KM Group Build North Afrika and the Desert War (1/35th Battalion)

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • 1/35th Battalion
  • 1/35th Battalion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #1 by 1/35th Battalion
I am going to do a wee Dio in the Desert using this stuff:

Attachment 215038981.jpg not found

Upgraded with this

Attachment BlackDog.jpg not found

Attachment 232440069.jpg not found

Attachment ETEA35-003_LRG.jpg not found

Attachment LF0064.jpg not found

Attachment VP1459_MED.jpg not found

All these kits I have purchased in the last couple of days from TradeMe, BNA and Lucky Model so will have to wait for anything to arrive before beginning. Out of the six figures that I will eventually have i will choose the four most appropriate for the scene I set.

All the best to everyone giving this build a go. Have a ball. And GOOD LUCK! B)

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by Dads Army
Looking forward to watching 1/35 B)

"Rough as Guts Production's"

More
7 years 9 months ago #3 by Bishop
We should have some great builds in this. That's a nice lot of gear.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by RED
looking forward to seeing this one, I have the SAS jeep on the shelf of shame at the moment waiting to be finished (not in this GB though) and haven't even looked at what I am going to do for this GB

looks like you have some nice goodies there though

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #5 by 1/35th Battalion
Cheers guys.

No point in hiding the plan. Just need all the bits to land on the workbench now. :pray:
I've pretty much always been an out of the box kinda guy so this build will be a whole lot of firsts for me. First Jeep build in any scale (and I'm doing two), first kit conversion using aftermarket product, first resin figures, first PE accessories. first real challenges in modelling, first KM competition . . .

I'll be interested to see what you come up with Red.
What about you DA? You coming on board with this, I note that you voted on it?

I do find it interesting that the original topic that won the vote being; North Africa and the Desert Wars, has now become North Africa and Italy. Hmmmmm, do I detect a plot that includes models already in someones stash? :evil:

David

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

More
7 years 9 months ago #6 by Glenn
Nice collection of kits for your build :)
I was thinking about doing a SAS jeep also :lol:

Have not made up my mind yet,Panzer IV,250/3 halftrack,Going to have to find some photos :pray:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago #7 by 1/35th Battalion

On the Bench:

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #8 by Dads Army
I'm in alright :cowboy:
Not quite sure what I'll build though ........ might find an interesting photo and try and replicate the vehicle, or plane / camel / etc.
One story that puts shivers up my spine is the breakout from Minquar Quaim, where NZ forces where surrounded by Germans, and the Maori Battalion led the charge with bayonets in early hours.
Also the exploits of Sir Charles Upham amaze me, but it's difficult to build a model with an individual as the theme :dunno:
I'll give it some thought over the next few days.

Also, I think it was originally suggested as North Africa & the Mediterranean, which would encompass Italy making these Bison Decals quite useful to someone.
I'm not the seller, I've just been watching them but doubt I'd use them :)

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Dads Army. Reason: Timeout safety

More
7 years 9 months ago #9 by Gary

1/35th Battalion wrote: I do find it interesting that the original topic that won the vote being; North Africa and the Desert Wars, has now become North Africa and Italy. Hmmmmm, do I detect a plot that includes models already in someones stash? :evil:

David

Nah I just forgot what I called it :oops: :blush:

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 9 months ago #10 by CyNaKyL
I'm pretty sure North Africa and the Mediterranean(sp?) covers it... That's what I reckon anyway... :whistle:

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
7 years 9 months ago #11 by Gary
I consider the MTO as it was officially called part of North Africa anyway based on 205 Group RAF operations (they operated from Libya to Foggia and flew operations to Romania, Yugoslavia and Germany).

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago #12 by 1/35th Battalion
OK So lets go with what we've got. North Afrika and the Med. That sure does open up the options, although i'm already committed to SAS jeeps 'n crew.
Enjoy. :woohoo:

On the Bench:

More
7 years 9 months ago #13 by Glenn
Thanks for the photo links 1/35,maybe a chevy truck in german hands :woohoo:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago #14 by 1/35th Battalion
Now we're talkin' ;) Great idea that man.

Good luck getting a good chevy truck of the right type though. Unless you already have one. If so I want it :evil:

Happy modellin'

On the Bench:

More
7 years 9 months ago #15 by Tiger
Looks and sounds like you all are going to enjoy this. I like those Jeeps Dave I think they will come out pretty nice. Now every one keep your gloves on and no biting, hair pulling or name calling. Keep it clean and have a good fight LOL. Good luck all of you, I will watch.
Dave

More
7 years 9 months ago #16 by Glenn

1/35th Battalion wrote: Now we're talkin' ;) Great idea that man.

Good luck getting a good chevy truck of the right type though. Unless you already have one. If so I want it :evil:

Happy modellin'

Hey 1/35 sorry for mucking up your thread :)
Would a chevy CWT 15 Truck be the right type?,if not I am going to build a panzer 2 Dio based on a photo I have.

More
7 years 9 months ago #17 by Dads Army

weldingrod wrote:

1/35th Battalion wrote: Now we're talkin' ;) Great idea that man.

Happy modellin'

Hey 1/35 sorry for mucking up your thread :)
Would a chevy CWT 15 Truck be the right type?,if not I am going to build a panzer 2 Dio based on a photo I have.

Like this?

Sorry also for jumping into your thread 1/35 :blush:

Attachments:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago #18 by 1/35th Battalion
It seems that the chevy truck idea is done with ( nice dio too) so I guess you're up for the Panzer II dio Welderman.

And what is it with my thread that's got you folks all stickn' your two bob's worth in it.in it? :evil:

On the Bench:

More
7 years 9 months ago #19 by Dads Army
Sorry again 1/35 :oops: , but I must clarify that the captured Chev is not my work, just a photo I swiped off the web a few years ago, so I don't even know who to credit the brilliant work to.
I just put it out there as an idea, as that appeared to be what was being discussed at the time :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #20 by Glenn
Thanks for the photos :) I was thinking the chev truck + 250 halftrack+some figures.
Maybe we can turn this in a group build discussion thread or get a mod to clean it up :pray:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #21 by 1/35th Battalion
Yeah, 250 halftrack and something captured was on my list too, but you know what it's like when the opportunity arises and yuh just gotta do whats been taking your fancy for such along time even though it's been done to death by so many others over the years. Hey, you've just gotta go with it, thus the SAS theme Jeeps. Scratchin' an Itch . . . so to speak.

Two jeeps just arrived by courier today :woohoo: and have had my order shipping confirmations from BNA and Lucky Model, so should see more bits on the bench within about ten days. :silly: AND have just ordered two more Jeep PE upgrade sets from BNA too. Going all out on this build.

But Wait - There's More. I've just bid on these figures offered by our man Dean on TradeMe. (Afrika CorpTankers)
www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=518395480 but I only want two parts of that set, so if the Welder wants the Africa Korps figures, or any one else, Then they are yours. First in, as they say, and a deal can be done.

Certainly lookin forward to see what others come up with.

Cheers you lot

David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 9 months ago #22 by Glenn
Hi Dave :) Thanks for the offer mate,I have that set in the stash,what figures, bits are you using from it?
I also have the tamiya 250/3 figure set,made the rommel figure,rest of the figures in that set might scrub up ok with new heads and a bit of carving :pray:

Pm me the details for the tamiya 250/3kit,I have the dragon set to use for this build,but can never have to many :woohoo:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #23 by 1/35th Battalion
Hey . . . almost everything is now on the workbench. Well actually its all in one box waiting for the workbench to get cleaned up so I can start on this build.

Has anyone here ever used any Black Dog resin accessories for any of thier workings?
Mine arrived the other day and when I checked all the bits out many are damaged, parts are missing and it would have to be the worst resin I have ever seen, ranging from really soft to ultra brittle. So brittle in fact that several pieces of the castings came off at a mere touch. Things like moulded on straps and frames just came away when I picked the pieces up. So far I'm NOT Impressed.
I had hoped to only use parts from this update set for both jeeps but have now also purchased the Legend Update set for SAS Jeeps (2x Vehicles). Out of the two kits I should be able to set up both jeeps reasonably well. Unfortunately the .50 cals and Vickers MGs are not very good reproductions in either kit so I will use the Tamiya originals and update parts to create something usable. Fortunately the stowage main parts in each Update kit are good and will really set these jeeps up nicely.

