getting a few of these extras in.
:lol:
All comments welcome.
David

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
7 years 2 months ago #186 by eyepaule
Love it, er them.. David! Really like the little details. One of the detail suppliers I buy from has "Detail Excites" written on their packets, and when done well it really does :cheer:

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1/35th Battalion

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #187 by 1/35th Battalion
Having a real problem creating five photos that capture this whole diorama, and it's only slightly bigger than an A4 page. Drat.
Thanks Paul, it's those little details that add life,and that excitement of familiarity, I feel.

Cheers
David

On the Bench:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 1 month ago #188 by 1/35th Battalion
The Final Countdown

Most of this will have been covered in the thread to date but lets get it all in one place. Sorry that this is NOT brief.

THE SPYMASTERS TRYST
Commonwealth Warriors
Suq al-Awty, Wadi Buzra
Central Libya, North Africa 1942

British Army Intelligence Corps – 8th Army
British Land Forces, 1st Battalion, Special Air Service, 8th Army
Willys Overland, MB - 4 x 4 Off-Road Utility Car - GP

My contribution to this build is a diorama, which has changed concept a couple of times, but now includes two SAS jeeps with crews meeting up with the area spymaster out in the desert someplace to gather information on enemy activities. Split level with one jeep up near a ruined brick wall keeping lookout while the other crew and vehicle are down at the lower level conversing with the Information gatherer, who appears to be a local Arab riding a donkey. This is in fact Lt. Colonel John Haseldon of the 8th Army Intelligence Corps. Born and raised in the Middle East, well educated and living in, and studying the desert and it's inhabitants at the outbreak of hostilities.
Fluent in English, Arabic, French and Italian, his network of informants and spies provided invaluable information to 8th Army, SAS and LRDG. He spent almost his entire time in the field and looked very much like a local, blending in easily. From time to time he was also placed in command of a group consisting of members from within Commando, SBS and Rhodesian SAS troops. He was well liked. Lieutenant Colonel Haseldon was killed late in 1942 whilst leading his troops against a fortified position during the second failed attempt to retake Tobruk. The High Command had still not figured out that you do not use Special Forces Troops for Mass Attacks. This attempt to retake Tobruk was considered by many to be a complete debacle.

This is the back story and the general idea behind the concept of my diorama; a respectful honour to a warrior who received little recognition for his huge contribution during the early and middle stages of the North African campaigns. It is also a tribute to those other warriors who created something completely new in military thinking and modus operandi at that time; The SAS. They used the Spymasters information and created havoc deep behind the lines.
(The SAS, as a functioning unit, came into existence at Kabrit, southeast east of Cairo, Egypt, North Afrika, around September of 1941).

This build is in 1/35th scale.

The base vehicle kits are the Tamiya kit – 35033 – British Special Air Service Jeep, which was released in 1972/74, and included two crew figures for mounting in the vehicle, plus various equipment, stowage and weapons. I have used two of these kits.

I have upgraded these with the following:

Black Dog - T35014 – British SAS Jeep North Africa 1942. Resin.
LEGEND Productions – LF1233 – SAS Jeep Conversion Set (For 2 vehicles). Resin and PE
Academy – Tank Accessories Set II
Various gauges of Brass Wire. (Gun Sights, Bagnold Sun Compass uprights and the Condenser hoses).
Evergreen Styrene Strip. I repaired/rebuilt one of the Black Dog triple Jerry Can racks and scratch built another for the water jerry can on the right side of the top jeep.

The .50 cal HMG is from Academy – 1384 – US Machinegun Set. (I re-drilled the air vent holes and drilled out the barrel muzzle end.) The weapon is detailed with PE from Verlinden - 1434 - SAS Jeep Conversion (Front sight) and E.T. Model – EA35-003 – M2 .50cal Machinegun set (Ammo box & carrier, ammo belt and rear sight).

The Vickers K MGs on that jeep are the Tamiya originals with some very fine cutting and filing to free the space between barrel and gas tube. And a lot of cleaning up of the mold seams. ET Model PE rear sights and brass wire fronts on the single Vickers on both jeeps.

