Open to scales 1//72 - 1/24. Aftermarket and scratch built additions welcome.
Start Date: 12 December 2015
End Date: 11 November 2016

No Cost, but donations welcome to Kiwimodeller.

One winner to be decided by public vote on KM forum. Minimum 5 pictures of finished model to be submitted to relevant thread for judging.

One winner to be decided by competition judges at the 2016 Armistice Show model competition.

Build logs encouraged and begin with a compulsory image of the kit box and contents.

All entries to be registered on KM Helicopter Group Build forum.

Part assembled kits OK to enter up to approx 20% assembled. Moderators to approve.

Moderators Hadley and Viperbuilder.

Entry #2 - K2 - 1/48 AH-64D Apache Longbow - Hasegawa

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Xtr3meNZer
  • Xtr3meNZer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 3 months ago #1 by Xtr3meNZer
While I am waiting on the mask to come through for the Cobra, thought I would bring this one out and give it a whirl.

Hopefully it's ok to have two entries :) If not, I'll just make this an ordinary build log :)

Box art and sprue shot

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 3 months ago #2 by Xtr3meNZer
Have been working on this slowley - There is so much more detail than the Cobra, that's for sure! I have painted the interior, and cockpit, and tonight will look at painting the consoles etc. I don't have any pics, as it wasn't the best light, and all it was was black...

Now question for those in the know, iridescent film - Anyone know where I can get this stuff? There are a couple of screens on here which I would like to have in it, and also future jet builds may need it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

More
4 years 3 months ago #3 by Grant
Will be following this. I should get this kit at some stage, it looks sweet. :silly:

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #4 by Fritz
Cool I will be watching this one. I have been tempted to get one of these. Hasegawa make those iridescent films. I am not sure if they are available in NZ though.

Link HERE You can get other types like the ones for HUDs etc.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Fritz.

• Woadism
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 3 months ago #5 by Woadism
Re. iridescent film, I've been wondering if a high-shine metallic (say an Alclad chrome or something) covered by a translucent colour might achieve a similar effect?

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 3 months ago #6 by Xtr3meNZer
Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines if I can't find some. It says on the instructions to mix clear blue and clear green. Being that it's such a small area that it needs to happen to, wasn't really keen on mixing paints, and have seen tome really good results with the film.

Thanks Fritz, hopefully I can find some in NZ... Hopefully

More
4 years 3 months ago #7 by Flying_Kiwi
Yep Alcald even have the metallic green/ purple/violet colors that you'd be after. at $22-$27 its a lot of cash for paint but you'd be lucky to finish a bottle if you are only doing small stuff. spraying small area's you will really really need to practice with Alclad and the correct air pressure. lower the better.

The paint is freaking bullet proof,... when it dries its mask-able (10-20 mins), after 32 hours of curing its going to stay. i can't even wipe it off the bottles with lacquer thinner.

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 3 months ago #8 by CyNaKyL
I've gotten some of the hasegawa film before from Model Air in aucks. I don't remember where I saw it but apparently if you take an old cd, you can somehow peel the top layer off whihc leaves you with a very fine flexible iridescant film. The colour won't be as dense as paint etc but could be a good way to try it. I'll see if I can find where I saw it.
Was tossing up whether or not to do my hasegawa ah64i (complete with included resin) for the helo gb but still haven't deciding what or if I will build something, either the saraf, halo or hokum...

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 3 months ago #9 by Xtr3meNZer
Cheers guys,

At this stage, I wont be going for the Alclad, as it is expensive, and also I don't have an airbrush capable of doing fine work currently, and wont have one for a while I don't think ( :( ) So for the moment, hope for the film, or try to sort something else out. I think I have clear blue/green.. so Might just have to use that

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #10 by Xtr3meNZer
Sooo... this build is going to go on hold I think. Just looking through the list of models to make for certain group builds, and for the Armistice this year, I don't think I can fit this one in, as I can imagine it would take me up to 1.5 months to build it properly. So for now this one is on hold.

Next build will be up once I have done the Cobra :) Not shelved to the doom shelf, just put to the side to accommodate other models and GB's :P

More
4 years 2 months ago #11 by Hadley

Xtr3meNZer wrote: Sooo... this build is going to go on hold I think. Just looking through the list of models to make for certain group builds, and for the Armistice this year, I don't think I can fit this one in, as I can imagine it would take me up to 1.5 months to build it properly. So for now this one is on hold.

Next build will be up once I have done the Cobra :) Not shelved to the doom shelf, just put to the side to accommodate other models and GB's :P

:angry:
Lol

In the build:
3x 1/24 Subaru rally cars
1/35 AH-6J Little bird
1/48 AH-1W Cobra

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #12 by Xtr3meNZer
I knew if one person was going to comment on it, it would be you :P

Don't worry, I will be building it sometime in the future :P Just have a fair whack to build first

Moderators: Andrew