Have also added a few items to the stash for both this build and other stuff.

Legend - SAS Jeep Conversion Set - for two vehicles (as noted above).
Academy - U.S. Machine Gun Set (Just in case the .50 cal for Jeeps needs something sortin')
Aber - PE Buckles and Straps
Verlinden - PE Toolset
A Second Tamiya SAS Jeep and Crew ('coz the Italieri one is inaccurate and has some flaws)
MB's Africa Corp Tankmen (for the Arab and Donkey) Thanks Dean
FSM/Shep Paine - "How to Build Dioramas 2nd Ed" softcover (Brand New off TradeMe)
"This is the SAS - A Pictorial History of the Special Air Service Regiment" Hardback in Excellent condition for $5 from the local Sunday Market. Amazing what turns up just when you need it.
"Converting Model Figures" on layby at the local hobby store. (just ordered MB LRDG Crew Figures from BNA - This will give me a total of around 11-12 figures (4 Tamiya, 2 Verlinden, 2 Legend plus MasterBox Set) to choose from for the four required to rework for the dio + the Arab)

Will post photo's soon. All for now. The TENSION is Building ;)

On the Bench:

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 8 months ago #24 by Andrew
I was looking at a set of Black Dog stuff for my project, but am a little hesitant now, after reading about your experience

Have you been in contact with Black Dog, or the supplier?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 8 months ago #25 by 1/35th Battalion
Hi Andrew.
Most of the Black Dog set is actually ok. It is the very fine stuff where the problem lies and with some of the fine detail work on outer surfaces which is somewhat fragile, but the bulk of the heavy solid parts, i.e the main stowage, is just fine and it would seem that the LRDG set is mostly of that ilk. Large bulky parts.

I have not as yet been in contact with the supplier, but suppose that that is a good place to start, especially considering that I have just made another purchase from them. :whistle:

I have posted links to LRDG items on your Group Build Post. My experience with Lucky Model has been good so far with goods arriving within a 10 day period.

Cheers

On the Bench:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

More
7 years 8 months ago #26 by Gary
Ha YOU'RE Devo56!! My arch nemesis!!! I can't remember what on or when but we've crossed swords on TM before!!! :D
I might look and see if I can't add a field to our profiles so people can see who we are on TM, I'd hate to think I was having a bidding war with someone from here.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 8 months ago #27 by 1/35th Battalion

Ha YOU'RE Devo56!! My arch nemesis!!! I can't remember what on or when but we've crossed swords on TM before!!!
I might look and see if I can't add a field to our profiles so people can see who we are on TM, I'd hate to think I was having a bidding war with someone from here.

Yes G1, 'tis I. Have at.
Sorry if I out bid you on sumfin tho. NOT!! :woohoo: :evil: :whistle:
Swords? Nah, In my day I was the muggins that carried the bloody 'Jimpy'. B)

Yes I have, on occassion, wondered whether I was actually bidding against some members from over here.
The Field in our profiles is a geat suggestion too. I'd be happy to be part of that info share.
And I don't actually bid on anything I don't have plans for and was really looking to get. Not that a little friendly competition ever hurt anyone, mind :dry: It could be useful to know whether a member REALLY wanted that thing and was perhaps willing to move it to a place where it may be better used :whistle:

On the Bench:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 8 months ago #28 by Andrew
Ok, thanks David :) I'm convinced now to go with the Black Dog set, but do you think Luckymodel have it in stock :evil:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 8 months ago #29 by 1/35th Battalion
Hi Andrew

The Lucky Model site only lists the Black Dog LRDG set as "Available". What that appears to mean is that they either have it in storage offsite, or they get it in direct from BD. Whatever - they suggest a further 3 - 5 days for your order to be processed and shipped. If you have access to the BD set through other channels I might be tempted to go that way should it prove quicker.

Cheers
David

On the Bench:

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 8 months ago #30 by CyNaKyL
I've heard that about Lucky Model before too, that unless it says "in stock" don't bother ordering it cause if it says available it can take anywhere from a few days to months for them to get it. Best to stick with only the ones that say In stock.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary