NASCAR Group Build
Start Date: 23/11/2015
End Date: 21/11/2016
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity! Let's Go Racing Boys!! A famous cry as millions of viewers across America, and the rest of world tune in to watch the high adrenaline sport of NASCAR racing
We will be commencing a Kiwimodeller NASCAR Group Build, beginning 00:00 Monday 23rd November and running through to 23:59 21st November 2016
The build is open to any scale, but is limited to vehicles from the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Xfinity Series. Historical NASCAR vehicles are also eligible
The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread. By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread.
There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome
The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 18th of September 2016, ending Midday the 25th of October 2016. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
I have a couple of Nascar kits but narowed it down to this AMT #17 Dewalt Tauris. I am 99% sure this was purchased from Rick.
Build wise it will be nearly box stock but with some added detailing just to dress it up a bit.
Not a huge fan of building more then one kit at a time but I might have to over come that with all the GBs happening. Bring on the fun.
Getting rid of the kit chrome in some Simple Green detergent. It takes a bit longer then oven cleaner but much nicer to work with.
Really dis like the linkages being all molded into the gearbox. To make them look a bit better going to have a go at replace them with brass rod. Will do a mockup of the brass before I rip into the chopping lol
Test fitting the body panels plus got the chassis and engine parts ready for primer.
Trying something new this time, not doing a major clean up before laying down the grey primer. The idea behind this is the primer always finds more areas that requires clean up so might as well help out my eyes and find the areas at once.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Michaels Models.
kiwigav wrote: I agree Simple Green a much cleaner solution to work with
The chrome has proved to be really stubborn. After being in the Simple Green for about 4 days I placed it into Jenola which has worked a little bit but I am now having to revert to the oven cleaner to finish it off.
Wel, now you can get on yo your next stage I've used oven cleaner from the get go on taking the chrome off (from seeing what people done on here) and it works a charm. I only have to have it in there for about 2-3 hours and most of it's gone
I remove it due to parts having flash, and also when you cut the parts off the sprue, there is that slight part which isn't chromed... and then trying to fix that up is pretty impossible... that's why I do it anyways.
Bishop wrote: A question. Why do you all remove the kit chrome. Is it too bright or not consistent in coverage or what?
Xtr3meNZer wrote: I remove it due to parts having flash, and also when you cut the parts off the sprue, there is that slight part which isn't chromed... and then trying to fix that up is pretty impossible... that's why I do it anyways.
Revell is shocking at having the spure tag on a visible area, Tamiya is most of the time is nicer and have the tags in a better position on the part.
Plus some of the time the chrome looks a little to toy like.
Finally sprayed some primer yesterday... it isn't much but at least it is a start lol.
I got to use all the items I had been making and setting up since September last year and the setup still needs some fine tuning but so far very happy.
My spraying was not flash but that is no big problem since I was spraying on parts that had very little cleaning up. I think I have posted it before that I am trying something new this time.
I am not doing any major clean up before laying down the grey primer. The idea behind this is the primer always finds more areas that requires clean up so might as well help out my eyes and find the areas at once.
So far this new idea looks to be working with the primer finding more then I had noticed, good old Revell kits lol
Now to keep building lol
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Michaels Models.
Looks like good start. I've never tried the simple green 'chrome stripper' - oven cleaner has always been my weapon of choice, but I'm pretty careful with the stuff. I still have a small scar on my ankle from a drop of oven cleaner 20 years ago!
Interesting theory on priming first. I might try it sometime.
I find a lot depends on the colour of the plastic - white (which your kit is) being the hardest to spot flaws in. The blue plastic on the Superbird kit is ok thankfully.