The Vickers K’s on the second jeep are from Italeri – 320 – Commando Car. They are accurate depictions and I have detailed them and the other twin pair with PE rear sights from Verlinden’s set, as are the cross braces. All MG pivots and cross mounts are Resin from Black Dog. The Upright stanchions for all MGs are from Tamiya and Legend. They have been drilled top and bottom and had brass rod pins CA glued in to the bottom hole for strength and an improved location to the vehicle models. The twin MGs and .50 cal MG cross mounts have also been drilled and brass pinned and the uprights and cross mounts joined.
The drum magazines on all the Vickers MG’s are from the Legend resin set as those provided in both the Tamiya and Italeri kits are inaccurate. These drum magazines have a top and bottom plate with a proud lip top AND bottom and neither of the styrene kit produces this. The ammo boxes are one original from the Tamiya jeep set which has been hidden, and the other wooden boxes are from both of the resin upgrade sets, loaded with drum magazines from those sets.

Most of the stowage is from either the Black Dog resin set, the Legend resin set or from Master Box – 3598 – LRDG in North Africa, styrene set. Exceptions are the scale cam net, which is an actual mesh net and the large oil cans from the Academy - Tank Accessories set.

All added pack and equipment straps are made of lead foil either from Verlinden or the Wine Bottle, and some of these have been detailed with buckles or fastenings from Photo Etched parts by ABER – 35A21 – Buckles and Straps.

The front wheels/tyres on the .50 cal jeep are Legend resin items and the PE sand channels also on this vehicle are from the same Legend upgrade set.
The similar spare wheel mounted on the rear of the other vehicle is from the Black Dog resin set.

The Coolant Condensers on the front of the Jeeps:
One is the Tamiya kit original with added dents carved in and the other is from the Legend resin upgrade set. Hoses/vents are brass wire super glued into drilled holes.

There is a cigarette pack in the .50 cal jeep, sitting on the ammo box between the seats.
It comes from Dio Art’s – 026 – Allied Cigarette Packets.
On the other jeep you will see a map on the dash. This is a genuine North Africa, scale printed map, on Extra Thin Paper (50gsm) from Reality in Scale – 35190 – WWII Era Maps.
I have scruffled/scrunched and multi folded it several times, but unless you use a magnifier you can’t see that, so it looks a bit new and unused.

The Figures: All styrene unless noted.
The mounted driver is the Tamiya set original with additional fine sculpting alterations.
My .50 cal Machine-gunner is the driver figure from Master Box - 3598 – LRDG in North Africa, and the Officer pointing and talking with the donkey rider is from the same set.
The donkey and its rider are from Master Box – 3559 – AfrikaKorps: German Tankman, with added heavy cotton thread as the rope of the reins from the halter, dropping down then rising up and through and over the hand of the rider.
And the other fellow standing and holding an MP40 SMG is a resin figure from the LEGEND Productions – LF0064 – British SAS set.

The Base Groundwork Scenic:
Mounted in/on a Picture/Mirror frame and 4.5mm plywood insert
The Crumbled Wall is from Verlinden’s 1698 – Ruined Castle Sections plaster kit.
Other products I have used here are Sculptamold Modelling Compound,
Woodland Scenics – Tallus – in three different size grades. (the rubble ,stones and gravel)
Tamiya - Diorama Texture Paint – Sand
Joefix Studios – 149 – Spring Coloured Grass Tufts
Scenic Express – Matt Medium Spray (Scenic fixative/glue) and PVA white glue
The Paints:
Tamiya, Humbrol and Poly Scale (now Testors) Acrylics.
Tamiya Acrylic Paint Retarder.
Woodland Scenics Earth Colours Kit (8 x 28g bottles), Acrylics.
AK Interactive 711 Chipping Colour - Acrylic.
AK Interactive AK022 Africa Dust Effects - Enamel Wash
Windsor and Newton “WINTON” Artists Oils to touch up the scuffs and damage to the base frame.

The Jeeps were airbrushed with two successive, very thin light coats of Tamiya XF 62 Olive Drab, XF 60 Dark Yellow and XF 59 Desert Yellow with about 10 minutes between coats and then 24 hours to cure fully. All other painting is by hand and a variety of brushes including the four coats of heavily diluted matt clear over the vehicles, figures and the donkey. The scenic base has four coats of matt medium applied by trigger spray applicator. This is over the four or five coats applied to hold all the Tallus material on.

The Glues:
Revell – Contacta Professional (with fine tube applicator)
Tamiya – Extra Thin Cement (bottle with fine brush applicator)
ZAP – Slo-Zap Thick CA (I use the tip of a needle as my applicator)
Selleys – PVA+ Exterior

And several hundred hours in research. The real glue; used to determine that what I was depicting was accurate to time and place. Even those Thompson M1928 .45acp SMGs with 52 round drum magazines and the round, canvas Vickers drum magazine pouches. In fact, everything is correct to time and place and close in colour, allowing for some small degree of artistic license.

All completed models and figures are brass pinned in a foot or tyre which corresponds with a drilled hole in the ground work and is sunk in a puddle of PVA glue at every contact point on the scenic base. The beauty of this is that as it dries it shrinks down securely gripping the model, and cures mostly matt clear. Any dry shine is covered with Humbrol 49 Acrylic Matt Clear thinned about 50/50 with water.

When I fastened the plywood base into the frame, the corners of the frame popped open by 1 – 1.5mm at the top inner corners and somewhat less at the outer edges. There was no tension on the join other than a couple of the fine brad pins I had used to secure the ply which had gone at a slight angle. This small action pulled everything slightly askew, causing the opening up at the corners.
To remedy this I sliced ultra fine slivers of wood off one of those Asian takeaways chopsticks that are sometimes included with your meal. I slowly and carefully filled the gaps with these and smaller pieces along with slow CA. I allowed around 24 hours for this to cure and, using sanding sticks of various grades, re-profiled and tidied the corners up. I used artists’ oils to retouch all the small nicks and scratches on the frame, which has travelled with us through 4 house shifts in 14 years, and to recolour the corners. If you were not looking for that you probably wouldn’t notice.

So there we have it. Who, What, Where and some of the How.

Enjoy the image I have created.

Cheers
David

Attachment SASDioFinal-1.jpg not found

Attachment SASFinalone-2.jpg not found

Attachment SASFinalone-too.jpg not found

Attachment SASFinalone-too-Three.jpg not found

Attachment SASFinalone-maybe.jpg not found

OOPS had too many photos.

Thanks all

On the Bench:

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
7 years 2 months ago #189 by Glenn
Great looking Dio David :) Top job,love the rocky ground
And man you have had FAR to much time if you are able to write a story that long, :lol:
Well done :woohoo:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #190 by 1/35th Battalion
Thanks Glen :cheer:
The story took three days to formulate and write proper like, first by hand, then typed it up on the PC, then refined it twice more. Then just cut and pasted into here.
I think you get the idea behind all the work I put into this puppy from that blurb and all the bits 'n peices too. I hope it wasn't too much to read . . . but thanks if you did bother to go there :woohoo:

Cheers
David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 2 months ago #191 by Fritz
Wow that's awesome! Great work!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
7 years 2 months ago #192 by Tiger
Shit hot dio there David.
Tiger

More
7 years 2 months ago #193 by eyepaule
Love it David! What else can I say...

I hope you are allowed this in the lounge :lol:

Paul

More
7 years 2 months ago #194 by Gary
Yeah she's a doozy alright, love it mate. 1st of July is steaming along, I'm still thinking of what to do with mine. Now I've seen yours I think I need a building or something....

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #195 by 1/35th Battalion
Thanks for the generous comments everyone. :woohoo:

Gary - even something as simple as a wall helps set the scale and the scene.
A mate in the USA who has been following this GB and was lookin at your 8-Rad suggested your crew member was too clean and that the rear number plates are too white. He also thought there was too much rust . (his thoughts in a skype call as I was finishing up my post) :whistle: In North Africa - metal doesn't rust all that much unless you're very near the ocean for long periods. So maybe consider that as your setting. (My thought) :side:

Cheers All
I hope your builds are as interesting for you as this has been for me.

David

On the Bench:

Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
7 years 2 months ago #196 by Gary
Good idea, about the wall, I've been looking at some old building photos and think it would look good on a deserted street.
Would just like to say that it's actually mostly the base coats showing through and not rust. It was an old vehicle that was originally standard grey that was then shipped to North Africa and desertised the red is the primer used by Jerry prior to 43 I've been led to believe. The rusting on the vehicle is mainly around the openings and hinges where it was already rusted prior to being repainted. The 2nd to last photo shows that I've dirtied up the number plates as I'd not done it on earlier shots.
I was going for a very old vehicle that's probably gone through 3 or 4 crews and multiple theatres of ops.
I like the idea of the ocean it changes the posibilites, I'll have to look and see if they made it to Crete or that part of the Med/Adriatic.

More
7 years 2 months ago #197 by Wally
Brilliant effort David.
The documentation alone is brilliant, much less the actual dio.
Truly awesome!
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #198 by 1/35th Battalion
Thanks Wally. IMHO the documentation builds and adds t the diorama picture.

Gary, no need to move to Crete, although some of these vehicle did end their days there. The VAST majority of the North Africa campaign battles were fought within cooee of the ocean. 5 - 60km. El Alamein, Mersa Matruh, Sidi Barrani, Sollum, Tobruk, Gazala, Bomba, Derna, Benghazi etc, etc. All Sea Ports or seaside towns, many serviced by rail and all by the major roadways of the era. Many of these communities were never deserted by the local population as this is where they derived their livings, servicing one side or the other and getting on with their own as moving to the country side was not an option. :P
As far as the 8-Rad is concerned I was simply passing on someone elses obsevations, nowt else mate.
Good luck in setting the scene.

David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 2 months ago #199 by grunzter
Yeh, very nice David, came out great!
I bet you cannot wait until the next group build. :)
Grant

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #200 by 1/35th Battalion
Thanks Grant.
Yeah I am felling kinda lost, so what do ya have in mind for the next group build then? One that you will enter into hey . . . :lol:

David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 2 months ago #201 by Gary
Depends if people are happy with this format i.e. $5 entry fee winner takes all type thing.
As for subject well from 1st July to 1st of November is 6 months, we could do a tie in with Cambridge events for those of you that are local and do something in the Pacific.
It doesn't matter if you aren't going to participate at Cambridge it's just a topic but it would be good to see anything that is able to come along shown at Cambridge.
I'm also toying with a long term build of WWI subjects as it's the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI next year.
The pacific could also incorporate modern and post war topics just as easily as WWII.
I think it's something we should thing about as we draw nearer to close of this one.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #202 by grunzter
@ David,
Yeh i will give the next one a go, what ever it may be...
I wish i had figured it all out when this North Africa one kicked off, but that was about the time i joined this forum...

@ Gary,
I think the "Pacific' is a good idea, but as you say, keep it open from WWII to modern...
Possibly leaves it a bit open, but thats cool... :)

Grant
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by grunzter.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #203 by 1/35th Battalion
4 - Grant. I'll be happy to see you come on board these GBs, It'll make life a whole tougher with you competing too. We'll all have to step our modelling skills up several notches B)

4 - Gary - I'm happy with the format of "entry fee and winner takes all". I can't speak for any of the others though.
A Question _ How are the GB's JUDGED?
I don' mind the "Pacific" concept either. Leaves it open for a wide range of modelling potentials. Maybe we could start a New thread in the Group Build Forum for folks to present their ideas for upcoming GBs and then vote on those. Need to make that happen pretty quick though. Just an idea is all.
Coz I don't have a single kit that could be used in anything Pacific :blink:
And then start the WW1 one in November. I like the idea of something to recognize the 100 Years since that one started. And i'm sure we all have someone in our family tree who was involved in that. Makes things a little more personal like.

Cheers
David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 2 months ago #204 by Gary
Was going to use the voting on the site, one person one vote and it's tied to the account so you can't go to another PC and vote again.

More
7 years 2 months ago #205 by Fritz
That voting system sounds fair to me. Also a pacific themed GB sounds cool, would be keen to join that.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
7 years 2 months ago #206 by grunzter

1/35th Battalion wrote: 4 - Grant. I'll be happy to see you come on board these GBs, It'll make life a whole tougher with you competing too. We'll all have to step our modelling skills up several notches B)
Cheers
David

haha... i never finish anything, and still have a lot to learn!

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #207 by 1/35th Battalion
[quote="haha... i never finish anything, and still have a lot to learn![/quote]

And a few things to teach us as well. The whole modelling thing is one big long learning experience.
This build for me has been first times for Resin anything, brass wire, PE, white glue and probably several other things. Oh yeah, the new need for MAGNIFICATION :woohoo:

And the timeframe of a GB gets us to finish things . . .

David

See yuh in the next one . . .

On the Bench:

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary